Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > General > Basement Finishing and Renovations

Basement Finishing and Renovations Has it been 2 years already? Time to work on finishing the basement into some extra living space.

Old 2012-12-03, 02:21 PM
Regular User

Default Keep insulation or remove?

Hi There,

Looking at framing the unfinished basement. Tamarack uses the bag / blanket insulation (R12 I believe) on the exterior walls. The exterior walls are not framed and as I need to start getting some partitions up, I am wondering if this is adequate or should it be taken down and go the spray route or batts?

Thoughts?

Thanks
Old 2012-12-03, 03:14 PM
Regular User

Rip it out and spray foam. Call kinlar to do it. You won't be sorry
Old 2012-12-03, 03:51 PM
Regular User

remove whats there, build the wall 1.5 inch off the concrete, foam the wall, fill the stud spaces with insulation from the bags (not using the poly)

check with city building inspection dept to ask if the stud cavity must be filled and what they require for vapour barriers these days
Old 2012-12-03, 04:35 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by good2know View Post
remove whats there, build the wall 1.5 inch off the concrete, foam the wall, fill the stud spaces with insulation from the bags
If you are putting spray foam on the wall and then filling the 2x4 wall with the bag insulation aren't you putting the vapor barrier on the outside of the bag insulation? Would this be allowed?
Old 2012-12-03, 04:56 PM
Regular User

to clarify, the poly on the existing bag system is discarded

so its a matter of confirmation with the city regarding different foam thicknesses, whether the stud cavity needs to be filled, and if they still require a vapour barrier on the warm side of the wall
Old 2012-12-04, 11:31 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by good2know View Post
remove whats there, build the wall 1.5 inch off the concrete, foam the wall, fill the stud spaces with insulation from the bags (not using the poly)

check with city building inspection dept to ask if the stud cavity must be filled and what they require for vapour barriers these days
I like the idea of repurposing the bagged insultation into the stud walls. I'll check with the city for what meets code. Great suggestion, thanks.

Definitely seems like spray foaming is the way to go.
Old 2012-12-04, 11:57 AM
Regular User

For our basement, the spray foam did not need vapour barrier - just the drywall. The city inspector needed the documents from the insulation company (in our case, Kinlar) before signing off on the need for vapour barrier or not.

We also re-purposed our insulation but chose to put it in between the floor joists and the newly built interior walls for sound proofing.

For us, there was not enough room to fill the space between the exterior walls. It would have been too compressed as the foam spread out about half way onto the 2x4s.

As an aside... Kinlar was overall good.
They showed up on the day they were supposed to but they came with not enough material to finish the job. This was important as the city inspection for insulation was already booked against the timeline Kinlar gave us.

We were able to change the inspection date and Kinlar compensated us (although it did take over two months and another couple phone calls).

There were areas in the rim joists that either did not receive any insulation, or little insulation. To be sure, they were difficult areas to get at but one was at least 12 feet long. This should have been done right the first time, or they should have noticed it themselves after completing the job.

After I poked a video camera in behind an area I suspected had a deficit and was able to confirm missing insulation, Kinlar came back and filled the holes with no problems. If they had realised the issue and moved to fix the problems themselves, I would have been very impressed.

So... in the end... There were problems, but Kinlar fixed them (with some prodding).

Last edited by bcpl; 2012-12-04 at 12:07 PM.
Old 2012-12-04, 02:01 PM
Regular User

I posted an ad on kijiji and someone picked mine up for free to reuse in a garage they were building