Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > General > Basement Finishing and Renovations

Basement Finishing and Renovations Has it been 2 years already? Time to work on finishing the basement into some extra living space.

Old 2012-12-25, 11:59 PM
Regular User

Default Basement Finishing - So Many Options for First Steps. Opinions?

I'm going to start work on my basement in the coming weeks. This will be my second basement job in a new home. The last time, I used thick underpad and carpet but this time, despite no complaints with the last basement, I think I'd like to go with a subfloor of sorts.

I've read a few article online about issues, particularly with stink/smell when using Dricore, so I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with the Barricade System (http://www.ovrx.com/)?

Also, for insulation I'm leaning towards spray foam. I know it will cost a ton of cash but I'm really not in the mood for spending roughly the same amount of money trying to adhere styrofoam panels flush against the poured foundation. With that in mind, how far out from the foundation wall would you build your wall?

Lastly, has anyone tried the Tigerfoam kits online? I'm just looking at insulating around the living space (about 3/4 of the perimeter of my basement), and it's pretty straightforward. Curious to know if anyone can say it worked really well or it was a total waste of $800.
Old 2012-12-26, 01:12 PM
Regular User

I haven't heard of odor problems with Dricore but then again I don't know anyone who has installed it. I'd be interested in reading what you have found. I too am in the planning stages for my basement.

My in-laws installed Barricade and haven't had any issues so far. The floor feels firm and they installed engineered hardwood over top.

Lowes sells a DIY sprayfoam kit called touch-in foam Pro. (www.touch-n-foam.com/pro/index.php) I have considered using this kit and assume it's very similar to tigerfoam. The kit does 600 sq/ft for $789.00. My understanding is you still need to add batts on top. The foam expands to about 1 inch which provides R5.5.

I'd really love to hire a professional spray foam company but I'm sure the cost is 3X.
Old 2012-12-26, 01:38 PM
Regular User

do spray foam. It has made a huge difference in our whole house in terms of warmth. For what it would cost to do compared with what you would do with batts or foam, it's really not that much more when you compare it to the cost of doing your basement. I would spend my $ on the spray foam instead of the dricore.
Old 2012-12-26, 05:55 PM
Regular User

Barricade looks like 1/2" extruded polystyrene with 3/4" OSB laminated to it, in typical 2'square panels. If you're gonna go with that system, why not just buy full sheets of xps and osb?

If you're looking at this system. Only go with it in the floor. For walls, go with 2" xps with spray foamed joints behind studs, or build the stud wall 1" from the foundation wall and spray foam the wall and joist cavities. I'll be going with one of those two systems. For the floor, I'll be going with a dimpled membrane product. Not sure which one yet.
Old 2012-12-26, 11:25 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark & Lynda View Post
I haven't heard of odor problems with Dricore but then again I don't know anyone who has installed it. I'd be interested in reading what you have found. I too am in the planning stages for my basement.

My in-laws installed Barricade and haven't had any issues so far. The floor feels firm and they installed engineered hardwood over top.

Lowes sells a DIY sprayfoam kit called touch-in foam Pro. (www.touch-n-foam.com/pro/index.php) I have considered using this kit and assume it's very similar to tigerfoam. The kit does 600 sq/ft for $789.00. My understanding is you still need to add batts on top. The foam expands to about 1 inch which provides R5.5.

I'd really love to hire a professional spray foam company but I'm sure the cost is 3X.
It was this I read about dricore - http://www.cqs.com/homeqa/dricore.htm

I've decided to go with blue wood on barricade tiles.
Old 2012-12-27, 01:10 AM
Regular User

I've read that article before. It's outdated.

Dricore redesigned the bottom layer and no longer use a cup design that can trap moisture. He also refers to the panel as chip board which it is not. It's OSB.
Old 2012-12-27, 01:12 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BartBandy View Post
Barricade looks like 1/2" extruded polystyrene with 3/4" OSB laminated to it, in typical 2'square panels. If you're gonna go with that system, why not just buy full sheets of xps and osb?
I was considering that option but I cannot get a 4x8 sheet of plywood/OSB down to the basement. I also don't want to tapcon hundreds of screws into the concrete floor.
Old 2012-12-28, 02:52 PM
Regular User

Has anybody tried (or can anybody see any issues with) framing AND spray foaming over the existing builder insulation?

I'd like to remove the builder's stuff but it's a lot of work, so I thought about just building the frame about an inch off the existing stuff (which goes almost all the way to the floor by the way), then spray foaming that. This way the vapour barrier wouldn't be broken or on the wrong side. Instead, it would just be added to by the foam.

Any thoughts?
Old 2012-12-28, 04:21 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by djBern View Post
Has anybody tried (or can anybody see any issues with) framing AND spray foaming over the existing builder insulation?

I'd like to remove the builder's stuff but it's a lot of work, so I thought about just building the frame about an inch off the existing stuff (which goes almost all the way to the floor by the way), then spray foaming that. This way the vapour barrier wouldn't be broken or on the wrong side. Instead, it would just be added to by the foam.

Any thoughts?
get rid of the builder insulation and spray foam the bare walls. This is the only way to do it. The spray foam will act as the vapour barrier.
Old 2012-12-29, 11:53 AM
Regular User

Yeah, even though its a waste. Anyone know of anyone who would want the used insulation? I seriously doubt it, but it's worth the question.