Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > General > Basement Finishing and Renovations

Basement Finishing and Renovations Has it been 2 years already? Time to work on finishing the basement into some extra living space.

Old 2012-12-29, 08:56 PM
Regular User

You could use it in your ceilings or in other areas of your home.

I've also heard of people giving it away on Kijiji to someone who wants it for a cottage/hunting camp etc.

It really is junk though. After cutting it some of it out this week you can really see how it's only about 3/4" thick where it's "riveted" to the walls.

Sooo glad I decided to rip it out. Oh, and the pockets of condensation along the rim joists where the vapour barrier is full of slack....another reason to "gut it".
Old 2012-12-30, 09:41 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrudge View Post

I've read a few article online about issues, particularly with stink/smell when using Dricore, so I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with the Barricade System (http://www.ovrx.com/)?
I used about 600 Sq/ft of ovrx and it worked very well, was easy to install, minimal off gasing and provides a great sub-floor to accommodate virtually any flooring. It works out to about 1.50 per sq/ft, but if you wait for a sale plus use the Rona/HD card there can be another discount.

Below are a few pics that give you an idea of the difference in floor temp. First pic is the raw concrete subsequent pic is the subfloor with laminate on top, it can be anywhere from 4 -6 degrees Celsius difference.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00403-20121230-0819.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	74.9 KB
ID:	10358   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00404-20121230-0822.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	125.3 KB
ID:	10359  
Old 2012-12-30, 03:37 PM
Regular User

Looks like I made a good call. I've gone about halfway across my basement now.
Old 2013-01-24, 07:12 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffjc View Post
get rid of the builder insulation and spray foam the bare walls. This is the only way to do it. The spray foam will act as the vapour barrier.
I was thinking along the lines of spraying right on the builder's poly, sealing up any leaks in the process.

So it would be something like this:

concrete|batt insulation|poly vapour barrier|spray foam

does this sound crazy?
Old 2013-01-24, 11:07 PM
Regular User

Yes... crazy.

The foam goes agains the concrete to seal up everything (in particular the sill plate) right away

Quote:
Originally Posted by djBern View Post
I was thinking along the lines of spraying right on the builder's poly, sealing up any leaks in the process.

So it would be something like this:

concrete|batt insulation|poly vapour barrier|spray foam

does this sound crazy?
Old 2013-01-25, 09:39 AM
Regular User

@DJbern

not to sound condescending but I think you should hire someone, if the thought of what you proposed even crossed your mind I have a feeling that construction is not your forte.
Old 2013-01-25, 10:11 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.F.D. View Post
@DJbern

not to sound condescending but I think you should hire someone, if the thought of what you proposed even crossed your mind I have a feeling that construction is not your forte.
No worries R.F.D. Just thinking out loud. My plan was actually to leave the builder's insulation and build the frame over that.

I figured spraying foam on it will improve the insulation value even more than just the builder's stuff alone, but if you guys don't think it's a good idea then it's not a good idea. I'm no expert, thus the questions.
Old 2013-01-25, 10:15 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrudge View Post
Looks like I made a good call. I've gone about halfway across my basement now.
Many products make claims of what they can do however it is hard to gauge their truth until tested....well I got to test my barricade flooring last night. I was flooding my sons rink with hot water and the hose was running through the basement window into the mess room (bare concrete), as I'm admiring my mirror-like rink finish after a 160 degree hot flood I noticed my hose lost total pressure, sure enough the cheap hose that fed the main hose burst, its amazing how much water can accumulate at full pressure in about 2 minutes. Nonetheless water began to follow the slope of the floor and made its way under the barricade flooring in other rooms, to my relief and absolute surprise the water went towards the drains using the small channels in the flooring, so minor flood, no damage, totally dry basement and one kick-ass hockey rink waiting for this evening.

Barricade 100% supported.
Old 2013-01-25, 10:17 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by djBern View Post
No worries R.F.D. Just thinking out loud. My plan was actually to leave the builder's insulation and build the frame over that.

I figured spraying foam on it will improve the insulation value even more than just the builder's stuff alone, but if you guys don't think it's a good idea then it's not a good idea. I'm no expert, thus the questions.
@djbern your fallback plan is just as bad, get rid of the builder bagged insulation, do not frame over top, even if you go with something like roxul it will not cost you much at all. Better to do it right.
Old 2013-01-25, 10:26 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.F.D. View Post
@djbern your fallback plan is just as bad, get rid of the builder bagged insulation, do not frame over top, even if you go with something like roxul it will not cost you much at all. Better to do it right.

ok, I'll take that advice (it's a lot of work lol!)

Is the builder's insulation really that bad? I'm guessing even if I don't frame/finish the basement just replacing the bagged with roxul will be a big improvement? Or does this only apply if you decide to finish your basement?

Last edited by djBern; 2013-01-25 at 10:35 AM. Reason: Added last question.