Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2013-01-28, 02:56 PM
Regular User

Just changed our lot and model yesterday. It was for personal reasons, un-related to the builder. We'll now be on lot 31, with an Ashton model.

Old 2013-01-29, 07:31 PM
Regular User

I really like both those floorplans! The Westport has the bigger kitchen, which is nice. However, the Ashton looks far brighter. I especially like the amount of windows in the kitchen and family room. The powder room also gets a window, which is a big plus!

The only thing that stands out to me as a concern is the front door clearance at the front closet. They look like they could hit each other. Definitely worthwhile to go for sliders on the closet rather than the folding doors.
Old 2013-01-30, 01:00 PM

Smile

Hello,

We are also looking into purchasing at Havecourt but are worried about the noise level.
You can’t escape airplanes in Barrhaven , but this site is also near the transit way buses and not far from the train tracks. Are the trains and the buses loud? We’ve never lived in Barrhaven .
Did anyone have the same worries when they made the purchase?
Any feedback is appreciated.
Old 2013-01-30, 02:05 PM
Regular User

Hey Sonce,

Yes, we did have the same concerns. We were originally in the market for an end unit townhome and decided we really liked the Tartan offerings at Havencourt. Unfortunately, after an afternoon of hanging out near the site of our potential townhome, we decided against it. It wasn't the noise from the airplanes or the train, it was the noise from Greenbank traffic and the transitway.

We ended up going with a semi-detached along Highbury Park Drive closer to Longfields. Now, I am just worried that Highbury Park Drive will become a busy street. I'm hoping it will be mostly local traffic.

We do find the airplanes a bit noisy at times when we have visited the site, but Ottawa is not a major international airport. Those big 747s that are the loud ones. Most of the smaller aircraft are barely audible.

I'd be happy to hear thoughts from other people in the area.
Old 2013-01-30, 06:18 PM
Regular User

We used to live in the area for almost 5 years (Berrigan Drive, right across from the elementary school) and we got used to the airplane noise, it was not big of a deal and is actually conversation starter whenever we had friends over for gathering in the back!

What I would be concerned about is the traffic and subsequent noise this area will see in the near future as I understand there are multiple projects either under way or will be started shortly. I believe Campanale is building some terrace homes right besides your neighbourhood, add the existing Richcraft terrace homes at the corner of Longfieds/Berrigan and couple of Richcraft/Larco/Cardel projects further down Longfields towards the funeral home and Longfields could become a very busy street (if it's not already is!)

I don't know how close the houses in Havencourt are to the transitway and I don't know if the City has plans to expand that stretch of Greenbank Road (from the firestation to at least Malvern) but it's something to keep an eye out for. We never heard the trains when we lived in Woodroffe Estates but again we were quite far from the tracks.

Just thought I'd post my feedback as an ex-resident of the area! Have fun and enjoy your new digs, folks!
Old 2013-01-30, 09:36 PM

Thank you so much, we will go 'explore the area' this weekend.
Old 2013-01-31, 09:24 AM
Regular User

Just a note. The time of day/week and the direction of the wind will have an impact on what you hear.

Overall, no place is perfect and it will be a very personal choice. The road noise may be problematic for some, but a mixed blessing for others. In this case, the road noise brings with it close proximity to public transit, pedestrian friendly areas (ie sidewalks), many amenities nearby, and an infill development with most infrastructure already in place.

Let us know what you choose.
Old 2013-01-31, 09:47 AM
Regular User

We seriously considered Havencourt when we were looking for a single house. We live very close to Havencourt so it was our first choice of location. We were really concerned about the noise from transit way as well as the train track. We gave it up at the end. If you don't care a lot about the noise, it is a very nice area!
Old 2013-01-31, 09:49 AM
Regular User

Just cursiou if anyone know why Tartan stoped building Castleton in Havencourt? It used to be on their webiste when we were looking but it is gone now.
Old 2013-02-11, 04:51 PM
Regular User

I bought a townhome in Havencourt as well. As for noise lvl, only the peak hours you'll find, which you'll be out of your home anyways, unless you work at home. I think it is acceptable, I went there a few times to check out before I bought.