Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2013-08-15, 03:39 PM

Default mattamybarrahevn water heater furnance in summer

hi there,
I have one of those three story houses which comes with furnace powered by the water heater.
I have noticed that every night even when the ac is on the furnace pumps hot air for a very short time. when asked Mattamy and neighbors, i was told this is by design to circulate the water.

Is this true? did anyone found a way for a workaround. the bedroom faces the est so it is hot. i installed a fan and it is okay but was wondering if i am not doing something right? circulating the water is one thing but pumping hot air is something I don't get.

Thanks
Old 2013-08-17, 07:11 PM
Regular User

I can't speak for whether or not it's "normal" but I can tell you I had the same type of home with Mattamy, and had been explained the same thing.

There is a switch (looks like a light switch) in the furnace room to actually shut off your furnace. Because you know that the hot air cycle will be once every 24 hours, I shut off the switch one night around 3am...and turned it back on a few minutes later.

All this did was make the circulation at a time I am least likely to notice it. I think the cycle lasts 5 minutes? I could be wrong...since I moved and now rent that home...

Hope that helps.
Old 2013-08-17, 08:59 PM
Regular User

It is normal but not ideal...

What happens in the winter: The circulating pump moves the hot water into the air handler during a call for heat. The Air handler is still in play during the summer. but the water is not circulating(pump off). But it does still migrate there so when your fan comes on for A/C it will blow off that hot water that migrated into the heating coil...

This can be eliminated if there are isolating shut off valves between the tank and the air handler. In the summer shut them off. A check valve can help on the hot water inlet to a point.

The important thing to know is that your not heating while cooling, but you are dumping that initial bit of hot aire off the heating coil when the fan first turns on.
Each type of system is unique and as Creditz points out some will cycle when not heating, i suspect because its potable water they want to ensure no stale water stays in the system.. Again many different ways to do hot water heating.

A visual if it helps:
http://www.adpnow.com/wp-content/upl...water_open.jpg

Last edited by TKG26; 2013-08-17 at 09:03 PM.