Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > York Region > King Township / Kleinburg Hills

King Township / Kleinburg Hills Aspen Ridge, Country Wide Homes and more!

Old 2014-03-25, 06:01 PM
Regular User

Default King City deck building permit

Has anyone in King City or surrounding area obtained a building permit for construction of a deck? We are in the process of building a deck once the weather gets warmer and are trying to obtain a permit. According to the City there has to be a setback of 5.7m (18.3 ft) from the end of the property line. I thought I misunderstood as other municipalities allow for a 7-10ft set back. However it appears that that is the case, a whopping 18ft. That doesn't leave very much room. In fact it only allows our deck to be 8.3ft deep. Granted these by laws may have been revised when King City was still farmland and houses sat on acres, when subdivisions with postage stamp size lots weren't around, but this setback by-law does not leave much room for a deck with the new subdivisions.

Anyone have any insight? Should I try to contact someone to see if an exception of some sort can be made? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Old 2014-03-25, 07:41 PM
Regular User

The Committee of Adjustment meets once a month. They are often booked two months in advance. Your application for a variance to the bylaw won't likely be heard until June, if you hurry with a design. And don't expect a massive variance to go through.

I mentioned the restrictive bylaws to someone in the planning department, and she said, and I quote, "Then you should have bought a larger lot."
Old 2014-03-26, 08:32 AM
Regular User

Thanks Craig, much appreciated. As for buying a bigger lot, I was ready for a comment like that, there's always some dumb dumb with a dumb answer.

Thanks again.
Old 2014-03-26, 02:47 PM
Regular User

I'd say about half the decks in the area are done with permits. Most are within the setbacks, by the looks of things. People with smaller backyards are often going with pavers. Some of the deeper homes are nice, but a 5' deeper home means 5' less depth to a possible deck. Also note for any gazebo, there is a maximum percentage of roof area over your lot size.