Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2014-08-15, 12:25 AM
Regular User

Default Builder asking $30K for finished basement?

My builder is asking $30,000 +HST to finish 850 sq ft basement, this includes rec room, den and full bath. It's pretty basic: stipple ceilings (just under 8ft), carpet (except tiles in bathroom), arborite vanity, low end plumbings. To upgrade 700 sq ft of carpet to laminate wood is extra $6000 +HST, for engineered hardwood $7,500 +HST. Ceiling pot lights would cost $270 +HST each!!

Should I get the builder to finish the basement? Or would it be cheaper to get it done by a contractor after I've moved in?

Thanks!
Old 2014-08-15, 07:21 AM
Regular User

I never got a quote from anyone to finish a basement, but I feel that seems a little high, I know most people say their basements are about $10,000-$20,000 to finish.
$6000 though for laminate?? That's excessive to me. I paid $4000 for laminate flooring (the kind that looks like hardwood with attacked padded backing) to do my entire house (1500sq ft...aside from doing maybe 100sq for bathrooms), so $6000 for 700sq ft to me seems WAY over priced (isn't that almost $9/sq ft?).

How long before you have to decide with your builder? Could you get some rough quote ideas from independent people?
---------------------------------------------------
Valecraft: Marseilles II End - Trailwest
June 12, 2014

覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧
Caivan: Series 1, Plan 2
June 4, 2020

Old 2014-08-15, 08:42 AM
Regular User

Builder wants to know by Tuesday!!! LOL! They already poured the foundation last week.

As for the laminate, yes, I find that price excessive! For only an extra $2 per sq ft, I'd go for the engineered hardwood over laminate for sure!
Old 2014-08-15, 08:47 AM

I have a friend who talked to the contractors working on their house and had them finish their basement for half the price that the builder charged. They got the permits for their work too. Many contractors will work on the side (evenings and weekends) for cash.
Old 2014-08-15, 08:52 AM
Regular User

It all depends. It's also a matter of warranty and convenience. What about the cost being built into the mortgage vs. out of pocket if finished afterwards?

I'd definitely just go with carpet for now. You can do the hardwood later.

We know some family who just had a basement finished, for around $15,000. Their square footage is roughly half of what my basement is. They went with a very reputable contractor though.

Old 2014-08-15, 08:57 AM
Regular User

we paid about $20K for a smaller basement about 650 sq feet about 5 years ago and did some of the work ourselves. $30K doesn't seem to far off, espcially from a builder. Personally I would wait a year or 2 to make sure its water tight. I would also spend the $ to get it spray foamed as well as it will be warmer as will the whole house.
Old 2014-08-15, 09:28 AM
Regular User

That's a very reasonable price. I'd do it. Not to mention, you don;t hav eto live wit the dust and noise

We just finished our basement (1,060 sq ft) for $45k. Major highlites include: 40 potlights, engineered hardwood throughout, tiled bathroom with glass shower, built-in cabinetry in the movie room, R20 insulation and moisture resistent drywall (green drywall) thruout, paint, permits, and wrought iron pickets and solid oak staircase to match the upstairs.

I recommend doing the base offering ($30k). You could take out the carpet and upgrade the flooring latter on. And the bonus is that it's under warrenty through the builder should anything happen.
Old 2014-08-15, 12:31 PM
Regular User

Minto charged us $12,000 to finish our 700 sqft basement. Standard finishings, no bathroom.
Old 2014-08-16, 01:13 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by multiculti View Post
Ceiling pot lights would cost $270 +HST each!!
You can buy ceiling pot lights from any electrical supplier for $45-$55 each.
Old 2014-08-16, 03:16 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellokittygirl View Post
That's a very reasonable price. I'd do it. Not to mention, you don;t hav eto live wit the dust and noise

We just finished our basement (1,060 sq ft) for $45k. Major highlites include: 40 potlights, engineered hardwood throughout, tiled bathroom with glass shower, built-in cabinetry in the movie room, R20 insulation and moisture resistent drywall (green drywall) thruout, paint, permits, and wrought iron pickets and solid oak staircase to match the upstairs.

I recommend doing the base offering ($30k). You could take out the carpet and upgrade the flooring latter on. And the bonus is that it's under warrenty through the builder should anything happen.
you have 40 pot lights in your basement? Goodness that's a healthy electrical bill!