Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2014-08-16, 10:07 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by xdarrylx View Post
you have 40 pot lights in your basement? Goodness that's a healthy electrical bill!
There all LED and not turned on all at once of course
Old 2014-08-17, 11:06 AM
Regular User

I agree it's not that bad a price considering the convenience of getting it done now, avoiding the mess later and the opportunity to work it into your mortgage. FYI bathroom is a big-ticket element of any basement - at least $5-10k depending on finishes and several trades involved.

Could you do it cheaper? Of course, if you do some of it yourself, shop around for contractors/prices, look for deals on materials etc. You might also find a basement contractor to do a lot of it for closer to the $20k mark but then you've got that shopping around/management to do later, plus the mess.

I'd go with the builder.

Last edited by richyrich; 2014-08-17 at 11:08 AM.
Old 2014-08-17, 11:23 AM
Regular User

Just wondering if your property tax will go up if you have the basement finished by the builder?

I am not sure about the legalities and insurance implications for this but I have heard some folks do not want to let the City know they have a finished basement to avoid seeing an increase in property tax and this is a(nother) reason they go with the DIY/contractor route.
Old 2014-08-17, 12:49 PM
Regular User

we have about 20 pot lights in our basement. we got a good deal on all the electrical at aroun $2200 5 years ago. So probably double that for going through the builder.
Old 2014-08-17, 12:50 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by S and H View Post
Just wondering if your property tax will go up if you have the basement finished by the builder?

I am not sure about the legalities and insurance implications for this but I have heard some folks do not want to let the City know they have a finished basement to avoid seeing an increase in property tax and this is a(nother) reason they go with the DIY/contractor route.
yes it will. more square footage = more value to your house = higher taxes.
Old 2014-08-18, 02:52 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by xdarrylx View Post
you have 40 pot lights in your basement? Goodness that's a healthy electrical bill!
We just finished ours and have about 36 50W PAR20 pots (plus 3 of those round contractor lights with three 60W bulbs for the storage areas) for about 1100 sqft. Having more lights in basement is advantageous as there is much less light coming in from windows. I'm soooo glad we have the extra lights. Makes the basement much more inviting.
Old 2014-08-20, 10:22 AM
Regular User

Quote:

On the other hand, if you plan on selling your home some buyers will expect to see the permits. I have heard of buyers not buying simply for lack of permits for work that was completed. Too many horror stories of permitless jobs I guess.
Old 2014-08-20, 08:55 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerapau View Post
On the other hand, if you plan on selling your home some buyers will expect to see the permits. I have heard of buyers not buying simply for lack of permits for work that was completed. Too many horror stories of permitless jobs I guess.
Not disagreeing with you but we also need to remember having a permit does not mean the contractors will do a fine job and vice versa e.g many DIYers pride themselves in finishing their basement the right way.

I wonder if an inspector can spot issues in a finished basement? If that is the case, a permit may be a moot point and shouldn't be the deal breaker, IMO.
Old 2014-08-20, 10:38 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Not disagreeing with you but we also need to remember having a permit does not mean the contractors will do a fine job and vice versa e.g many DIYers pride themselves in finishing their basement the right way.

I wonder if an inspector can spot issues in a finished basement? If that is the case, a permit may be a moot point and shouldn't be the deal breaker, IMO.
It's all about liability.

If anything were to happen, broken water line, electrical fire, etc, etc, what do you imagine the insurance company is going to do?

Odds are, they will ask for copies of the permits and passed inspections. If you do not have these, then you are SOL with your claim.

You are right, that it is possible that the trades may not do a great job. But at least there is a paper trail of passed inspections and permits.

Old 2014-08-21, 08:20 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlkStnBerk2 View Post
It's all about liability.

If anything were to happen, broken water line, electrical fire, etc, etc, what do you imagine the insurance company is going to do?

Odds are, they will ask for copies of the permits and passed inspections. If you do not have these, then you are SOL with your claim.

You are right, that it is possible that the trades may not do a great job. But at least there is a paper trail of passed inspections and permits.
If you do the work yourself then more than likely you will be covered even without permits.