Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Halton Region > Oakville

Old 2014-08-18, 07:51 AM
Regular User

Default HGTV: Holmes does it right - 5 yr old home

Anybody catch the episode yesterday can tell me the builder that they are referring to doing shoddy workmanship. I believe the house was right in front of Emily Carr public school on Pine Glen Rd. I believe these shows are a bit dramatized but that house sounds like a horror story!
Old 2014-08-18, 09:23 AM
Regular User

That was an older episode and the house was along postmaster and pine glen road. I live in the area so i recognized the home. Crazy to think that all your windows and doors would need replacing after 5 years (IIRC the windows were not installed properly and the alarm company drilled holes in the wrong spot for all windows causing them to fail prematurely). i wonder if anyone else on the street had similar issues or if it was an isolated case.
Old 2014-08-18, 11:43 AM
Regular User

Are they Crystal or Ballantry homes? Haven't heard great things about either builder?
Old 2014-08-18, 12:40 PM
Regular User

Sorry, no idea on the builder.
Old 2014-08-20, 07:58 PM
Regular User

Homes do not have to be old to be riddled with problems. New homes are being built too fast to monitor quality. Often trades who work for builders sacrifice quality for quantity. It's not unusual for new homes to have a long list of minor problems with a few serious issues in the mix.

http://www.hawthornevillager.com/php...hp?f=5&t=19393

Last edited by Halton Home Inspector; 2014-10-14 at 07:52 AM.
Old 2014-08-25, 10:08 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by g_goo_goo View Post
Are they Crystal or Ballantry homes? Haven't heard great things about either builder?
Do you think it's because of the contractors instead of the builders?
Old 2014-08-26, 08:56 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemingtonHomesOakville View Post
Do you think it's because of the contractors instead of the builders?
What's the difference. The builder is responsible for the contractors work and the builder is also responsible to the new home buyer.

Fact is, it is ultimately YOU who are responsible for your investment and to make sure YOU get what you paid for. One of the only ways to do that is to call someone like me.
Old 2014-10-09, 04:47 PM
Regular User

OP was correct. It is the home directly across from Emily Carr PS. The builder for that section of the street was National Homes IIRC. Hopefully it was only an isolated lemon as there seems to be a few in every single new build subdivisions.
Old 2014-10-10, 08:59 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halton Home Inspector View Post
What's the difference. The builder is responsible for the contractors work and the builder is also responsible to the new home buyer.

Fact is, it is ultimately YOU who are responsible for your investment and to make sure YOU get what you paid for. One of the only ways to do that is to call someone like me.
Also, people need to be prepared to do maintenance on their homes. Buying new doesn't absolve them from maintaining their home for the next 10 years.