Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2015-05-25, 06:03 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al14 View Post
When the red cedar gets old, it starts to rot, and fast! It hasn't smelled nice since after the first winter.

I'm looking out my dining room window right now wishing that the 28 year old, rotting and falling apart, red cedar fence, was a maintenance free PVC fence.
Quote:
Originally Posted by good2know View Post
several manufacturers offer panels with separate 'boards' in the panels which can be sloped
Which? When the neighbours down the road were getting fence quotes for their PVC, the pamphlets from multiple companies showed gaps at the lower grade posts. These were pictures right on their advertising.

The issue is not the boards. The issue is that the stringers are square. So 90 degree angle.

With wood, you can make your cuts at an angle you want, so the fence slopes uniformly down the grade.

Old 2015-05-25, 06:39 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibe View Post
We are trying to decide which PVC fence material to install Westech or All Season.
Estimates from contractors using Westech seem higher but is it really worth spending more money for Westech?
Would like to get feedback from people using Westech or All Season PVC fence for a number of years.
Which one is more durable, last longer, look better after years of use?
Any regrets about going with either type?
Thanks.
Not sure but assuming this is the same All Season fencing you're looking into, it seems as though they don't dig and install the posts into concrete so this is probably why they are cheaper.

http://www.allseasonfencing.ca/
Moved In: April 10th 2010
Old 2015-05-25, 09:56 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianT View Post
Not sure but assuming this is the same All Season fencing you're looking into, it seems as though they don't dig and install the posts into concrete so this is probably why they are cheaper.

http://www.allseasonfencing.ca/
It is the company, but All Season is the brand and in Ottawa you would have other companies installing All Season Fence so they would be using concrete. The important thing to be sure of is that the installer uses steel posts inside the H posts. Some installers just use the H post by itself in the cement without a steel post inside. Others will install a pressure treated post inside the H post. Whatever it is, just make sure you ask your installer if there are posts inside the H posts. We were surprised that not all installers included this.
Mattamy | Half Moon Bay South | Valleyfield A
Closed: July 22, 2014 and loving it!

Old 2015-05-25, 09:58 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlkStnBerk2 View Post
Which? When the neighbours down the road were getting fence quotes for their PVC, the pamphlets from multiple companies showed gaps at the lower grade posts. These were pictures right on their advertising.

The issue is not the boards. The issue is that the stringers are square. So 90 degree angle.

With wood, you can make your cuts at an angle you want, so the fence slopes uniformly down the grade.
It is actually possibly to do contouring with PVC fencing. You just have to be sure to ask for the "loose" system and not the pre fab panels. We asked about this and there were a few options. Step style (which I presume is what you don't like), contouring and then there is also step style with extra horizontal boards stacked at the base to cover the gap created by swales, etc.
Mattamy | Half Moon Bay South | Valleyfield A
Closed: July 22, 2014 and loving it!

Old 2015-05-25, 11:07 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by homeshoppin View Post
It is the company, but All Season is the brand and in Ottawa you would have other companies installing All Season Fence so they would be using concrete. The important thing to be sure of is that the installer uses steel posts inside the H posts. Some installers just use the H post by itself in the cement without a steel post inside. Others will install a pressure treated post inside the H post. Whatever it is, just make sure you ask your installer if there are posts inside the H posts. We were surprised that not all installers included this.
Yes for sure. Having a steel post inside the PVC H post (sleeve) will make the fence stronger so this is why some PVC fencing can withstand 100 mph winds.

So in other words, compare apples to apples.
Moved In: April 10th 2010
Old 2015-05-26, 08:28 AM
Regular User

Quote:

The issue is all about the boards. When individual boards that slide together are used, the fence can be racked to match the ground slope.

Preformed rectangles no.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	vinylracked.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	34.2 KB
ID:	13020  
Old 2015-05-26, 08:28 AM
Regular User

Quote:

Our neighbours had a PVC fence installed and it looks like they were able to have a sloped fence. Most of the fence is flat though with some sort of panels on the bottom that match the slope of the land but the last panel is sloped.

Here is a picture that I found which has their last panel that is sloped.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fence.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	241.4 KB
ID:	13021  
Old 2015-05-26, 10:32 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerapau View Post
Our neighbours had a PVC fence installed and it looks like they were able to have a sloped fence. Most of the fence is flat though with some sort of panels on the bottom that match the slope of the land but the last panel is sloped.

Here is a picture that I found which has their last panel that is sloped.
Thanks for the picture.

This was not shown as an option from the three companies they were deciding between, and personally, I thought that the extra horizontal boards stacked underneath, looks a bit Mickey Mouse.

The only other PVC I've seen that followed the contour, is where the top stringer stays horizontal, and longer boards are used to follow the contour. This obviously becomes an issue for fence height by-laws. As you could have a 7 foot fence near your house, and 9 feet or higher at the back of your property depending on grade slope.

What are the cost differences for the actual contouring to grade as you've shown? I imagine there is quite a bit of extra labour involved vs. the pre-fab sections??

Old 2015-05-26, 10:50 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Thanks for the picture.

This was not shown as an option from the three companies they were deciding between, and personally, I thought that the extra horizontal boards stacked underneath, looks a bit Mickey Mouse.

The only other PVC I've seen that followed the contour, is where the top stringer stays horizontal, and longer boards are used to follow the contour. This obviously becomes an issue for fence height by-laws. As you could have a 7 foot fence near your house, and 9 feet or higher at the back of your property depending on grade slope.

What are the cost differences for the actual contouring to grade as you've shown? I imagine there is quite a bit of extra labour involved vs. the pre-fab sections??
I'm not sure what the extra cost would be for that. They actually made it look a bit better (in my eyes) by not only sloping it but actually tapering it also (I believe that at the second last post the fence is 6 feet high but only 5 feet high at the last post). That way it made that steep slope near the wooded fence look a bit less steep.

I'll see if I can dig up the cost in any of our old emails (we did our ornamental iron fence at the same time by the same company and I may actually have some of the quotes for the PVC in my old emails). But if memory serves me well they just included it in the per foot cost of the fence. I don't think it was a seperate option that they quoted seperately.
Old 2015-05-26, 11:10 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerapau View Post
I'm not sure what the extra cost would be for that. They actually made it look a bit better (in my eyes) by not only sloping it but actually tapering it also (I believe that at the second last post the fence is 6 feet high but only 5 feet high at the last post). That way it made that steep slope near the wooded fence look a bit less steep.

I'll see if I can dig up the cost in any of our old emails (we did our ornamental iron fence at the same time by the same company and I may actually have some of the quotes for the PVC in my old emails). But if memory serves me well they just included it in the per foot cost of the fence. I don't think it was a seperate option that they quoted seperately.
You'd have to imagine the pre-fab sections would be cheaper per linear foot than the system that requires each board to be cut and installed, and in the case of following grade, cut as well to match?

I know there's some extra labour on the cedar side to do the same, but the material itself is cheaper than the cost of the PVC to begin with.