Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #41  
Old 2018-07-30, 12:05 PM
OttawaG OttawaG is offline
Senior Member
Regular User
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 299
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stittsville resident View Post
I don't know how it applies in fact, but I have read about the fence viewers you can hire from the government which come and hear your side of the dispute. They then decide who benefits from the fence and lay out who has to pay what. I tried getting you links but the ottawa site is down now.

The gist of what I read was that this is a provincial act, but Ottawa has nothing to deal with who pays for a fence, so it applies. Here is a link to the provincial page on it: http://www.mah.gov.on.ca/Page13730.aspx

There are threads of people arguing about if and where it applies, but you may want to contact the city of Ottawa and schedule a viewing if it applies. I remember reading that you have to have a viewing prior to construction beginning or you may not get the costs shared.

Please keep us up to date, I may be in your shoes next year. That's why I was reading about it last weekend.

Thank you so much for the info & the link. I'll keep this thread updated as & when I have any further development regarding this.
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 2018-07-30, 08:43 PM
Sarah2012 Sarah2012 is offline
Senior Member
Regular User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 294
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OttawaG View Post
Does anyone have any idea on how to persuade neighbours to pool in for fence?
I don't want to be a bummer but they have no legal obligation to share the cost with you as long as the fence is put entirely on your property.

Or if it is put on the property line the following things will happen: 1- they have to agree to it being there, 2- with their blessing, you can choose to put it there (they still don't have to chip in money), 3- if it's on the line, it is communal property once installed regardless of who paid for it.

I know this isn't what you want to hear! (I am well-versed in the fence bylaw after coordinating two multi-house fence installations so I probably know a little too much about the rules.) Ultimately, it comes down to who wants the fence the most. You can only hope that people will be 'good neighbors' and pitch in for their piece of it. But they aren't obligated to as there is no requirement that fences be placed on the property line.

We had one set of neighbors who weren't financially able to contribute....so that was our choice to make....we chose to put the fence on the line and pay for it entirely. We had other neighbors who did not agree to have the fence on the property line and did not want to contribute....so it went solely on our property. And yet another set agreed to kick in their half but later mentioned that they actually had no interest in a fence, they just wanted to be good neighbors.

One thing that may persuade the neighbors is to make them aware that a fence on your property is just that, YOURS! So they will not be allowed to stain it, hang things on it, touch it, whatever. It is your legal property.
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 2018-07-31, 09:13 AM
HMBTUX HMBTUX is offline
Senior Member
Regular User
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Posts: 290
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah2012 View Post
I don't want to be a bummer but they have no legal obligation to share the cost with you as long as the fence is put entirely on your property.

Or if it is put on the property line the following things will happen: 1- they have to agree to it being there, 2- with their blessing, you can choose to put it there (they still don't have to chip in money), 3- if it's on the line, it is communal property once installed regardless of who paid for it.

I know this isn't what you want to hear! (I am well-versed in the fence bylaw after coordinating two multi-house fence installations so I probably know a little too much about the rules.) Ultimately, it comes down to who wants the fence the most. You can only hope that people will be 'good neighbors' and pitch in for their piece of it. But they aren't obligated to as there is no requirement that fences be placed on the property line.

We had one set of neighbors who weren't financially able to contribute....so that was our choice to make....we chose to put the fence on the line and pay for it entirely. We had other neighbors who did not agree to have the fence on the property line and did not want to contribute....so it went solely on our property. And yet another set agreed to kick in their half but later mentioned that they actually had no interest in a fence, they just wanted to be good neighbors.

One thing that may persuade the neighbors is to make them aware that a fence on your property is just that, YOURS! So they will not be allowed to stain it, hang things on it, touch it, whatever. It is your legal property.
This is helpful information, thank you. I've found that fence coordinating and financing can truly reveal a lot about your neighbours. The house we bought a few yrs back had a fully PVC fenced backyard that was coordinated among a group of rear and side neighbours.... but on one side, there were two fences back to back. How silly is that? Not only did each yard get incrementally smaller, but the cost was unnecessarily higher. I tried to give that neighbour the benefit of the doubt and hope he/she truly had a fair reason for holding out like this.....but now a few years later and sure enough they are the only "bad" neighbours. Everyone else is friendly, respectful etc.
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 2018-07-31, 12:00 PM
OttawaG OttawaG is offline
Senior Member
Regular User
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 299
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah2012 View Post
I don't want to be a bummer but they have no legal obligation to share the cost with you as long as the fence is put entirely on your property.

Or if it is put on the property line the following things will happen: 1- they have to agree to it being there, 2- with their blessing, you can choose to put it there (they still don't have to chip in money), 3- if it's on the line, it is communal property once installed regardless of who paid for it.

I know this isn't what you want to hear! (I am well-versed in the fence bylaw after coordinating two multi-house fence installations so I probably know a little too much about the rules.) Ultimately, it comes down to who wants the fence the most. You can only hope that people will be 'good neighbors' and pitch in for their piece of it. But they aren't obligated to as there is no requirement that fences be placed on the property line.

We had one set of neighbors who weren't financially able to contribute....so that was our choice to make....we chose to put the fence on the line and pay for it entirely. We had other neighbors who did not agree to have the fence on the property line and did not want to contribute....so it went solely on our property. And yet another set agreed to kick in their half but later mentioned that they actually had no interest in a fence, they just wanted to be good neighbors.

One thing that may persuade the neighbors is to make them aware that a fence on your property is just that, YOURS! So they will not be allowed to stain it, hang things on it, touch it, whatever. It is your legal property.

Thanks so much Sarah for sharing your experience. Well, we have been mentally preparing ourselves for putting up entirely on our property (of course paying by ourselves). Three of us in a row are ready but each of our back-side neighbours has backed out after initially agreeing. Not that they have financial trouble because they are doing interlocking job on their entire back yard (they are saying that they don't want to keep watering/mowing the lawn....) & part of the front yard (to have more parking space) & I guess that is their priority. They are saying that they may think of pitching in half if we wait till next summer & ask them again at that time; knowing very well that most likely we won't wait another year with their uncertain answer. Anyway we are still negotiating with the fence company who seem to be too busy to come by to pick up the papers.....
Thanks again
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 2018-07-31, 12:26 PM
OttawaG OttawaG is offline
Senior Member
Regular User
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 299
Default

While on the topic of fence: in the other thread Sarah had passed on a very useful link to "fence bylaw", thank you Sarah. Our property has a sidewalk in front & also a bike-path/walkway on one side. The chain-link fence that the builder put up stops where our front porch starts. We are thinking of putting up similar looking chain-link fence (on our property though) to cover rest of our front yard just so people/pets/bikes etc don't take short cut across our front yard. There is whole lot of traffic on our front yard because of this & my lawn & all my small plants are getting trampled over. I couldn't find information on city of Ottawa fence by-laws on if the chain-link fence can go all the way up to where my property meets the corner of the sidewalk & bike path or do we have to leave part of front yard open without the fence. I read about the height restriction on the fence but nothing on if it can cover my full front yard.
Thanks so much in advance

Last edited by OttawaG; 2018-07-31 at 12:27 PM. Reason: Typos
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 2018-08-01, 10:17 AM
Sarah2012 Sarah2012 is offline
Senior Member
Regular User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 294
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OttawaG View Post
While on the topic of fence: in the other thread Sarah had passed on a very useful link to "fence bylaw", thank you Sarah. Our property has a sidewalk in front & also a bike-path/walkway on one side. The chain-link fence that the builder put up stops where our front porch starts. We are thinking of putting up similar looking chain-link fence (on our property though) to cover rest of our front yard just so people/pets/bikes etc don't take short cut across our front yard. There is whole lot of traffic on our front yard because of this & my lawn & all my small plants are getting trampled over. I couldn't find information on city of Ottawa fence by-laws on if the chain-link fence can go all the way up to where my property meets the corner of the sidewalk & bike path or do we have to leave part of front yard open without the fence. I read about the height restriction on the fence but nothing on if it can cover my full front yard.
Thanks so much in advance
There doesn't appear to be anything stopping you from fencing your front yard as long as it conforms to the 1m height restriction and you put it on your actual property line, not including the city's easement. But if I were you, I would call the city and speak to someone who knows the bylaw. Your situation is slightly unique in that you probably want to continue the full 5ft chainlink all the way up your side lot line but then it is (maybe) in your front yard, and therefore, not allowed at that height?
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 2018-08-01, 11:37 AM
OttawaG OttawaG is offline
Senior Member
Regular User
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 299
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah2012 View Post
There doesn't appear to be anything stopping you from fencing your front yard as long as it conforms to the 1m height restriction and you put it on your actual property line, not including the city's easement. But if I were you, I would call the city and speak to someone who knows the bylaw. Your situation is slightly unique in that you probably want to continue the full 5ft chainlink all the way up your side lot line but then it is (maybe) in your front yard, and therefore, not allowed at that height?

Thanks so much Sarah for the info. I think your suggestion to call the City & clarify is a very idea. I'll do that & I'll post the update here (it could come handy for other in similar situation).
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
fence, fence post

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
BBQ Season... felixw Burlington 7 2011-07-15 11:24 AM
grass: last cut of the season homie27 Home Owner Tips, Upgrades and Maintenance 12 2010-09-16 04:07 PM
BBQ Season! CBRider Ottawa 11 2010-02-23 09:25 PM
Fence Season 2009 CapitalBoo Ottawa 8 2009-05-19 10:09 AM
Season's Greetings to All John & Linda Stouffville - River Ridge, MainStreet and Country Lane 6 2006-12-23 01:19 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:09 AM.



Copyright © PHAND Corporation
This document may not be used elsewhere without the expressed written consent of PHAND Corporation.
*** There is no association between this website and any builder. ***

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.