Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2017-01-22, 08:38 PM

I would suggest contacting the sales office to obtain the most up to date spec sheet.
Old 2017-01-23, 08:10 AM
Regular User

And you may want to take the spec list and compare to some other builders....that's how we ended up in a Tartan home (closed December 2016). We love it!
Old 2017-01-31, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strawberry View Post
We are considering a 38" Mattamy Single in Traditions II - The Madison. They currently have a promo for $50K at the design centre...which sounds awesome! However, I am curious, what is standard in a Mattamy single? Things we are looking for include: 9 ft. ceilings on main, hardwood on main, tile in kitchen/entry ways, central vac rough-in, pot lights, etc. I know that the basement is not finished (standard) and that's OK. We can do that after closing. But we are worried that the 50K will be eaten up by things like 9 ft ceilings and hardwood on main - things that are often standard features with other builders.
We have a 46' single. The standards include engineered hardwood 3.5" wide on main floor, tiles for foyer, kitchen etc. 9' ceilings on main floor with the option for 9ft on the second flr (1.5k to 2.k) I think.. NO pot lights are included but they available as an upgrade. Stairs and 2nd floor landing/bedrooms are all carpet with basic underpad. Basic 92% single stage furnace but no A/C unit or HRV. NO granite tops anywhere!

The design center have price lists for the upgrades based on the models but you may be able to find them on the face.book group.
  • Upgrading the stairs to wood seems to be the biggest expense and something which is extremely disruptive to do after it is finished. Budget $5k to $10k depending on your model (oak/maple wood, picket/railing/newel upgrades and stain to match the hardwood floor). They also provide options for kitchen appliances, Furnace upgrade, A/C and HRV. The appliances are cheaper elsewhere but Mattamy will charge you $350 after tax for just putting a rough in for over the range microwave which may work out to be the same if you bought one for $500.
  • Budget $6.5k for furnace upgrade to 2 stage Variable speed 96% with AC unit and HRV.
  • Budget $10 to 20k for hardwood floors on upper and lower floors depending upgrade.
  • Smooth ceilings on main floor = $1505, 2nd floor = $2350 (kitchen, bathrooms, powder room already include smooth ceilings).
  • Join all Central Vac Rough ins and run master pipe $350
  • Additional Central Vac Rough in (additional electrical outlet must be purchased separately) $83
  • $182 Basement
  • Central Vac toe kick- black or white $190
    LED slimline potlights – Interior or Exterior use 1 w/ switch $349
    2 w/ switch $561
    4 w/ switch $909
    6 w/ switch $1277
    8 w/ switch $1589
  • TV Ready Wall above Fireplace w/ Non Direct Conduit (Unfinished Basement Below) $527
  • Stone wall around fireplace $547
  • TV Ready Wall w/ Non Direct Conduit no fireplace (Unfinished Basement Below) $527
  • TV Ready Wall w/ Recessed Electrical Outlet, HDMI cable and CAT5 Cable with or without fireplace $466
  • TV Ready Wall w/ Recessed Electrical Outlet only- no conduit run (plug directly into components at tv) $188
    Satellite Dish Wiring 1 receiver $413
    2 receivers $567
    3 receivers $721
  • Glass Showers $1.1k to $1.2k

$50k is very good though. We only got $20k.
Old 2018-05-02, 11:34 PM

Default How is the warranty work in this community?

I've heard first hand in the past of poor work/response to issues for defects in past projects for Mattamy. Just wondering for people that have taken possession, is the quality and responsiveness still very poor or have they improved or perhaps acceptable? Thanks.
Old 2018-05-03, 03:23 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by woy2014 View Post
I've heard first hand in the past of poor work/response to issues for defects in past projects for Mattamy. Just wondering for people that have taken possession, is the quality and responsiveness still very poor or have they improved or perhaps acceptable? Thanks.
That was 8-11yrs ago...they're past that phase.

That said, no builder is perfect so do your own research and be comfortable with your selection. There are good/bad stories from every home builder out there.

Having built 2 Mattamy homes, we had a brilliant experience (urban townhome and single) and are now happy in our Tamarack. I'm sure I could find several people who've had the opposite experience...just all depends on how picky/reasonable you are as I found the builder experience mirrors what you give as a customer.
Old 2018-05-03, 03:40 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by xdarrylx View Post
That is absolutely not true. Mattamy owners have posted countless horror stories in the Blackstone/Fernbank community about their homes.

Mattamy is the highest volume builder in Ottawa, they achieve this by offering the best value per sqFT, however their lot sizes are shorter than other builders (WideLot is a brilliant marketing scheme), and they have failed to adopt many features which are standard for other builders (such as 9' ceiling on first floor, and mattamy townhomes come with an unfinished basement).

Mattamy definitely cuts corners in their workmanship, standard features, and lot size, in order to keep the prices of their house low compared to other builders.
Old 2018-05-04, 06:56 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmotion777 View Post
We have a 46' single. The standards include engineered hardwood 3.5" wide on main floor, tiles for foyer, kitchen etc. 9' ceilings on main floor with the option for 9ft on the second flr (1.5k to 2.k) I think.. NO pot lights are included but they available as an upgrade. Stairs and 2nd floor landing/bedrooms are all carpet with basic underpad. Basic 92% single stage furnace but no A/C unit or HRV. NO granite tops anywhere!

The design center have price lists for the upgrades based on the models but you may be able to find them on the face.book group.
  • Upgrading the stairs to wood seems to be the biggest expense and something which is extremely disruptive to do after it is finished. Budget $5k to $10k depending on your model (oak/maple wood, picket/railing/newel upgrades and stain to match the hardwood floor). They also provide options for kitchen appliances, Furnace upgrade, A/C and HRV. The appliances are cheaper elsewhere but Mattamy will charge you $350 after tax for just putting a rough in for over the range microwave which may work out to be the same if you bought one for $500.
  • Budget $6.5k for furnace upgrade to 2 stage Variable speed 96% with AC unit and HRV.
  • Budget $10 to 20k for hardwood floors on upper and lower floors depending upgrade.
  • Smooth ceilings on main floor = $1505, 2nd floor = $2350 (kitchen, bathrooms, powder room already include smooth ceilings).
  • Join all Central Vac Rough ins and run master pipe $350
  • Additional Central Vac Rough in (additional electrical outlet must be purchased separately) $83
  • $182 Basement
  • Central Vac toe kick- black or white $190
    LED slimline potlights – Interior or Exterior use 1 w/ switch $349
    2 w/ switch $561
    4 w/ switch $909
    6 w/ switch $1277
    8 w/ switch $1589
  • TV Ready Wall above Fireplace w/ Non Direct Conduit (Unfinished Basement Below) $527
  • Stone wall around fireplace $547
  • TV Ready Wall w/ Non Direct Conduit no fireplace (Unfinished Basement Below) $527
  • TV Ready Wall w/ Recessed Electrical Outlet, HDMI cable and CAT5 Cable with or without fireplace $466
  • TV Ready Wall w/ Recessed Electrical Outlet only- no conduit run (plug directly into components at tv) $188
    Satellite Dish Wiring 1 receiver $413
    2 receivers $567
    3 receivers $721
  • Glass Showers $1.1k to $1.2k

$50k is very good though. We only got $20k.
Reiterating what I said above-many of these items are standard on a Tartan home....
Old 2018-05-04, 09:04 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by xdarrylx View Post

That said, no builder is perfect so do your own research and be comfortable with your selection. There are good/bad stories from every home builder out there.

Having built 2 Mattamy homes, we had a brilliant experience (urban townhome and single) and are now happy in our Tamarack. I'm sure I could find several people who've had the opposite experience...just all depends on how picky/reasonable you are as I found the builder experience mirrors what you give as a customer.
Mattamy still has lots of issues! There are the same as 8 years ago. Most don't talk about it here. We like many had a nightmare. It has taken me a year to get over it. The only good thing I can say good about them is that their warranty department came through.
Old 2018-05-04, 09:09 AM

Thanks for the response. I don't expect builder to be perfect as everyone has to work to a timeline and make mistakes (its only human). I've purchased homes in the past and what I found to be most important is the phase after you've taken possession in terms of whether they are professional about handling fixing defects (whether or not its up to one's standard will vary base on each person's expectation). As typically most negative posts may not be a good reflection of the average experience that is why I was trying to solicit the forum members that may of had a good experience they could share. With regards to Mattamy not having certain things standard it is true that you get what you pay for but most people are aware of the trade off as they make the decision. It's not necessarily a bad thing as it gives the consumer options at different price points.
Old 2018-05-05, 03:20 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by electricsky View Post
Mattamy is the highest volume builder in Ottawa, they achieve this by offering the best value per sqFT, however their lot sizes are shorter than other builders (WideLot is a brilliant marketing scheme), and they have failed to adopt many features which are standard for other builders (such as 9' ceiling on first floor, and mattamy townhomes come with an unfinished basement).
When I was looking Mattamy with the upgrades I wanted, was in the same ballpark as the rest. They are all competing with each other, so they know what works for them.

The widelot townhome was the reason I went with them. Most townhomes are 20' wide. Mine is 23' and that three feet made a huge difference to me as I felt that many other models felt like a bowling alley to me. I was coming from a single.

They aren't building the 23' ones anymore, but the 21' ones are still 1-2 feet wider than what's out there.

There's pros and cons out there. Personally I was looking at layout.