Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2015-11-24, 09:52 AM
Regular User

Default Whole home surge protection - Mattamy

From watching a bunch of home renovation shows, I get that having whole home surge protection is a good thing. My debate is whether I should get it as part of the builder upgrades, or if I should buy something after the fact.

The builder version says it's a one-use system and that if it is triggered that I need to replace it. I don't know if that means that a) my house is without power until I do or b) if it's something I can replace myself easily.

For after the fact purchases it appears that I'd need to get an electrician to add it in, which can get pricey.

Looking for feedback. Thanks.
Old 2015-11-24, 11:30 AM
Regular User

Suggest you repost in electronics forum. Don't know much about these but I think that's what you are protecting?
Old 2015-11-24, 12:21 PM
Regular User

It's a good thing, sure, but I don't know too many people that have a whole-home surge protector installed. I can't speak for everyone of course but in 30+ years of living in Ottawa I have never seen any electronics die due to surges.

Now, out in the country is a whole other story. I can think of a dozen things that have been damaged by surges or lightning strikes out at the campsite I volunteer with in Lanark. Mostly all electronics and AC adapters.

Personally I'd be inclined just to buy surge protected power bars for my computer and networking equipment and home audio, and leave it at that.
Old 2015-11-24, 12:40 PM
Regular User

https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.1000176390.html Lowes has it too, maybe a bit cheaper.

Only the power surge protector is needed actually. The other two are for phone and cable. Although the standalone protector is available, it does not have the capacity as the one in the pack.

The installation is very straightforward. You definitely can do it by yourself.
Old 2015-11-24, 12:43 PM
Regular User

I looked into this a few years back and ended up just getting individual surge protectors including some of these for my appliances. If they go off, I can simply replace them without bringing in an electrician and the appliance still works.

https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.a...000759630.html

The only appliances not protected right now are the stove, dishwasher and dryer.
Moved In: April 10th 2010
Old 2015-11-24, 03:00 PM
Administrator

A whole house surge protector is great, however it does not provide adequate protection for sensitive devices around the home. You should still have individual surge protectors at each location. The $20 power bars from Home Depot are not 'adequate'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4j8cH6l2YjE
For Your Home - For Your Condo - For Your Office

http://www.phand.ca/
Old 2015-11-24, 03:58 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregS View Post
A whole house surge protector is great, however it does not provide adequate protection for sensitive devices around the home. You should still have individual surge protectors at each location. The $20 power bars from Home Depot are not 'adequate'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4j8cH6l2YjE
What about the 10USD Belkin ones on amazon? They offer a $50000 guarantee and are CULUS certified
Old 2015-11-24, 04:09 PM
Regular User

I found this link with some tests of surge protectors:

http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-surge-protector/

The comments are an interesting read too, and they suggest that there are much better (and much more expensive?) options than MOV-based surge protectors. I absolutely believe this as a general premise, the question is what is "good enough" for most people.

Last edited by GreyingJay; 2015-11-24 at 04:16 PM.
Old 2015-11-24, 08:06 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianT View Post
I looked into this a few years back and ended up just getting individual surge protectors including some of these for my appliances. If they go off, I can simply replace them without bringing in an electrician and the appliance still works.

https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.a...000759630.html

The only appliances not protected right now are the stove, dishwasher and dryer.
Surge protection supposedly is tiered. The first tier is at outside of the house, which home owner does not control. The second tier is the whole house one. The third tier is the device like your posted. But they all unlikely are enough for direct lightening strike. A lightening rod is what is needed for avoiding this type of surge.

Last edited by shimh; 2015-11-24 at 08:10 PM.
Old 2015-11-24, 10:50 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by suezuki650 View Post
The builder version says it's a one-use system and that if it is triggered that I need to replace it. I don't know if that means that a) my house is without power until I do or b) if it's something I can replace myself easily.

For after the fact purchases it appears that I'd need to get an electrician to add it in, which can get pricey.
How much is the builder asking? The quote I got a couple years ago from the electrician was $300 plus permit.
Moved In: April 10th 2010