Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2017-04-08, 04:26 PM
Regular User

There will be those who don't agree with me, but I felt that since I signed the schedule Z that I was committed in some fashion. I had received information about the two tanks I could choose after signing and had some rental prices. Instead of fighting with the rental company, we bargained and came to a buyout price agreement. I no longer pay a rental company. It was a little more than getting a company in to remove the old and put in a new, but not that much more and I get peace of mind.
Old 2017-04-09, 02:19 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by suezuki650 View Post
There will be those who don't agree with me, but I felt that since I signed the schedule Z that I was committed in some fashion. I had received information about the two tanks I could choose after signing and had some rental prices. Instead of fighting with the rental company, we bargained and came to a buyout price agreement. I no longer pay a rental company. It was a little more than getting a company in to remove the old and put in a new, but not that much more and I get peace of mind.
Suezuki, once I'm a bit settled in I'll request you to give me some ideas on how you went about changing this. I find the tankless water heater very unhelpful & I'm already dreading the next winter. It takes forever to get hot water & so much water is wasted waiting for hot water, I'm sure I'll faint when I get the first water/sewerage bill
Old 2017-04-10, 10:00 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by OttawaG View Post
Suezuki, once I'm a bit settled in I'll request you to give me some ideas on how you went about changing this. I find the tankless water heater very unhelpful & I'm already dreading the next winter. It takes forever to get hot water & so much water is wasted waiting for hot water, I'm sure I'll faint when I get the first water/sewerage bill
Don't rush to sign anything with the rental company. Tell them how much you are hating the tankless. Then ask them how much to get out of the deal, how much to switch to something else. In my case I bought the tank I already had. In your case you are looking for something else. Unless your tankless is in a spot that will accommodate a tank, you are going to be looking at plumbing and gas work to set up a tank someplace else.
Old 2017-04-10, 11:03 AM
Regular User

Hey suesuki what warranty comes with that purchase?
Old 2017-04-10, 01:45 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by good2know View Post
Hey suesuki what warranty comes with that purchase?
It's the manufacturer's warranty, which off the top of my head was about 6-8 years. I looked at what I would be spending over the ten years of the rental contract, minus what I paid to buy out the tank and it still leaves me enough to buy a whole new tank during that ten year period. Odds are I won't have to, but that is worse case scenario.
Old 2017-04-10, 02:11 PM
Regular User

Quote:
You did what was right for your situation, I don't think anyone can argue with that.
Old 2017-04-10, 02:57 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Don't rush to sign anything with the rental company. Tell them how much you are hating the tankless. Then ask them how much to get out of the deal, how much to switch to something else. In my case I bought the tank I already had. In your case you are looking for something else. Unless your tankless is in a spot that will accommodate a tank, you are going to be looking at plumbing and gas work to set up a tank someplace else.

Thank Suezuki for the helpful update. We closed in early March & did not sign anything with the rental company but I need to go over the agreement that we signed with the builder to make sure there isn't anything that could indicate otherwise.
Luckily the tankless is in a spot where there is lot of room so the tank will easily fit
I truly hate the tankless & am keeping my fingers crossed
Have a nice day
Old 2017-04-19, 02:21 PM
Regular User

@OttawaG - What type and model of tank do you have?
Old 2017-04-19, 02:30 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrizia View Post
@OttawaG - What type and model of tank do you have?
Hi Patrizia, I don't have a tank, our house came with a tankless heater & I need to change it to a smallest available tank but there are other things I'm trying to get it fixed before embarking on this journey.....I somehow have to do it before this fall. Thanks & have a nice day
Old 2017-04-19, 02:38 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by immysiddy View Post
Have a look at Mattamy's latest Schedule 'Z'. Do you think they've worded it such that a new home buyer could follow OP's advice to not be bound by a legal contract with the 3rd party company?
They do not have the right to force you into a 3rd party contract and you certainly have the right not to sign it. If you don't sign it, what would be the implication? Would they withhold the home from you? Doubt it. That would be illegal. That schedule is definitely holding the buyer accountable to rental costs.