Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2017-06-19, 12:35 PM
Regular User

Default Lemay Homes - Findlay by the Park

Hi,

My wife and I have been looking at builders for a while now and we're interested in the Findlay Creek area which is not far from from our current house. We've also been in contact with Tartan and Tamarack.

Lemay is the one that stood out for us and I know a couple of people who built homes with them in this project. I noticed that no one is talking about Lemay so I wanted to start a 'Lemay' thread. My friends shared their experiences with me so now I would like other Lemay home owners to kindly share their experience with me and any tips would be greatly appreciated.

We have not signed anything at this point, we're negotiating to see what is the best fit for our family.

Thank you for reading.

Best,
Martin
Old 2017-06-19, 12:52 PM
Regular User

We built with them and thought they were fantastic!

Namely, the after sales service was second to none. They would address issues very quickly and thoroughly. We even had a major problem arise after the Tarion warranty period and they dealt with it no questions asked.

They are quite flexible in terms of modifications/upgrades, but you have to know exactly what you want. They don't have a "upgrade center", flex options or a catalogue to pick from with set prices, so your wife's pinterest board will come in handy. In my experience, we just sent them pictures of what we wanted the end product to look like, they would price it out and we just sign it if we agreed. You also get to work directly with their sub-contractors when making decisions for Cabinets, Flooring and Electrical, which I thought was great.
Old 2017-06-19, 02:59 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin_RRR View Post
Hi,

My wife and I have been looking at builders for a while now and we're interested in the Findlay Creek area which is not far from from our current house. We've also been in contact with Tartan and Tamarack.

Thank you for reading.

Best,
Martin
Check here also (old thread): http://www.buildinghomes.ca/communit...ad.php?t=21288
Old 2017-06-19, 03:44 PM
Regular User

Yes, I read this post already thanks. This is how I discovered this website.
Old 2017-06-19, 03:48 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kebbs View Post
We built with them and thought they were fantastic!

Namely, the after sales service was second to none. They would address issues very quickly and thoroughly. We even had a major problem arise after the Tarion warranty period and they dealt with it no questions asked.

They are quite flexible in terms of modifications/upgrades, but you have to know exactly what you want. They don't have a "upgrade center", flex options or a catalogue to pick from with set prices, so your wife's pinterest board will come in handy. In my experience, we just sent them pictures of what we wanted the end product to look like, they would price it out and we just sign it if we agreed. You also get to work directly with their sub-contractors when making decisions for Cabinets, Flooring and Electrical, which I thought was great.

This is exactly what I've heard from people who recently purchased. One of my co-workers used to work in construction for them back in the day and confirmed this. I'm guessing there are not many threads about Lemay because they are a smaller builder.

Cheers,
Martin
Old 2017-06-19, 11:42 PM
Regular User

We are building with them currently (closing in a few months). The experience has been great so far. We were quite hesitated at first since we never worked with a small builder before. However, after talking with a few existing owners in the Sundance area, we decided to take a dive and everything is working out pretty good so far.

As Kebbs mentioned, you will find that working with a small builder is quite different from the others. You will go to a number of appointments with different vendors in different places. That is great in terms of customization, but be prepared to be overwhelmed with options, especially at Deslaurier Custom Cabinets. We must have been there ten times or so before we can finalize our selections. Le May's upgrade prices are very reasonable as well. They can pretty put in whatever you want with an additional fee.

For our case, we did a few architecture changes such as removing a weight supporting column in the great room and replace that with a wider ceiling beam, or adding two windows that normally only present in a corner lot.

The sale person is very nice. Pretty much all communication with the builder goes through him. I have met the foreman on the framewalk as well. He's been with Le May for a long time. He said Le May tends to keep good people around. He also said at any point, they only allow one group of contractors inside the house; that is how they maintain the quality.
Old 2017-06-20, 12:15 PM
Regular User

Thanks for sharing your experience and congrats on the new house.

We have a lot in mind and already decided on a single-home model. We asked Lemay for a few modifications as well and they emailed us a blueprint of the changes which was nice. My friend who purchased a single-home on Fernside recently told us that the choices were overwhelming and it's easy to go off budget getting upgrades instead of the standard choices.

Nice to hear about the window upgrades. We've asked them for a quote to extend the width of the garage to easily fit 2 vehicles and a few other things and the prices have been reasonable. All builders call it a double garage but it isn't really.

Cheers,
Martin