Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2017-08-18, 04:33 PM
Regular User

WOW that's ridiculous! Try to see what Tarion can do!
Old 2017-08-18, 04:39 PM
Regular User

I just watched the video and I am totally shocked! How can they get away with things like this! As the lady said, no one should have to go through this when buying a new house - when buying a house period.
Old 2017-08-21, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homeshoppin View Post
We have a Valleyfield and we can fit two cars (Mazda 3 and a Mazda Cx7 CUV) in it but we really just put the one car in since we have junk on the other side.
I should have waited for the fallowfield lol. Lesson learned though!
Selling it as a double car garage and then later on , changing it to single + storage has to be the craziest thing i've seen so far.
Old 2017-08-21, 04:06 PM

wow...this is crazy
Old 2017-08-22, 10:12 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by chelsea4ever View Post
I should have waited for the fallowfield lol. Lesson learned though!
Selling it as a double car garage and then later on , changing it to single + storage has to be the craziest thing i've seen so far.
Did they really sell it as a double car? The Valleyfield was the original model and was always a two car garage. I noticed when they started selling it in Kanata off of Hope Side that it was smaller in the square footage. I think I recall thinking the garage was teeny tiny but I don't remember if it said storage or not. This was a few years ago.

When we bought I made a 3D model of the main floor in Google Sketch Up and then took the measurements of our cars (from the manufacturer) and then checked to see if they fit. Seems like a lot of work but I was really paranoid. LOL.
Mattamy | Half Moon Bay South | Valleyfield A
Closed: July 22, 2014 and loving it!

Old 2017-08-22, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homeshoppin View Post
Did they really sell it as a double car? The Valleyfield was the original model and was always a two car garage. I noticed when they started selling it in Kanata off of Hope Side that it was smaller in the square footage. I think I recall thinking the garage was teeny tiny but I don't remember if it said storage or not. This was a few years ago.

When we bought I made a 3D model of the main floor in Google Sketch Up and then took the measurements of our cars (from the manufacturer) and then checked to see if they fit. Seems like a lot of work but I was really paranoid. LOL.
Yes, they always had it as double car garage until recently(few weeks ago).
Honestly, its better to be paranoid and spend more time than regretting it afterwards. U did the right thing lol
Old 2017-08-22, 11:10 AM
Regular User

Unfortunately you can't even go by measurements as they have clauses that say that actual usable space may not be the same or that measurements inside may not be exact, etc. However, in your contract you should have a layout of the home and if it shows it as a garage it should be usable as such.
Old 2017-08-31, 11:40 AM
Regular User

Been following this Mattamy thread and shocked. Their way to fix this is to update the floor plans on their site to call what was previously a garage a storage space? lol? Its true that a buyer could lay out the dimensions, go see similar spaces etc but I think its fair to go by what you're presented at the sales office and when signing the agreement. While the garage may not fit every vehicle, it should be big enough for most. Messed.