Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2019-08-15, 01:53 AM
Regular User

Default Solar Shades - 1%, 3%, 5% or combo?

Hi all,

I'm thinking about purchasing solar shades for my home. Do any of you have a recommended installer/provider? The HN sales coordinator provided me with a business card for their supplier but I am looking/hoping to shop around for the best price.

Also, I am thinking about doing the main floor in 3% and then the bedrooms/bathrooms in 1% for added privacy and increased sun blockage throughout the day to aid in afternoon naps/sleeping in.

What are your thoughts and experiences? Thanks in advance!
Old 2019-08-15, 11:56 AM

If you can hold off, the Home Show is last weekend of September. There will probably be a couple of vendors there and some deals to be had.
Old 2019-08-15, 09:22 PM
Regular User

We had one really hot room with a lot of solar gain. We looked at various solutions and went with these guys:

https://www.krumperssolarsolutions.ca/

Not cheap but they were good to deal with and the solution is effective.
Old 2019-08-18, 01:19 PM
Regular User

You might want to also consider a DIY window film. I installed it on every window in our house. It gives us the heat and UV blockage but also allowed us the freedom to pick whatever blinds and/or curtains we wanted.

I use the Gila brand from Home Depot. I have used the 3-in-1 (sold in-store) and the Light (sold online).
Old 2019-08-19, 01:33 PM
Regular User

I think the film works ok if you are blocking some sun, but it didn't work well in our situation. I put film on the windows and while it make it less bright, it didn't seem to change the amount of heat coming in. A professional application might have been better, but in the end the shades worked best. You can see through them and you can flip them in the winter. We don't as even in the winter, the heat is too much from that window.
Old 2019-08-19, 01:44 PM
Regular User

We had film solution for our old house. Didn't like the blue tint that comes into your house. Also, the reflection works so that during the day, people can't see in, but at night, you can't see out so that was annoying.

We opted for dual shades with a new home. We got an amazing price from Kirk at 4M Interiors and he seems to be highly talked about in my neighbourhood as well as many of my other friends. I'd give him a call for a quote.
Old 2019-10-02, 11:57 AM
Regular User

Dont expect nighttime privacy with anything you can see through during the day.
Old 2019-10-06, 02:36 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cl_utch View Post
Hi all,

I'm thinking about purchasing solar shades for my home. Do any of you have a recommended installer/provider? The HN sales coordinator provided me with a business card for their supplier but I am looking/hoping to shop around for the best price.

Also, I am thinking about doing the main floor in 3% and then the bedrooms/bathrooms in 1% for added privacy and increased sun blockage throughout the day to aid in afternoon naps/sleeping in.

What are your thoughts and experiences? Thanks in advance!
Iím just as lost as you on this one! May I ask which supplier HN Homes uses? I like their blinds in the Mayfair model ... well, actually I love everything about the Mayfair model!!
Old 2019-10-12, 08:46 AM
Regular User

I believe the company that HN uses is CoverUps. My brother just recently outfitted his HN home with rollerblinds and went with full privacy from the company recommended on this thread -- 4M Interiors.

4M turned out to be similarly priced but came with blackout roller shades for the 3 bedrooms upstairs included in the price.. which saved them some money as they had intended to buy blackout curtains intentionally when they were priced by CoverUps.

Hope this helps!