Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2007-08-06, 09:48 AM
Regular User

Default Somebody's "standard" is somebody else's "upgrade"

Did you pay for the bathroom rough in in the basement?
As time goes and I talk with other people I realize more how builder'sare different about what is standard and what is not. With Cardel homes rough in for bathroom in the basement is an upgrade and we paid more than 700 for that. Now I hear that others get this as standard. The same is true with having a sink in the laundry room/ It was a a pricy upgrade for us (we skipped that) but I see that some other builders have it as standard.
Old 2007-08-06, 10:11 AM
Regular User

This is so true - that's why its so hard to compare builders and prices...

Our rough in was standard. Our laundry tub was also standard although it is in the basement to save room on the upper level...
Old 2007-08-06, 01:10 PM
Regular User

When something is included "standard", it just means that you're paying for it whether you like it or not...of course the price of each item is built into the price of the home.
Choosing a builder that does not include as many standards means that you're able to purchase the options you want and aren't forced to pay for things that you aren't interested in. It just takes a bit more legwork to get the price lists and then make comparisons. Choosing a builder with more inclusions means that you probably won't have to look into as many upgrades but you should accept the fact that there are probably some things you're paying for that you wouldn't have, given the option.

Mark
Old 2007-08-06, 02:08 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by plg_cp View Post
When something is included "standard", it just means that you're paying for it whether you like it or not...of course the price of each item is built into the price of the home.
Quote:
Originally Posted by plg_cp View Post
Choosing a builder that does not include as many standards means that you're able to purchase the options you want and aren't forced to pay for things that you aren't interested in. It just takes a bit more legwork to get the price lists and then make comparisons. Choosing a builder with more inclusions means that you probably won't have to look into as many upgrades but you should accept the fact that there are probably some things you're paying for that you wouldn't have, given the option.

Mark

Hi Mark,

What you are saying is so true. As I said we skipped the laundry tub because we did not need it. If it was standard, we had to pay the price anyway in the total. But there are things that make sense to have (like the bathroom rough in in the basement) and you find out, with surprise, that most builders offer it as standard but not yours. Here is my 2 cents on why they do that:
The builder probably knows that most people need a certain feature but they don't offer it as standard and you don't know that until when you sign the purchase order or later. Why you chose builder A and not B? Probably builder A offered you a lower price with the same major features (4 bdr, 3 bathrooms etc.) But the standard stuff was not the same as builder B and you didn't know. So the builder A gets your business and you end up upgrading more and pay the same price as if you had gone with the builder B. Just a theory based on what I have experienced so far.
Cheers,

Old 2007-08-06, 05:38 PM
Regular User

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince View Post
As I said we skipped the laundry tub because we did not need it. If it was standard, we had to pay the price anyway in the total.
I can't imagine not having a laundry tub Not sure where your laundry is located if on second floor or main, but ours is on main level & even to wash the car you want to fill it up with hot water...you can't really fit a big bucket in the kitchen sink Or you need to soak some clothes in bleach...where would you do that if you have no laundry tub?? Possibly in the bath tub, but that's not as convenient. We have 3 kids & in the winter, we would put all their wet winter buts in the tub...

I feel a laundry tub should be standard.....never even heard that some builders don't offer it as a standard feature

Also the rough-in in the basement...it's nice to have it done & ours was standard, but after we had installed our tankless system in the basement, we now have to switch the location of the shower, since our tankless is there now ... The builder just does the rough-in wherever it's convenient for them but it might not be convenient for you when you decide to finish your basement. Plus the price that some builders charge (I have seen some around $1,300)...for that price (+-) you can have someone do it after closing & you tell them exactly where you want it. So IMO not a big deal to do it afterwards.....just looks messy.
Old 2007-08-06, 06:22 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrob View Post
I can't imagine not having a laundry tub Not sure where your laundry is located if on second floor or main, but ours is on main level & even to wash the car you want to fill it up with hot water...you can't really fit a big bucket in the kitchen sink Or you need to soak some clothes in bleach...where would you do that if you have no laundry tub?? Possibly in the bath tub, but that's not as convenient. We have 3 kids & in the winter, we would put all their wet winter buts in the tub...

I feel a laundry tub should be standard.....never even heard that some builders don't offer it as a standard feature

Also the rough-in in the basement...it's nice to have it done & ours was standard, but after we had installed our tankless system in the basement, we now have to switch the location of the shower, since our tankless is there now ... The builder just does the rough-in wherever it's convenient for them but it might not be convenient for you when you decide to finish your basement. Plus the price that some builders charge (I have seen some around $1,300)...for that price (+-) you can have someone do it after closing & you tell them exactly where you want it. So IMO not a big deal to do it afterwards.....just looks messy.
Here you have one that was asked to pay for the laundry tub at the design center. I have to tell you that we were also shocked by hearing the price. We do not have small children any more and washing their muddy shoes shouldn't be an issue. Besides for washing the car I can hopefully use the faucet in the kitchen. Our laundry is also in the main floor. And I agree that its good to have the tub there but not for $800 extra.
Not having a rough in in the basement on the other hand can be an issue when you want to sell your house. We have our house for sale right now and a few people have asked about the rough in (that we don't have). Glad to hear that it is doable afterwards because I thought it is pricey and messy if you want to do that later. For the rough in location in our new home we actually decided ourselves where to put it so hopefully when it is time to use it it is in right spot.
Old 2007-08-06, 10:29 PM
Regular User

It definitely pays to read the included features list very carefully.

You'll find that the standards vary from builder to builder, though there are trends that may be regional. For example, here in Ottawa, no builder (to my knowledge) provides eavestrough, nor do they even offer it as an option. This is apparently completely unheard of in Toronto, where everyone offers it as a standard feature.

Some builders do seem to "cheap out" (I had to pay for each and every shut-off valve installed at my sinks) but think of it as an opportunity to customize your home exactly how you like it. The relatively low purchase price of my home was one reason, I suspect, why my list of included features seemed to be missing a few things.
Old 2007-08-06, 11:21 PM
Regular User

About the rough-in, we decided to go for it now. My parents did it later on and they said it was expensive and very difficult. My grandfather's a builder and he also said it's one of those things that's worth getting done right away. I have also heard that from a few other people who tried to do it after the fact.
Old 2007-08-07, 08:52 AM
Regular User

Ours was $350. If you ever want a bathroom in the basement you are wise to get it. Its a good selling feature as well since its basically a "standard" people look for in resale homes.
Old 2007-08-07, 08:53 AM
Regular User

We got the bathroom rough-in for the basement and 'deeper' windows for $1500...I'm not sure if that is too high but it's already too late because we went for it!