Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > York Region > Aurora

Aurora Minto, Kylemore, Aspen Ridge and Townwood

Old 2008-04-20, 12:31 AM

Default CountryWide at Bayview Meadows

First time home buyer and I have checked out CountryWide's homes

First thing first, about the builder. I have heard from a source that they are a child company of Con-Drain who also owns AspenRidge and they are supposed to be the upper-end new home building division. Wondering if anyone can verify this.

Second, since I'm a first time buyer, I have looked at the features they are offering and here is a list. Just wondering if there is anything I should watch out for or anything that's a really nice feature in particular.

 9’ Ceilings on main floor
 Granite Counter Tops in Kitchen
 Prefinished Natural Oak ¾” x 2 ¼” hardwood on main floor
 Taller Upper Cabinets (40"), Maple or Oak
 Imported ceramic tiles (12x12 or 13x13) in all tiled area
 4 ¼” baseboards throughout w/ 2 ¾” casings
 Vinyl casement windows throughout
 Natural finish Oak stairs w/ 1¾” pickets and 3" half round handrails
 Pre-engineered Floor System w/Plywood Subfloors
 Deep soaker bathtubs
 Master ensuite with glass shower door
 Gas fireplace with limestone look surround (as per plan)
 Cathedral and/or Vaulted ceilings (as per plan)
 Decora plugs and switches throughout
 Brushed Chrome finish front door grip-set
*SIDE & REAR ELEVATION IS BRICK

Thanks for all you replies.
Old 2008-04-20, 05:37 AM
Regular User

Default Nice features

I don't know about the builder so I can't comment on that, however, feature wise, they seem to be giving a lot more. We bought from Starlane and following are _not_ included in our feature list and we have to pay for them if we want them:

 Granite Counter Tops in Kitchen (you may end up paying for better quality and edging of the slab)
 Prefinished Natural Oak ¾” x 2 ¼” hardwood on main floor (you may have to pay for your choice of stain color) (we only got hardwood in living and dining)
 Taller Upper Cabinets (40"), Maple or Oak (maple, WOW)
 4 ¼” baseboards throughout w/ 2 ¾” casings (try and get them to paint it in while)
 Gas fireplace with limestone look surround (as per plan) (We get marble surround)
 Decora plugs and switches throughout (nice)
 Brushed Chrome finish front door grip-set

During our search for a home, we visited several builders in Aurora and noted that some builders are offering higher end upgrades while others have discounted price by 20k-30k. So, IMO, in the end it all comes down to Location, Location, Location
Old 2008-04-20, 07:04 PM
Regular User

I agreed with joejack that some builders are offering higher end upgrades while others have discount price. So they have similar prices if you adjust those upgrades items and compare them on apple to apple basis. I think you should pick the floorplan and lot which you like.

I bought from Starlane too. When I visited several builders in Aurora last year, I loved the model homes of Kylemore first. However, they are quite expensive and I want to have full depth lot rather than wide lot. Then I found the corner lot offered by Great Gulf which I loved 'cos it was facing stormwater management pond withour any premium. However, I did not like any floor plan of Great Gulf. I bought from Starlane at the end 'cos I found the floor plan which I like and I like to location.
Old 2008-05-12, 09:00 AM
Regular User

Default Get it in writting

If you are buying from Aspen Ridge, GET IT IN WRITTING. What the sales rep says means NOTHING. I speak from experience. If it isn't there in black and white, you won't get it. Pictures don't count either. They are very careful to give you the minimum amount described. You need to be just as careful.
Old 2008-05-13, 10:23 AM
Regular User

Jaybird, did you sign the agreement with Countrywide or did you find anything better?
Old 2008-05-19, 08:32 PM

Yes, I have signed the papers for a 30ft semi corner unit. Went to the sales office last weekend and was surprised to see the 30ft semis are almost gone, much faster than the neighboring greenpark or roaylcliff builders. Also took a look at the building site, I think the government is paving the street and they have the markers set for each lot, so you can go and look at your lot if you wish.

So any of you guys going to be my neighbors? =]
Old 2008-05-20, 11:06 AM
Regular User

We signed the contract as well, for the corner lot. When is your closing?
We spoke with Margaret, Countrywide Homes is part of Aspen Ridge big family, I hope there will be no major delays ...

We signed the contract on April 26 there were not too many lots avalable and now you are saying that they are almost sold out...may be it will allow them to start construction works faster

Last edited by Julianna; 2008-05-20 at 02:39 PM.
Old 2008-05-23, 09:57 AM

closing date is May 28, 2009. Did you guys get the top right corner lot?
We went last weekend to choose exterior color, I guess you'll do the same soon, have fun.
Old 2008-05-23, 12:45 PM
Regular User

Yes we picked up a right corner lot
They already invited you to choose the exterior?! Nobody called us or sent any letter....How does it work do you receive an invitation letter?

Last edited by Julianna; 2008-05-25 at 05:56 AM.
Old 2008-06-14, 03:53 PM
Regular User

Does you guys got any additional features from the builder other than what they have specified in the pricelist. Is there any place for any kind of negotitations from the builder for some more features. i am lloking around there. i appreciate your input

Thanks,