Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > General > Home Owner Tips, Upgrades and Maintenance

Home Owner Tips, Upgrades and Maintenance General information on what to do with your new home. Garden, yard, driveway, basement finishing, and everything in between.

Old 2009-03-16, 02:17 PM
Regular User

Default UPGRADES with Builder???

Hello,

Just wanted to gain some feedback concerning Hardwood floors, granite countertops, and cabinets.

We just signed this past weekend with Tribute Communities in Ajax. We have yet to go to the Decor Centre and view our options. We gathered from friends that it is better to go with the builder with the upgrades because of the warranty. However, it still depends on the prices/costs in comparison with external outlets. We were also told that Tribute is pretty strict and do not give any kind of deals in terms of upgrades.

Any tips and recommendations???

Thank you!
Old 2009-03-17, 07:03 PM
Regular User

Cabinets, especially from the builder are always a good bet. They are usually a decent upgrade price from the builder and usually worth it. Things like granite counters and such are way over priced from builders from what I have seen. Same with hardwood. You can usually have the whole house done for the price a builder charges you to do the main floor. Plus I would let the house settle for a year before putting hardwood down just so and shrinkage as the floor drys will not affect your new hardwood.

Old 2009-03-18, 05:41 AM
Regular User

Hi Galloway,

certain things like 9 foot ceilings, basement windows etc are structural changes. meaning they cannot be modified later. I would go with the builder for such things. Everything else can be done by private contractors. It will save you quite a bit.

nightsky.
Old 2009-03-19, 09:18 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoostedRio View Post
Cabinets, especially from the builder are always a good bet. They are usually a decent upgrade price from the builder and usually worth it. Things like granite counters and such are way over priced from builders from what I have seen. Same with hardwood. You can usually have the whole house done for the price a builder charges you to do the main floor. Plus I would let the house settle for a year before putting hardwood down just so and shrinkage as the floor drys will not affect your new hardwood.
Thank you for the feedback BoostedRio! I think we will definitely go with the builder with our cabinets. We shall see the prices for the other upgrades...hopefully soon!

I hope your wedding plans are coming together and well organized. Congratulations! I sure enjoyed every single moment of my wedding last year. Don't forget to take a breath and take it all in during the ceremony!
Old 2009-03-19, 09:27 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightsky View Post
Hi Galloway,

certain things like 9 foot ceilings, basement windows etc are structural changes. meaning they cannot be modified later. I would go with the builder for such things. Everything else can be done by private contractors. It will save you quite a bit.

nightsky.
Thanks Nightsky!

I had a chat with my husband concerning the 9' ft ceiling...we are definitely considering it. We called the sales office and we were quoted $7900 for the second floor, and $12,500 for the main floor. Since the main floor is already standard with 9' ft ceiling, we might as well save our money for other upgrades.

We also got a chance to canvas during the Home Show, so we will be comparing various vendors with the builder prices. I really do hope there is not much difference, coz I would prefer getting everything done before we move in. Although BoostedRio got a point, letting the house settle for a year sounds smart before we get our hardwood done...we'll see!
Old 2009-04-08, 08:47 AM

Default Hardwood

There's a great Ajax company called ATEX for hardwood. Speak with Mike. He quoted us $5K for hardwood in the Imagination Great Room and Dining room for a prestige hardwood.

Granite - TorontoGranite.com is great! Prices are awesome. Technology up to date.
Old 2009-05-13, 02:02 PM
Regular User

Default Hardwood

Hey thanks for the contact! We'll need them.
Old 2009-05-13, 02:32 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justcan'twait View Post
There's a great Ajax company called ATEX for hardwood. Speak with Mike. He quoted us $5K for hardwood in the Imagination Great Room and Dining room for a prestige hardwood.

Granite - TorontoGranite.com is great! Prices are awesome. Technology up to date.
I've seen these guys mentioned before, but looking at their site they offer only 3/4" thickness in their "materials" section. do they offer thicker stone?

Old 2009-05-13, 05:53 PM
Regular User

Even though most upgrades can be done cheaper after the closing, i have been thinking about something. Say i decided to spend $30,000 in upgrades "ADDED on to the mortgage" so i can pay it spread out over 25 year mortgage. Now say i plan to move again in say 5-10 years, that would mean that i never really paid the full{or half} of $30,000 in upgrades.

"If and only if you don't plan on staying long term in the house, would it be wise to add on the total{some builders allow it} , rather than paying "upfront" to outside contractors.

I plan and hope that i will live in my new house for the next 20 years atleast. To set the record straight, i will be doing stuff like floors after closing....MUCH cheper than the builders prices.
Old 2009-06-07, 11:48 PM
Regular User

Default Tankless Hot Water Heaters

Hi all,

Anyone done any research on tankless hot water heaters? We signed up for one in our upgrades, but are rethinking our decision. After seeing mostly bad reviews (which claim were due to installation) we're not quite sure what to do?

The builder claims you NEVER run out of hot water BUT the water pressure is less and we need our water pressure.

They also claim it's energy efficient because you don't require all this energy to keep the hot water tank filled and heated BUT when you open the tap, it takes 30 or more seconds to heat up and everytime you turn the tap off you have to start the same process of heating again.

Another thing is it's the size of a backpack on your wall, rather than the large adult size tubular contraption we all have now.

Any thoughts or comments on those types of heaters?

Thanks!