Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > General > Home Technology and Electronics

Home Technology and Electronics To discuss the technology that is going into your home from planning, wiring, hardware and usage.

Old 2016-12-07, 07:29 PM
Regular User

Default How to share Internet between apartments on different floors in a building?

Hello, Family Member A lives on the 5th floor and has the following set up

- Teksavvy DSL 15Mbps Internet
- TP-LINK AC1750 router

Family Member B lives on the 4th floor (not directly underneath Family Member A but not too far off) and would like to piggyback Internet from Family Member A. This is what I have done to help them out but it seems I have run into a wall (pun intended)

1. While inside Family Member B's apartment on the 4th floor, I was able to pick up Family Member A's SSID. I checked the speed and it was about 0.3 Mbps for download and pretty much nothing for upload. Too slow to do anything like VoIP.ms or streaming

2. I borrowed a NetGear extender from a buddy and placed it close to the primary access point (TP-LINK AC1750) with the intention of extending the wireless signal. I did not see/pick up the SSID_extender downstairs so the extender was a moot point.

3. I bought a cheap Asus router as a test (Asus RT-n66U), put it in repeater mode and placed in Family Member B's apartment. It saw the primary access point but was not able to maintain any connection.

Do you think Google Wifi/Orbi/eero Wifi System works better for this scenario or should I upgrade the primary access point to something stronger?

Running an Ethernet cable out the window from the 5th floor then along the wall and back into the apartment on the 4th floor is not really an option as the apartments are not on the same side.

Thanks in advance!
Old 2016-12-07, 08:09 PM
Administrator

It would probably be cheaper, less headaches and more reliable over all to just get cheap internet at the place that does not have it.
For Your Home - For Your Condo - For Your Office

http://www.phand.ca/
Old 2016-12-07, 10:23 PM
Regular User

I have no idea how it would work in an apartment building, but what about the DSL over Powerline extender?
Old 2016-12-08, 10:50 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve13gt View Post
I have no idea how it would work in an apartment building, but what about the DSL over Powerline extender?
You have a 1 in 3 chance of being on the same phase as your neighbour providing the transformer doesn't screw it up.
For Your Home - For Your Condo - For Your Office

http://www.phand.ca/
Old 2016-12-08, 01:19 PM
Regular User

Can you see many other wifi signals or just a couple? If you see a lot try moving the extender or repeater around. Sometimes further away but away from cement pillars or electrical conduits is better. If you don't see many others it may be that there is just too much cement / stuff blocking signals.
Old 2016-12-08, 01:25 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregS View Post
You have a 1 in 3 chance of being on the same phase as your neighbour providing the transformer doesn't screw it up.
I used to have one of those and don't remember having any type of password protection. Couldn't anyone on the same phase just plug one in (by chance) and use your internet?
Old 2016-12-09, 10:23 AM
Regular User

Are you able to swap out the antennas on your router for a better performing one?
Old 2016-12-09, 02:07 PM
Regular User

''Cheap internet" Iisn't that an oxymoron
Old 2016-12-09, 03:11 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by canabiz View Post
2. I borrowed a NetGear extender from a buddy and placed it close to the primary access point (TP-LINK AC1750) with the intention of extending the wireless signal. I did not see/pick up the SSID_extender downstairs so the extender was a moot poInt.
Why would you place it near the primary and not at a wall nearest to the other apartment? Or try putting it in the other appartment near the wall closest to the primary (it may be able to pick up the signal better then a cell phone if that's what you used). Or one extender in each appartment at the walls closest to each other. Or, if you know someone well in an appartment between the two you can ask if they can plug it in in their appartment.

Some extenders are better than others. But going through concrete you will have a hard time getting a strong signal.
Old 2016-12-10, 09:41 AM
Regular User

Thanks for the feedback, guys! I got some work to do over the holiday as folks on other forums also propose some interesting ideas (directional antennas etc) so I'll put more thoughts into this, trial and error, it's all about the experimentation, I can't imagine this is the first time people try to share Internet in a building, I believe there is a solution, just have to find the right one...just trying to help a low-income senior get online that's all.

Thanks again.