Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > General > Home Owner Tips, Upgrades and Maintenance

Home Owner Tips, Upgrades and Maintenance General information on what to do with your new home. Garden, yard, driveway, basement finishing, and everything in between.

Old 2014-03-28, 03:41 PM
Regular User

Default Best ways to clean a glass shower door

Looking for best practices/recommendations for cleaning and/or keeping a glass shower door clean.

We used to have a frosted glass door that would hide many of the water stains/streaks, but with a clear glass door now, it is so difficult to keep to clean and looking like new.

I've tried Magic Eraser which works okay but still seems to leave a film on the door.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Old 2014-03-28, 04:20 PM
Regular User

i squeegee after every shower - takes a few seconds but it works well. other than that regular windex or sometimes automotive glass cleaner to remove water spots.
Old 2014-03-28, 04:50 PM
Regular User

i used to use the squeegee, but then I got to lazy. I now just clean it with CLR (the yellow bottle) for bathrooms. if you look closely after you clean it, there are still hard water stains, but it still looks good and clean. I'd like to know how to get rid of those hard water stains though.
Old 2014-03-28, 06:06 PM
Regular User

Microfibre cloth and scrubbing bubbles shower cleaner. Costco does a large pack of yellow microfibres that are great for housework. Just throw them in the washer. No water spots and any soap residue comes off easily.

Old 2014-03-28, 07:41 PM
Regular User

We have a glass shower in the ensuite and I just spray Scrub Free on it. Apply some scrubbing to the soap scum, then rinse and squeegee clean. Seems to work very well.
Old 2014-03-28, 11:28 PM
Regular User

You have to squeegee after every shower and clean often before you get too much build up. The first glass shower I had, I was on City water which was very hard. Got lots of build up. Been on well water for a couple years now with a softener and the softener is the key. Didn't think it would make that much of a difference but It's night and day. Squeegee after every shower and clean the shower when it needs but never have any large build up like when I dindn't have a softener.
Old 2014-03-29, 11:47 AM
Regular User

to London2Ottawa and Mark & Linda, after you do your cleaning, if you look very closely to the glass, you don't still see water spots? if not, i'll try your methods. thanks. another thing someone told me long long time ago when I was looking for the house was to apply a thin film of cooking oil to the glass when its clean. that way it will be very easy to clean afterwards. at the time I thought he was crazy, but I think it makes sense. I'm going to try that one day on a small spot in the corner and see how it works.
Old 2014-03-29, 12:36 PM
Regular User

No water spots but then I clean it reasonably regularly so not sure how good it would be at removing built up problems. You could also try vinegar. That's a great household cleaner especially on things like limescale. Just be sure to rinse after. An old flannel/facecloth should work just as well as a microfibre for this as it causes agitation.

Old 2014-03-29, 12:50 PM
Regular User

We have 3 baths upstairs but we only use one and that's the one with the tub the other two with the stand in shower is barely used. So no need to clean the glass.

Maybe someone could install wipers on their shower doors, the wipers activate once you step out of the shower, the would be soo epic
Old 2014-03-29, 01:15 PM
Regular User

I use paper towel. it doesn't seem to scratch the glass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by London2Ottawa View Post
No water spots but then I clean it reasonably regularly so not sure how good it would be at removing built up problems. You could also try vinegar. That's a great household cleaner especially on things like limescale. Just be sure to rinse after. An old flannel/facecloth should work just as well as a microfibre for this as it causes agitation.