Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Durham Region > Durham - General

Durham - General For residents of and soon-to-be residents of Ajax, Oshawa, Pickering, Uxbridge, and Scugog

Old 2014-04-01, 11:27 AM
Regular User

Default Tranquility Serene progress thread

Hi everyone! We recently purchased a home in the Tranquility development in Ajax!! After going to look at some model homes "for fun" one week-end, my husband and I fell in love with this community! We couldn't stop thinking about it, and finally took the plunge late Jan, 2014.

I haven't seen too much on this forum about the Tranquility development, so I wanted to post some of our experiences, as well as keep everyone updated on the progress of the build! Sooo exciting!

Our home is a 2773 sq ft, 4 bedroom home. We opted not to go for the finished lower level or the loft.

Here is the floor- plan:

Progress thread: http://www.buildinghomes.ca/communit...ad.php?t=22246
Old 2014-04-01, 11:42 AM
Regular User

For structural upgrades:

Smooth ceiling on the main floor (they wouldn't do it on the second floor)
Deleted bulk heads and column in foyer to leave only a 1/2 wall
Swapped the sliding doors in the kitchen to double garden doors with transom
Removed the wall behind the staircase to open it up and bring more light into the dining room
Deleted bulk heads, nibs and any non-structural walls at the bottom of the stairs and kitchen
Reduced the pantry wall to align with wall on opposite side
Re-located 3-piece washroom rough-in in basement
Added rough-in for tub in basement
Reduced wall between the soaker tub and the shower to add more light
Added a marble capped shower seat in lieu of void space at the back of shower to create more space
Removed basin tub and added a tiled marble floor
Added frameless glass shower door
Added skylight above stairs to add more light to the tech centre, staircase and dining area
Added 200 Amp service
Added cathedral window to master bedroom
Removed hallway between HIS and HERS closet to create one giant closet with arch in between
Moved heat runs infront of bay windows for future window seats

Please message me if you're interested in any of the pricing.

We had got pricing for increasing floor heights by a foot for basement, main level and second floor, increasing the height of the basement windows, adding a plywood sub-floor, adding a side-door separate entrance, Deepening our pantry to a custom depth of 18" instead of 12", and adding a stand-alone soaker tub in the master bath instead of the built-in one. In the end, we decided against doing all of these.

Old 2014-04-01, 11:48 AM
Regular User

This was the original builders floor plan before the structural changes:

So you can see how closed-up and bulk-heady the area below the stairs was before. And how small the shower was with the dead space behind there. We couldn't even wash our hair without our elbows hitting the door. And the dining room area and tech centre area was so dark with only small windows facing the house next door.

A main reason that we selected this model was that all of the bedroom windows faced outwards. Light is extremely important to me, and I didn't want my office or kids room to face a brick wall with no natural light.

Old 2014-04-01, 12:05 PM
Regular User

This is the lot:

It's 40x 99 and backs onto some green space. It's not as forested as other areas of the community, but my husband was concerned with mosquitos in the summer, noises from the train on the north side of the community (the first lot we'd chosen was less then 200m away from the tracks), and we wanted to be able to walk out from the kitchen to the backyard without having a raised deck with a bunch of stairs to go down. So we figured that a private backyard was enough, and we can always go on walks through the forest. Plus, it's close to the goodlife. :P

Old 2014-04-01, 12:05 PM
Regular User

nice house. is there still time to make changes? I would move that fireplace to the corner if possible or to another room. that's where the all important TV goes! I moved mine to the dining room. we never use it. even if we kept it in the family room, we'd never use it. the flame on it is so small its rediculous.
Old 2014-04-01, 01:05 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by homie27 View Post
nice house. is there still time to make changes? I would move that fireplace to the corner if possible or to another room. that's where the all important TV goes! I moved mine to the dining room. we never use it. even if we kept it in the family room, we'd never use it. the flame on it is so small its rediculous.
Thanks!

Ya, I agree that the fireplace is totally in the tv spot. I'm ok with it, as we don't watch much tv and I'm happy to be able to decorate the mantle and have it a focal point of the space. We've decided to put the tv on a stand instead, since my husband doesn't like it really high up on the wall.

Old 2014-04-01, 02:11 PM
Regular User

Floor plan looks great, suprised the builder let you make that much changes, usually they don't, and just a suggestion but how about adding a window on each side of the fireplace.
Old 2014-04-01, 02:18 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selvi View Post
Floor plan looks great, suprised the builder let you make that much changes, usually they don't, and just a suggestion but how about adding a window on each side of the fireplace.
Ya, I've been a major thorn in their side for sure. Asking a million and a half questions, getting a ton of different quotes, attempting to personalize everything. The decor centre lady also hates me no doubt.:P

Most of the changes they were reluctant to do. We were first told that we could not remove the shower floor basin, or extend the pantry.

I've asked about adding windows and they said no. Also, those windows beside the fireplace would face another house, so not even sure it would be worth it? I was going to do some sort of built-in bookcases on either side of the fireplace, and add stone going up (eventually?).

Old 2014-04-01, 02:24 PM
Regular User

Decor stuff:

We plan to do the following:

This is the tile we selected for the foyer and powder room. It's a light grey (upgraded) tile that looks a lot like natural stone. The texture is a bit more rough, and it has veins and stuff in it.

Here it is in a model home bathroom, to give you a better idea of what it looks like in a space (although this one is the larger size of tile... we can only afford the 13x13 size).

This is the actual foyer of the model home. We've removed the bulk heads and changed the wall to a half wall at the front door. So the tiles would be in this space. I wanted to lighten up the space a little bit, as I found the model home a bit too dark with the dark hardwood floors and dark tile.

Last edited by cmcintos; 2014-04-01 at 02:28 PM.
Old 2014-04-01, 02:35 PM
Regular User

The kitchen:

This is the kitchen in the model home:

We liked the colours, except for the floors. I like dark floors but I really don't like tile. I know I know, hardwood in the kitchen can be a real pain in the butt, but I don't care. I want it, I love it, and I'm prepared to take it and all it's flaws.

So this is sort of the idea we are going for (this was a model home in Caledon):

LOVED the white MDF cabinets with the dark backslash, dark hardwood floors, grey walls and splashes of colour in the decor elements. Hopefully our kitchen will get this much light. The back of the house will face west so fingers crossed

These are the selections we made at the design centre:

Other things we are doing in the kitchen:

Upper fridge cabinet
Added pots and pans drawers
Fridge gable
Cut-out for slide-in stove
Microwave shelf with drawer
Remove uppers to make space for a hood fan
Change sliding doors in breakfast area to garden doors
Add gas line for stove and BBQ
Add water line for fridge
Add cabinet hardware
Add clear cabinet doors to flank hood fan

Last edited by cmcintos; 2014-04-01 at 02:40 PM.