Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > General > Home Owner Tips, Upgrades and Maintenance

Home Owner Tips, Upgrades and Maintenance General information on what to do with your new home. Garden, yard, driveway, basement finishing, and everything in between.

Old 2014-04-22, 02:06 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivet View Post
Thanks, the problem for my situation is that if I upgrade later, I would have to throw the current 3/4'' granite counter top away, and I am not sure if it is cheaper to do afterwards.
That's different if you are getting it standard, rarely if ever Mattamy offers free granite lol It's really a personal preference which one you like better, I think standard will still be fine if you want to save some $.
Old 2014-04-22, 02:14 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by WellThatsLovely View Post
Our last two builders didn't give a credit if you didn't take it.
Also after my last reno, I'm hoping to see as little contractors in my home as possible for the rest of my life lol
I'd rather just pay extra to have everything done and not miss work to have to babysit them... it actually costs me less.
If you hire the right contractors, no need to babysit them Of course it's convenient to have everything done by the builder & you just have to pay for it but some people prefer to have control over the workmanship than to leave everything up to the builder's "quality", we know how that works sometimes
Old 2014-04-22, 02:24 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Thanks very much. I guess my other problem is I don't know how Mattamy is going to install the thin granite (with thicker edge or not, most likely not) and I never saw a house with thin granite before.

I checked my contract again. Mattamy also warned that if we install slide-in-Range, we should upgrade to level 1 thicker granite for height adjustment.
We have a slide in range as well...but 2cm granite

progress thread
http://www.buildinghomes.ca/communit...ad.php?t=21560
Old 2014-04-22, 02:46 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrob View Post
If you hire the right contractors, no need to babysit them Of course it's convenient to have everything done by the builder & you just have to pay for it but some people prefer to have control over the workmanship than to leave everything up to the builder's "quality", we know how that works sometimes
How many times have I heard THAT before?
We've tried both ways, with custom built homes from a builder, cookie-cutter builder homes and reno-ing our own... I have contractors coming out my #%$& and still haven't found the "right" one lol... I know they're out there, but I don't have enough kitchens left in my lifetime to finally find that person. It has LITERALLY been easier to learn how to build our own kitchen lol
I'm not even sure where the problem lies in finding a good contractor because clearly I'm willing to pay so it isn't like we're just hiring the cheapest one out there and surprised every time that they suck... and my expectations aren't THAT high that I'm impossible to work for if I'm willing to settle for a builder kitchen... so wtf!? lol
Our last guy just had to build a bathroom before my son was born... we did the demo so he KNEW what it was going to entail and he had done work for us in the past.... Long story short, by the time he finished, and $20,000 later, my son was running around handing him tools.
Old 2014-04-23, 11:08 PM
Regular User

Thicker granite would be nice, but really buyers dont care much for it. Granite vs laminate countertops is what most buyers would be looking at...not the thickness. We had the same situation as you, granite was included but the cost to upgrade to a thicker granite was almost the same price as a brand new granite done privately. So we decided to just get standard and think it looks fine.

Old 2014-04-24, 08:50 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Thanks very much. I guess my other problem is I don't know how Mattamy is going to install the thin granite (with thicker edge or not, most likely not) and I never saw a house with thin granite before.

I checked my contract again. Mattamy also warned that if we install slide-in-Range, we should upgrade to level 1 thicker granite for height adjustment.
I can tell you from experience that slide-in ranges are adjustable in height up to about half a foot.
While out kitchen was in construction, I used anything from a cutting board to plywood for a countertop, the range adjusted fine. When we finally decided to assemble the kitchen ourselves, because my husband is taller, we played with the heights of the cabinets, appliances and countertops to make everything as high as possible (not that he even uses the kitchen lol but he wanted things high)... So don't worry about your stove not fitting if you don't pay the upgrade
Old 2014-04-24, 11:22 PM
Regular User

Thanks for the reply and picture, nice Kitchen! From this angle, the thickness is not quite noticeable though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmhassa2 View Post
Thicker granite would be nice, but really buyers dont care much for it. Granite vs laminate countertops is what most buyers would be looking at...not the thickness. We had the same situation as you, granite was included but the cost to upgrade to a thicker granite was almost the same price as a brand new granite done privately. So we decided to just get standard and think it looks fine.

Old 2014-04-25, 10:33 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by WellThatsLovely View Post
How many times have I heard THAT before?
We've tried both ways, with custom built homes from a builder, cookie-cutter builder homes and reno-ing our own... I have contractors coming out my #%$& and still haven't found the "right" one lol... I know they're out there, but I don't have enough kitchens left in my lifetime to finally find that person. It has LITERALLY been easier to learn how to build our own kitchen lol
I'm not even sure where the problem lies in finding a good contractor because clearly I'm willing to pay so it isn't like we're just hiring the cheapest one out there and surprised every time that they suck... and my expectations aren't THAT high that I'm impossible to work for if I'm willing to settle for a builder kitchen... so wtf!? lol
Our last guy just had to build a bathroom before my son was born... we did the demo so he KNEW what it was going to entail and he had done work for us in the past.... Long story short, by the time he finished, and $20,000 later, my son was running around handing him tools.
Wow you sure had bad luck I guess But good contractors for sure are out there
Old 2014-04-25, 12:12 PM
Regular User

Actually looking at mmhassa2 kitchen pic above, I actually like the thin granite, doesn't look to bulky, & looks simple, clean and fresh, my opinon tho