Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > General > Home Owner Tips, Upgrades and Maintenance

Home Owner Tips, Upgrades and Maintenance General information on what to do with your new home. Garden, yard, driveway, basement finishing, and everything in between.

Old 2014-04-26, 10:46 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuk123 View Post
I was travelling so wasn't able to check till now. Thank you for your kind words, I am sure I will find someone in due time. Yes I do think $5k is too much, but to each his own.
I also think they are charging too much but unfortunately it's one of those things that's a PITA to change after & many times just better get from the builder. I am all about saving $ & doing most of the upgrades after closing for less, this just isn't one of them unfortunately.
Old 2014-04-27, 07:44 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrob View Post
Seriously
Waz wrong with Kijiji
Old 2014-04-28, 08:22 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Hey all,

We bought a place and schedule to close in June. I am looking for a contractor to remove popcorn and smooth ceiling. I am hoping to get it done before moving in as I read it's a very messy job. Smooth ceiling already in bathrooms, kitchen, and family room. So I estimate this to be a ~1500 sq ft job.

Anyone know of a good contractor and approximate price? I just need someone to remove the popcorn, mud, plaster, and be ready for paint. I will paint it myself later.
Look on Kijiji for 'call your mudder'. Steve is an awesome guy! He did my entire upstairs for a very reasonable price. Keep in mind though that he doesn't paint afterwards, you'll be responsible for doing that.
Old 2014-04-28, 11:01 AM

Quote:
I also think they are charging too much but unfortunately it's one of those things that's a PITA to change after & many times just better get from the builder. I am all about saving $ & doing most of the upgrades after closing for less, this just isn't one of them unfortunately.
That's a fair point and appreciate the feedback. The upgrade isn't that high on our "must have" list hence we decided not to go with builder. Situation has changed such that we now have more time than planned before moving in, so figured it's something to look into in earnest.
Old 2014-04-28, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexzakher View Post
Look on Kijiji for 'call your mudder'. Steve is an awesome guy! He did my entire upstairs for a very reasonable price. Keep in mind though that he doesn't paint afterwards, you'll be responsible for doing that.
Good to hear, do you mind sharing pictures of his handy work? Also how much did he charge you? You can PM the details if you like.
Old 2014-05-22, 12:37 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Good to hear, do you mind sharing pictures of his handy work? Also how much did he charge you? You can PM the details if you like.
Curious to know if you did find someone & how much they quoted you? Maybe it can help someone else who decided not to go through the builder.
Old 2014-05-31, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Curious to know if you did find someone & how much they quoted you? Maybe it can help someone else who decided not to go through the builder.
We decided not to do it, not for the reasons listed above but simply because we couldn't fit into our schedule. We originally planned to move 3 weeks after closing, unfortunately situation has now forced us to move much earlier.

We did asked around and got quoted for ~$1000; however that was part of a larger quote which includes replacing kitchen countertop, pot lights, bathroom vanity, and bunch of other stuff. I never really asked how much it would have been for just the ceiling. The contractor did some work for a friend (including smooth ceiling) and his place turned out pretty well.
Old 2014-07-02, 03:55 PM
Regular User

Quote:
We decided not to do it, not for the reasons listed above but simply because we couldn't fit into our schedule. We originally planned to move 3 weeks after closing, unfortunately situation has now forced us to move much earlier.

We did asked around and got quoted for ~$1000; however that was part of a larger quote which includes replacing kitchen countertop, pot lights, bathroom vanity, and bunch of other stuff. I never really asked how much it would have been for just the ceiling. The contractor did some work for a friend (including smooth ceiling) and his place turned out pretty well.
If the builder quotes you less than $2000 per floor. I'd probably let the builder do the job.
The small savings is not worth the hassle after closing
Old 2014-07-05, 08:41 AM
Regular User

We just paid $4k to have our ceilings done in a 3300 sq ft house. Watching them do it, it is a tonne of work. If the dealer is charging $5k, it's a no brainer.