Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > General > Home Owner Tips, Upgrades and Maintenance

Home Owner Tips, Upgrades and Maintenance General information on what to do with your new home. Garden, yard, driveway, basement finishing, and everything in between.


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 2014-04-26, 10:46 PM
patrob patrob is offline
Senior Member
Regular User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Brampton
Posts: 2,926
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuk123 View Post
I was travelling so wasn't able to check till now. Thank you for your kind words, I am sure I will find someone in due time. Yes I do think $5k is too much, but to each his own.
I also think they are charging too much but unfortunately it's one of those things that's a PITA to change after & many times just better get from the builder. I am all about saving $ & doing most of the upgrades after closing for less, this just isn't one of them unfortunately.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 2014-04-27, 07:44 AM
Selvi's Avatar
Selvi Selvi is offline
Senior Member
Regular User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: S t o u f f v i l l e
Posts: 637
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrob View Post
Seriously
Waz wrong with Kijiji
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 2014-04-28, 08:22 AM
alexzakher alexzakher is offline
Senior Member
Regular User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Copper Hills South - Phase 2
Posts: 132
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuk123 View Post
Hey all,

We bought a place and schedule to close in June. I am looking for a contractor to remove popcorn and smooth ceiling. I am hoping to get it done before moving in as I read it's a very messy job. Smooth ceiling already in bathrooms, kitchen, and family room. So I estimate this to be a ~1500 sq ft job.

Anyone know of a good contractor and approximate price? I just need someone to remove the popcorn, mud, plaster, and be ready for paint. I will paint it myself later.
Look on Kijiji for 'call your mudder'. Steve is an awesome guy! He did my entire upstairs for a very reasonable price. Keep in mind though that he doesn't paint afterwards, you'll be responsible for doing that.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 2014-04-28, 11:01 AM
tuk123 tuk123 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 8
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrob View Post
I also think they are charging too much but unfortunately it's one of those things that's a PITA to change after & many times just better get from the builder. I am all about saving $ & doing most of the upgrades after closing for less, this just isn't one of them unfortunately.
That's a fair point and appreciate the feedback. The upgrade isn't that high on our "must have" list hence we decided not to go with builder. Situation has changed such that we now have more time than planned before moving in, so figured it's something to look into in earnest.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 2014-04-28, 11:03 AM
tuk123 tuk123 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 8
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexzakher View Post
Look on Kijiji for 'call your mudder'. Steve is an awesome guy! He did my entire upstairs for a very reasonable price. Keep in mind though that he doesn't paint afterwards, you'll be responsible for doing that.
Good to hear, do you mind sharing pictures of his handy work? Also how much did he charge you? You can PM the details if you like.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 2014-05-22, 12:37 AM
patrob patrob is offline
Senior Member
Regular User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Brampton
Posts: 2,926
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuk123 View Post
Good to hear, do you mind sharing pictures of his handy work? Also how much did he charge you? You can PM the details if you like.
Curious to know if you did find someone & how much they quoted you? Maybe it can help someone else who decided not to go through the builder.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 2014-05-31, 12:51 AM
tuk123 tuk123 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 8
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrob View Post
Curious to know if you did find someone & how much they quoted you? Maybe it can help someone else who decided not to go through the builder.
We decided not to do it, not for the reasons listed above but simply because we couldn't fit into our schedule. We originally planned to move 3 weeks after closing, unfortunately situation has now forced us to move much earlier.

We did asked around and got quoted for ~$1000; however that was part of a larger quote which includes replacing kitchen countertop, pot lights, bathroom vanity, and bunch of other stuff. I never really asked how much it would have been for just the ceiling. The contractor did some work for a friend (including smooth ceiling) and his place turned out pretty well.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 2014-07-02, 03:55 PM
s16 s16 is offline
Member
Regular User
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 60
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuk123 View Post
We decided not to do it, not for the reasons listed above but simply because we couldn't fit into our schedule. We originally planned to move 3 weeks after closing, unfortunately situation has now forced us to move much earlier.

We did asked around and got quoted for ~$1000; however that was part of a larger quote which includes replacing kitchen countertop, pot lights, bathroom vanity, and bunch of other stuff. I never really asked how much it would have been for just the ceiling. The contractor did some work for a friend (including smooth ceiling) and his place turned out pretty well.
If the builder quotes you less than $2000 per floor. I'd probably let the builder do the job.
The small savings is not worth the hassle after closing
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 2014-07-05, 08:41 AM
SW20 MR2 SW20 MR2 is offline
Senior Member
Regular User
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Markham, ON
Posts: 184
Default

We just paid $4k to have our ceilings done in a 3300 sq ft house. Watching them do it, it is a tonne of work. If the dealer is charging $5k, it's a no brainer.
__________________
http://jknewhome.blogspot.com/
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Contractors for removal of stucco ceiling and to put smooth ceiling FraserALotG61 Burlington 1 2012-01-11 08:43 PM
question surrounding smooth ceiling a16s Aurora 10 2011-09-28 01:35 PM
2/3 Smooth Ceiling rdx Markham / Thornhill / Vaughan 5 2009-07-07 10:18 AM
Orinoco - Smooth Ceiling? JTCF Burlington 7 2009-06-16 07:50 PM
Difference between Smooth ceiling and Sriple ceiling a16s Markham / Thornhill / Vaughan 12 2008-10-20 01:06 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:28 PM.



Copyright © PHAND Corporation
This document may not be used elsewhere without the expressed written consent of PHAND Corporation.
*** There is no association between this website and any builder. ***

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.