Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2014-04-07, 12:36 PM
Regular User

Default monarch evergreen vs tamarack bradbury

We're really torn between the two houses. Square footage is very similar. There are so many good things for both models, we're now using cons to hopefully find the winner:
1) evergreen:
- straight and steep staircase
- relatively narrower foyer
- relatively narrower garage (we've been struggling to fit a sedan + suv in the past)
- no walk-in pantry

2) bradbury:
- half the size of the master bedroom
- no closed-door library (our office is messy)

bradbury is winning.... but we're hoping for people who's living in those 2 models can chime in..
Old 2014-04-07, 01:47 PM
Regular User

Post the floorplans for for us to see and compare
Old 2014-04-07, 08:42 PM
Regular User

I prefer the Bradbury.
-The Laundry on the 2nd Floor
-Large Mud room (Does not share it with Laundry)
-Butler Pantry straight to Dining Room, and large pantry to pack those messy kitchen appliances you use once a year lol
-Stairs to basement is not within mudroom/laundry (as in Evergreen), which is important if you actually plan on using the basement for anything.

Basically, I don't like the Evergreen's mish mash of stairs going down, mud room, laundry combination in one place.

I would probably end up using bedroom 3 as a study, and using the loft as a TV room. Of course, if you need to use all 4 bedrooms then that does not work for you. On the bright side, no one will see your messy loft since it is practically on the 2nd floor.

I actually prefer the Spruce or Maple when it comes to the Monarch models. The Evergreen 2nd floor just seems like some awkward maze. Maybe that is just me lol.
Old 2014-04-07, 10:31 PM
Regular User

I prefer the Bradbury as well. Besides what LostCause said, one thing turns me off on evergreen is that they put a toilet right in front of shower glass door in ensuite. It just feels weird. I would prefer it at the side of shower or on the opposite side of wall.
Old 2014-04-08, 06:21 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by s1301950 View Post
We're really torn between the two houses. Square footage is very similar. There are so many good things for both models, we're now using cons to hopefully find the winner:
1) evergreen:
- straight and steep staircase
- relatively narrower foyer
- relatively narrower garage (we've been struggling to fit a sedan + suv in the past)
- no walk-in pantry

2) bradbury:
- half the size of the master bedroom
- no closed-door library (our office is messy)

bradbury is winning.... but we're hoping for people who's living in those 2 models can chime in..
We moved into our Bradbury last May and it's our dream house. We built a Tamarack Bristol as our first home and we loved it, but it proved to be a little too open concept for our growing family. Here are a few things we absolutely love about the Bradbury.
  • Still very open concept but with a few more walls in the downstairs to define separate spaces
  • We added a wall and french doors on the entry side of the front living room, and we moved the entry closet to the other (non livingroom) wall. It helped to break that long wall, and it has created a beautiful front room.
  • Our office was always messy too, but we put it in the loft and it just stays clean now. I think because we always see it, it's motivation to keep it looking nice.
  • The pantry is fantastic and the door between kitchen and dining room is great. Nice to have the access, but also great to be able to close it if you have company sitting there and want to protect them from the kitchen madness! (We made it a french door though so it wasn't too gloomy)
  • The stairs are beautiful. We upgraded to oak up and down, and it just looks so nice. They stand out and yet blend into the house unlike lots of models where they stick out.
  • The sunken mudroom is fantastic. A nice area off to the side to keep the front entry clean. Plus because it's a step lower, you can step out into the garage without stairs. You save the space from stairs in the garage this way.
  • The garage is monsterous! The Bristol has a decent sized two car garage but this is so much wider. From the savings of no stairs, along with the extra width, we have an extra 4ft gained between/beside the cars.
  • The master is a little smaller, but it's a nice layout and we haven't found ourselves wanting of more space. The other rooms are wonderfully large and walkins for each... we really fell in love with the floorplan in large part because of the bedrooms.
  • Huge laundry room and hidden linen closet upstairs. We're upstairs laundry people - it just works for us - and the linen closet is a wonderful bonus, in a great location.
  • We remodeled the kitchen to accomodate a walloven and induction cooktop. We love the kitchen so much! We ended up extending the island a bit too and it's amazing as extra prep/eating space.
  • So much more, but I'm late for work now! Will come back with more later
Old 2014-04-08, 10:27 AM
Regular User

Another very satisfied Bradbury owner here

We came from another model which had a larger master bedroom but we found it wasted space. I find the master bedroom in the Bradbury a perfect size: we have a king sized bed, two large nightstands and a large double dresser. If we ever wanted a console table with a television on it, we would definitely have room for that too. I prefer the shower and tub location in the Evergreen (getting into the tub in the Bradbury can be a bit awkward - wish I had upgraded to a free standing tub), but I don't like the toilet placement at all.

I love the fact that each bedroom in the Bradbury has a walk-in closet - great for storage. The secondary bedrooms are all large, and are very similar in size so no fighting about who gets which room. The upstairs linen closet is amazing. The master bedroom walk-in closet is a bit small, but I believe there is an alternate layout which enlarges it (but you lose the walk-in linen closet). We will eventually install closet organizers in our walk-in closet and I think that will maximize the space. We use the walk-in closet in the guest room to store extra clothes off-season.

We love our kitchen. We have a large island (one level, not two level) and as Trepex says, it is great workspace. The walk-in pantry is fantastic.

We had a formal living room in our last home, which we never used. In our Bradbury, we converted the formal living room to a home office and added a second set of french doors so we could close it off completely.

We use our loft as an upstairs television room/play room and we converted the railing there to a half wall - hides the mess from downstairs.

The Evergreen has a larger family room, but consider your furniture placement - where is the t.v. going to go, and how will you arrange furniture to ensure that traffic flow is not impeded? We learned this the hard way in our last house, and realized after the fact that the model home didn't have a television in the family room, probably for that very reason.

Best of luck with your decision!
Old 2014-04-08, 01:48 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginkybiloba View Post
Another very satisfied Bradbury owner here

We came from another model which had a larger master bedroom but we found it wasted space. I find the master bedroom in the Bradbury a perfect size: we have a king sized bed, two large nightstands and a large double dresser. If we ever wanted a console table with a television on it, we would definitely have room for that too. I prefer the shower and tub location in the Evergreen (getting into the tub in the Bradbury can be a bit awkward - wish I had upgraded to a free standing tub), but I don't like the toilet placement at all.

I love the fact that each bedroom in the Bradbury has a walk-in closet - great for storage. The secondary bedrooms are all large, and are very similar in size so no fighting about who gets which room. The upstairs linen closet is amazing. The master bedroom walk-in closet is a bit small, but I believe there is an alternate layout which enlarges it (but you lose the walk-in linen closet). We will eventually install closet organizers in our walk-in closet and I think that will maximize the space. We use the walk-in closet in the guest room to store extra clothes off-season.

We love our kitchen. We have a large island (one level, not two level) and as Trepex says, it is great workspace. The walk-in pantry is fantastic.

We had a formal living room in our last home, which we never used. In our Bradbury, we converted the formal living room to a home office and added a second set of french doors so we could close it off completely.

We use our loft as an upstairs television room/play room and we converted the railing there to a half wall - hides the mess from downstairs.

The Evergreen has a larger family room, but consider your furniture placement - where is the t.v. going to go, and how will you arrange furniture to ensure that traffic flow is not impeded? We learned this the hard way in our last house, and realized after the fact that the model home didn't have a television in the family room, probably for that very reason.

Best of luck with your decision!
I should point out that during our build ginkybiloba gave us some similar ideas and that's why we added the wall/door in the front room, and made other changes throughout. I need to get some pictures up to give you some ideas of things that we did. Ginkybiloba had some good ones at one point.