Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > General > Home Owner Tips, Upgrades and Maintenance

Home Owner Tips, Upgrades and Maintenance General information on what to do with your new home. Garden, yard, driveway, basement finishing, and everything in between.

Old 2014-04-21, 02:09 PM
Regular User

Default thin granite

our builder (mattamy) is offering granite counter top As a promotional offer. But then we find out that the standard offering is the special edition 3/4 '' granite. To upgrade to level 1 granite 1 1/4'' granite is 1800$ for kitchen and island. Any Opinions whether is it worth it to upgrade? I am mostly concerned that if I resell will the thinner granite drag down the value of the house as I already spend over 6k on kitchen upgrade? Also, anybody have any picture of how the thin granite looks like in the kitchen?
Old 2014-04-21, 04:58 PM
Regular User

Nope. thickness doesn't affect resale, imo I don't even care if a house has granite.
Old 2014-04-21, 05:37 PM
Regular User

I had 3/4" marble in my last house (we had the choice of marble or granite, I chose marble)... we had it for 5 years and I never saw a problem with it... I personally wouldn't pay extra for thicker marble/granite and wouldn't really like that I had to pay extra in a resale because someone else expected to make their money back that they spent.
That might just be me though.

One thing I would pay extra for though, is to upgrade from that "builder barf" color... I'd much rather have thin granite than that speckly black/beige granite.
Old 2014-04-21, 10:41 PM
Regular User

I differ in opinion, I would upgrade to the thicker granite personally. I find the thin granite looks kinda cheap and will be noticeable if you have an undermount sink. The other option you could do is have them double up the edges to make it look thinker if you can picture what I mean by that. Your call cause it's your house!
Old 2014-04-21, 10:59 PM
Regular User

We have had both...and it does not affect resale if you have a thicker granite..no one is willing to pay for upgrades you did...thats your own mistake that you spent so much on your home ( speaking from personal experience)... They like to buy your home if you have better upgrades but would not want to pay the price for that...so in our current home we settled for the thin granite but with double edging and it looks good to me. If you want to see the edging I. Can post a pic of that

progress thread
http://www.buildinghomes.ca/communit...ad.php?t=21560
Old 2014-04-22, 12:16 AM
Regular User

Why do people take granite upgrades from the builder when it's cheaper to do it after closing? This way you get to choose the thickness, edge style that you want. Cosmetic upgrades like granite, hardwood floors are almost always cheaper if done after closing. You want to upgrade structural stuff & things that are harder/impossible to do after closing.
Old 2014-04-22, 05:39 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrob View Post
Why do people take granite upgrades from the builder when it's cheaper to do it after closing? This way you get to choose the thickness, edge style that you want. Cosmetic upgrades like granite, hardwood floors are almost always cheaper if done after closing. You want to upgrade structural stuff & things that are harder/impossible to do after closing.
Our last two builders didn't give a credit if you didn't take it.
Also after my last reno, I'm hoping to see as little contractors in my home as possible for the rest of my life lol
I'd rather just pay extra to have everything done and not miss work to have to babysit them... it actually costs me less.
Old 2014-04-22, 01:00 PM
Regular User

Thanks, the problem for my situation is that if I upgrade later, I would have to throw the current 3/4'' granite counter top away, and I am not sure if it is cheaper to do afterwards.
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrob View Post
Old 2014-04-22, 01:04 PM
Regular User

Thanks very much. I guess my other problem is I don't know how Mattamy is going to install the thin granite (with thicker edge or not, most likely not) and I never saw a house with thin granite before.

I checked my contract again. Mattamy also warned that if we install slide-in-Range, we should upgrade to level 1 thicker granite for height adjustment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picky View Post
We have had both...and it does not affect resale if you have a thicker granite..no one is willing to pay for upgrades you did...thats your own mistake that you spent so much on your home ( speaking from personal experience)... They like to buy your home if you have better upgrades but would not want to pay the price for that...so in our current home we settled for the thin granite but with double edging and it looks good to me. If you want to see the edging I. Can post a pic of that
Old 2014-04-22, 01:42 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivet View Post
Thanks, the problem for my situation is that if I upgrade later, I would have to throw the current 3/4'' granite counter top away, and I am not sure if it is cheaper to do afterwards.
Your backsplash would also probably have to be redone.