Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > General > Home Owner Tips, Upgrades and Maintenance

Home Owner Tips, Upgrades and Maintenance General information on what to do with your new home. Garden, yard, driveway, basement finishing, and everything in between.

Old 2014-06-25, 06:43 PM

Default Shutters: Eclipse vs Shade O'matic

Looking to get shutters for my newly purchased home. I think I am leaning towards vinyl and either brand Eclipse or Shade O'matic. Can someone share their experience shopping for shutters, cost and quality? Also, if there's a vendor you would recommend?
Old 2014-06-25, 11:15 PM
Regular User

Personally don't like anything vinyl incl shutters! Don't forget off gassing, does not keep the heat/cold out same as wood since it's hollow inside, yellowing, etc. Also looks cheap from the samples I have seen. It's like floors, most people prefer real hardwood vs laminate

My brother recently went through this vinyl vs wood shutters and in the end went with wood shutters.

Where in Ontario are you located?
Old 2014-06-27, 11:57 AM
Regular User

Vinyl shutters are ugly, they look so bulky, plasticy, shiny & cheap, wood for sure
Old 2014-06-30, 11:17 AM
Regular User

we have both vinyl eclipse and wood. the wood does not keep out light as well as the vinyl (and the finish can crack if the wood swells from too much moisture), but the vinyl end caps keep coming loose. in my opinion, neither are better than the other. whatever you do, get a great installer - that will make the biggest difference.