Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2015-04-02, 09:03 AM
Regular User

Default Insulation when rooms are over the garage

The Urbandale Oakview post has me wondering what kind of insulation is required when rooms are over the garage? We'll have two bedrooms above our garage and we want to make sure we aren't dealing with the same kind of issues the Oakview owners are experiencing. We assumed all builders would do what's needed to be done but clearly Urbandale isn't doing things properly so we can't assume our builder will either.

Can someone tell me what insulation is required? Is there anything else to check other than insulation?

The specs from our builder states the following: R32 batt insulation at garage ceiling below heated plenum at underside of second floor finished areas and spray foam insulation at cantilevered floor areas. Is this sufficient?

Thanks
Old 2015-04-02, 03:50 PM
Regular User

The R values sound good but batt type insulation is IMO a bit old-school. That does not mean it can't be done right but foam is always the better option because it eliminates gaps and is intimate to the surface it is applied to. One thing you can confirm is that the HVAC air returns in those rooms is close to the floor and not high on the wall.
Old 2015-04-04, 08:48 AM
Regular User

I think I upgraded mine to R-50. One thing to check though is the exterior wrap. I saw in my one year inspection that the garage area (below the bedroom) was missing the wrap for a section that was about 3' x 5'.

Spray would even be better.
Old 2015-04-08, 08:55 AM
Regular User

Thank you for the feedback
Old 2015-04-14, 09:05 AM
Regular User

LaPierre Law in Blackburn. Have used them for multiple purchases

http://www.lapierrelaw.ca/
Ex-Minto Homeowner
Old 2015-04-14, 09:15 AM
Regular User

Quote: