Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2009-06-09, 12:12 PM
Regular User

Default filing a claim with tarion RE pdi deficiencies question

For deficiencies listed on the PDI. It is my understanding the builder has 120 days to correct them, but is it 120 days from closing or 120 days from the PDI inspection?

If you notice deficiencies can you or should you tell the builder? or wait for the 30 day or 1 year?
Old 2009-06-09, 12:33 PM
Regular User

It depends, cosmetic deficiencies can wait til 30-day/1year... so that you don't have to book so many friggin repair appointments. I report major deficiencies or exterior deficiencies as they arise.

Also remember if you move in with dirty windows or dirty/dusty brick/cement work, it is up to the builder to correct this.

Old 2009-06-09, 12:36 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fingers View Post
It depends, cosmetic deficiencies can wait til 30-day/1year... so that you don't have to book so many friggin repair appointments. I report major deficiencies or exterior deficiencies as they arise.

Also remember if you move in with dirty windows or dirty/dusty brick/cement work, it is up to the builder to correct this.
sounds good, any ideas how long they have to sort out PDI deficiencies? 120 days from closing? or 120 days from the PDI?
Old 2009-06-09, 12:44 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgauvin View Post
sounds good, any ideas how long they have to sort out PDI deficiencies? 120 days from closing? or 120 days from the PDI?
To tell you the truth, I don't remember. Tarion sends you a receipt acknowledgement, and in it they state the deadline to make a claim for each submission.

Old 2009-06-09, 12:58 PM
Regular User

From my understanding, you don't send the PDI form to Tarion. It is a document between you and the builder for issues to be solved.

Before the end of your 30 days from closing date, you have to send another form "30-Days form" to Tarion and the Builder. That form should included ALL ITEMS that you have found during your PDI and NOT SOLVED yet. Also, if should include all NEW ITEMS that you have found during your first 30 days.

Tarion will send you an acknowledgment that they have received your form and that you will send them a letter 120 days from that 30 days mark for any items not solved.

If you want Tarion to get involved since you have issues that the builder did not solve, then you ask for Reconciliation and they would arrange for a time to visit with the builder. There is a fee for this service that is waived if they find any item on your list that is covered by warranty.
Old 2009-06-09, 01:28 PM
Regular User

Following the submission of your 30 day form, Tarion given you a date range by which you must report that there are outstanding items by. For us, it was between May 5 and June 8. We had a number of outstanding items, all of which are exterior. We chose to protect ourselves by reporting them as incomplete. I simply called Tarion and they went through the 30 day list and I indicated which ones are not complete. Tarion then sends you a letter, copies the builder, listing the items outstanding with a date by which the builder must complete the items. We have a concilliation enspection schedulesd for July 16-ish. Should the builder complete the items prior to the date, I just have to call and cancel it. I have to give 24 hour notice. I'm hoping to be able to do this

There is a $50 fee, which you can either pay by credit card or cheque on day of inspection. I chose to pay on day of inspection. The $50 will be refunded if the inspector finds one item outstanding, which they absolutely will (for example, our front walkway is missing. It's in the purchase agreement but not there. No dispute about that one).
Old 2009-06-09, 01:41 PM
Regular User

Ok, I guess there is no time limit for the PDI things. Thankfully all the PDI stuff is on the 30 day list. I know I am ahead of the curve, I'll just have to sit tight and wait for the letter from Tarion.
Old 2009-06-09, 01:51 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by karrietg View Post
Following the submission of your 30 day form, Tarion given you a date range by which you must report that there are outstanding items by. For us, it was between May 5 and June 8. We had a number of outstanding items, all of which are exterior. We chose to protect ourselves by reporting them as incomplete. I simply called Tarion and they went through the 30 day list and I indicated which ones are not complete. Tarion then sends you a letter, copies the builder, listing the items outstanding with a date by which the builder must complete the items. We have a concilliation enspection schedulesd for July 16-ish. Should the builder complete the items prior to the date, I just have to call and cancel it. I have to give 24 hour notice. I'm hoping to be able to do this

There is a $50 fee, which you can either pay by credit card or cheque on day of inspection. I chose to pay on day of inspection. The $50 will be refunded if the inspector finds one item outstanding, which they absolutely will (for example, our front walkway is missing. It's in the purchase agreement but not there. No dispute about that one).

As of July 1 2009 the consillation fee has increased substantially for the home owner and builder. For the home owner it will be $ 250 plus GST and the builder $1000 plus GST. This is due to the high cost of the consillation inspection and to deter filing because a lot of claims are for items that are not truly warrantable and are more cosmetic.
Old 2009-06-09, 02:51 PM
Regular User

Sorry misunderstood your question -- my answers were pertinent to 30 day and 1 year reports only -- not PDI. The PDI and 24 hour inspections are done strictly through the builder