Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > General > Home Owner Tips, Upgrades and Maintenance

Home Owner Tips, Upgrades and Maintenance General information on what to do with your new home. Garden, yard, driveway, basement finishing, and everything in between.

Old 2013-12-26, 07:56 PM
Regular User

Set the dial to the maximum desired indoor humidity level. If a higher relative humidity level is detected the unit will switch to high speed to correct the problem. The HRV will not stop running no matter where you have it set. It's not designed to turn on and off like a furnace.

I leave my dial in the comfort zone and let it run continuous. If I have condensation build up on the windows, I either turn the dial up a little to kick in high speed or turn down the furnace humidifier until the outdoor temp. rises.
Old 2013-12-27, 11:22 AM
Regular User

weird coz its set to 55% right now and its not on and the light on the stat is orange. When it cycles on it usually green, if I set it under 55% it will turn on.

If I set it around 30 to 35 percent then yes it says on 24/7 but then the house gets really cold.
Old 2013-12-30, 12:45 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebise101 View Post

If I set it around 30 to 35 percent then yes it says on 24/7 but then the house gets really cold.
Your thermostat should be keeping your house at the temperature it is set at. But,,, running the HRV 24/7 will cool the house so the furnace will run longer and more often. IMO NO one should be running the HRV 24/7. It is a waste of hard earned heat and the air in your home should not be so contaminated that it would be required.

While an HRV will transfer heat to the cold air that is brought in, it does not transfer 100% of that heat. The result is that the air blowing out of your registers when ever the furnace is not running is cool.

IMO, using the HRV as a glorified exhaust system for bathroom fans is not a great idea.
Old 2013-12-31, 12:46 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halton Home Inspector View Post
Your thermostat should be keeping your house at the temperature it is set at. But,,, running the HRV 24/7 will cool the house so the furnace will run longer and more often. IMO NO one should be running the HRV 24/7. It is a waste of hard earned heat and the air in your home should not be so contaminated that it would be required.

While an HRV will transfer heat to the cold air that is brought in, it does not transfer 100% of that heat. The result is that the air blowing out of your registers when ever the furnace is not running is cool.

IMO, using the HRV as a glorified exhaust system for bathroom fans is not a great idea.
my thoughts exactly, I would have been okay if it ran on a timer based system I hate having it on 24/7. We run it while cooking and a few ours after that to cycle the air and sometimes at night and I believe that dose the trick to keep the air fresh.
Old 2013-12-31, 02:12 PM
Regular User

Agree with the thoughts above - I've now taken to running the HRV a couple of times a day - really wish there was a control which did intermittent but doesn't seem there is. This way I get some fresh air changes in my "tightly sealed" house but I'm not pumping my heat dollars out continuously. I also only ever run it on low speed - on high speed you can feel the cold coming out of the registers and sooner or later the furnace has to kick in again - how this helps make a house Energy Star is beyond me! Turned off, house is nice and cosy with little need for the furnace all day.

I also suspect the HRV was competing against my recently installed humidifier - lots of water condensing and draining away as the warm humid indoor air mixes with the freezing incoming air in the HRV. So, costing me on my water bill too!

I'd love to see some proper evaluations but anecdotally from my experiences, it seems to me like most HVAC systems and devices aren't really thought through or holistically planned. I guess I'll just need to experiment and try to get the best performance from what we've ended up with.
Old 2013-12-31, 03:27 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by richyrich View Post
Agree with the thoughts above - I've now taken to running the HRV a couple of times a day - really wish there was a control which did intermittent but doesn't seem there is. This way I get some fresh air changes in my "tightly sealed" house but I'm not pumping my heat dollars out continuously. I also only ever run it on low speed - on high speed you can feel the cold coming out of the registers and sooner or later the furnace has to kick in again - how this helps make a house Energy Star is beyond me! Turned off, house is nice and cosy with little need for the furnace all day.

I also suspect the HRV was competing against my recently installed humidifier - lots of water condensing and draining away as the warm humid indoor air mixes with the freezing incoming air in the HRV. So, costing me on my water bill too!

I'd love to see some proper evaluations but anecdotally from my experiences, it seems to me like most HVAC systems and devices aren't really thought through or holistically planned. I guess I'll just need to experiment and try to get the best performance from what we've ended up with.
Do the Venmar/Vanee "Altitude/Platinum" control panels not work with the HRVs? That's what I have with my Venmar ERV and love it. I personally use the smart mode that decides on its own when to recirc and when to vent, but there is a great schedule functionality too.
Old 2014-01-01, 10:19 AM
Regular User

This is just my opinion but,,,,

I'm not a big fan of so called "smart" HRV controls. I don't want a device to determine when my HRV should be ON based on humidity levels. For me, the HRV should be more about YOU and how YOU perceive the air to feel and smell.

For example - a "smart" HRV control is not smart enough to know that you have just cooked fish or a steak and the house smells yet that is when I would want the unit to be ON.

Maybe I'm just being simple minded but I like to control things like HRV's so I prefer VanEE's Lite-Touch Central Control.

This LED indicator push-button wall control shows clearly in which operating mode the unit is in and has three functions:

1 - Intermittent (low speed air exchange for 20 min and off for 40 min.)
2 - Min (low speed air exchange)
3 - Max (high speed air exchange)

This keeps things simple - You burn a steak, set it on Max for 15 minutes to clear the house. Having company over and doing lots of cooking, set it on Min while they are there. Everyday use in the winter, set it on Intermittent.

Old 2014-01-01, 11:22 AM
Regular User

Yes of course. Smart mode is great for when you don't have special circumstances. I'm intelligent enough to turn on my range good and press the vent button when I cook something smelly. The smart mode is just great for optimizing air changes while maintaining a reasonable humidity range.

People are obviously different, but I frankly like having something optimize the air when I'm not actively doing it myself.

My bathrooms and laundry room have the controls for the 20-40-60 mins of venting and for the kitchen ERV vent I use the main Altitude panel.

I don't view my ERV as a glorified bathroom fan. It works well as a very quiet bathroom fan and quickly removes humidity from my bathroom, but it also ensures we always have fresh air. We've left it off it the past and is shocking how stuffy the house gets.