Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > York Region > Stouffville > Stouffville - River Ridge, MainStreet and Country Lane

Stouffville - River Ridge, MainStreet and Country Lane For residents and soon-to-be residents of Stouffvilles Main Street and River Ridge, Great Gulf Homes, Fieldgate, Greenpark and more!

Old 2006-09-20, 02:04 PM
Regular User

Default Garage Insulation?

Just wondering if anyone knows if GGH uses spray foam on the garage ceiling for insulation? I don't remember seeing this anywhere, and I don't think it's an upgrade option...?
Old 2006-09-20, 03:21 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig & Sophie
Just wondering if anyone knows if GGH uses spray foam on the garage ceiling for insulation? I don't remember seeing this anywhere, and I don't think it's an upgrade option...?
I know that they have to put insulation on the ceiling of the garage because our home has a bedroom above. I asked Maxine our consultant awhile ago. I don't know what kind of insulation it is - spray foam or regular. She also said the interior walls in the garage will also be insulated/finished with drywall. Therefore one wall (exterior) will not be finished. hope this helps.

Julia
Old 2006-09-20, 04:40 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by J&J
Therefore one wall (exterior) will not be finished.
Julia
I was expecting all walls in the garage to be drywalled.
I drove around another GGH development and all the garages that had the doors open were all drywalled. I hope that isn't an optional extra.
Old 2006-09-20, 06:33 PM
Regular User

I think the building code states spray insulation is to be used cover open areas and crevices between garage and living areas, and rest is covered by regular insulation, around boxed duct work that runs through the garage and the ceiling.. u can confirm with building inspector for the town.
Old 2006-09-20, 07:58 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_V
I think the building code states spray insulation is to be used cover open areas and crevices between garage and living areas, and rest is covered by regular insulation, around boxed duct work that runs through the garage and the ceiling.. u can confirm with building inspector for the town.
This should be in your sales agreement actually.

When we originally purchased in MOM, spray foam was an upgrade. Mattamy later did an amendment to our agreement to include spray foam as standard.

Jason
2007...MOVED IN!
Old 2006-09-20, 09:14 PM
Regular User

let me clarify... only holes and crevices need to be spray foamed, the rest of it is regular insulation by code. and yes you should check your schedule A to see if they will use regular insulation or spray foam for the whole area that is is considered to be living space (room above garage).
Old 2006-09-21, 12:36 AM
Regular User

I've been doing some research on this topic because I may be reinsulating the floor above my garage so the room above is not as cold. We've found in our curent home the room is approx 2 degrees colder than the rest of the house.

I found that: spray foam is only R20. I've been told that the batt insulation the builder installs is R40. (sound correct??).

The ceiling of your garage is not connected to the floor of the room above. If you were to remove the drywall of the garage ceiling you'd find approx 5' of open space before the floor of the room above. The builder builds a suspended ceiling in the garage then insulates that and drywalls it. The builder then pipes in heating ducts into the cavity above and this open area is heated with the heat from your furnance. By keeping this cavity warm the floor above in theory stays warm.

I suspect that this room above the garage is always colder than the rest of the upper level due to 1. poor insulation methods and 2. distance from furance. ie. Furance at rear of house, room at front of house 2 levels up.

Here are pics from my new house with the room above the garage. Here you can see the heating ducts in the cavity:

Old 2006-09-21, 07:48 AM
Regular User

Ours was very similiar. They filled the entire space between the drywall and the floor with spray foam. You must remember that with spray foam there are not going to be any little areas that are not insulated. I think that this space is hard to insulate with the wires and pipes going through it, so with spray foam you should get better coverage.

Jason
2007...MOVED IN!
Old 2006-09-25, 08:48 AM
Regular User

Just an update... I emailed GGH and they have confirmed that they use spray foam on our garage ceilings. Good news
Old 2006-09-25, 10:03 AM
Regular User

Thanks for the info guys, that's great news.
Own a house near 10th & Hoover Park.

P.S. Username should be John