Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2017-08-21, 01:16 PM
Regular User

Fyi, just moved into the new place that has a tankless. I went from a traditional hot water tank to a tankless and thought I'd have weak pressure and wait forever for hot water. Not the case at all. No issues whatsoever. Water pressure is great, takes no time for the hot water to come out.. around 28 seconds to be exact compared to 13 seconds on a traditional hot water tank. Not much of a difference. So glad I decided not to replace it. I'm renting it for $39.99 per month and have the option to buy it out but haven't been able to confirm the cost yet.
Old 2017-08-22, 04:57 PM
Regular User

good luck, I've been "renting" one for 8 years and I asked in the spring what the buyout was, $3500....
Old 2017-08-22, 09:06 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvalonMacpherson View Post
good luck, I've been "renting" one for 8 years and I asked in the spring what the buyout was, $3500....
That seems really high. I rented in my previous home 8 yrs as well and the buy out would have been 1200 which I thought was pretty high. That was through reliance.
Old 2017-08-23, 08:32 AM
Regular User

We bought out our tankless a few months after we moved in. It was $3500...cheaper than two outside quotes we got for installation of a new one.
Old 2017-08-23, 04:33 PM
Regular User

We moved in to our new built home in March (when it was pretty cold) & coming from a house with a tank, we really struggled. Tankless water heater takes too long (for me probably) but I have also realized that it takes less time now than it did in March, I guess the weather being warm makes a big difference. I find that shower part is ok but for washing dishes off & on it is really tough when you have to wait for several minutes for the hot water to come, not to mention the water/sewerage bill.
We are still contemplating if we could switch to a tank......
Thanks everyone for all the info.
Old 2017-08-24, 11:53 AM
Regular User

Was quoted a buyout cost through Enercare for my tankless Rinnai ru80i. The cost would be $3590 + HST. The monthly rental cost is $39.99.
Old 2017-08-24, 01:55 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by OttawaG View Post
We moved in to our new built home in March (when it was pretty cold) & coming from a house with a tank, we really struggled. Tankless water heater takes too long (for me probably) but I have also realized that it takes less time now than it did in March, I guess the weather being warm makes a big difference. I find that shower part is ok but for washing dishes off & on it is really tough when you have to wait for several minutes for the hot water to come, not to mention the water/sewerage bill.
We are still contemplating if we could switch to a tank......
Thanks everyone for all the info.
Hi, if you are renting then the company can definitely change out the tank for you. I think a 40 or 50 gallon tank will be higher in rental costs though. Just tell then you don't like the tankless, it's not adequate and ask them to change it. They should accommodate you.
Old 2017-08-25, 03:13 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrizia View Post
Hi, if you are renting then the company can definitely change out the tank for you. I think a 40 or 50 gallon tank will be higher in rental costs though. Just tell then you don't like the tankless, it's not adequate and ask them to change it. They should accommodate you.
Thanks Patrizia, this is now on my to do list
Old 2017-08-29, 03:51 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrizia View Post
A tank based heater should be 10-15 less a month
Old 2017-08-29, 03:57 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvg View Post
A tank based heater should be 10-15 less a month
My tank cost me $50 per month through Reliance. This new tankless is $39.99 to rent through Enercare.