Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > General > Home Owner Tips, Upgrades and Maintenance

Home Owner Tips, Upgrades and Maintenance General information on what to do with your new home. Garden, yard, driveway, basement finishing, and everything in between.

Old 2014-04-03, 07:22 PM
Regular User

deleted/removed

Last edited by jebise101; 2014-09-03 at 10:15 PM.
Old 2014-04-03, 07:43 PM
Regular User

Glad to hear it worked out

Babysitting these builders to fix stuff that should have been constructed correctly the first time around is surely a full time job. In fact, I used to set an Outlook reminder for myself everyday to send my builder email follow ups and phone calls for scheduling repairs, lol!

The time consuming aspect of exterior or "seasonal" repairs is when it could get timely or better yet, certain "fixes" have an expiration and are only covered within a certain window. For instance roof shingles. If some blow off the builder will come and fix it within the first year. After that, you're on your own.
Old 2014-04-03, 11:19 PM
Regular User

The problem is people have jobs and lives to lead. They can't have chasing up builders as a full time occupation. Waiting three years to use a bathroom or have doors on kitchen cabinets isn't a realistic ask for 99% of people so Tarion is the only tool homeowners have. There's enough feedback in this thread alone that shows it worked for people.

Old 2014-04-03, 11:42 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by London2Ottawa View Post
The problem is people have jobs and lives to lead. They can't have chasing up builders as a full time occupation. Waiting three years to use a bathroom or have doors on kitchen cabinets isn't a realistic ask for 99% of people so Tarion is the only tool homeowners have. There's enough feedback in this thread alone that shows it worked for people.
My comment about "chasing builders as a full time job" was sarcasm

Bottom line - pick and choose your battles when to engage Tarion. You can raise all of the conciliations you want but don't expect to win, especially if start raising these after the 30 day window. I personally wouldn't raise anything if they missed their 30 day deadline. Most builders do. That's why they have a one year form for carry over items.

From the few items you've listed, I'd be mad as well. Have they told you why after 3 years that they haven't addressed your cabinets?

This is not a polling station, only feedback from experience. I totally understand how frustrating it is (believe me, I've been there).

Just setting expectations - Here are more examples of Tarion siding with the builder:
http://www.buildinghomes.ca/communit...ad.php?t=20889

http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2...or_tarion.html

Last edited by hellokittygirl; 2014-04-03 at 11:46 PM.
Old 2014-04-04, 10:10 AM
Regular User

It's not been three years but I'm not willing to allow it to drag out that long. I accepted the wrong kitchen in the hope it would be finished quicker. I am missing doors more than 5 months since moving in. This is an example of about 5-6 big issues, many with no resolution in sight. It can easily become a full time job if you allow it be dragged out. We've had almost 30 days where appointments have been scheduled. We can't allow it to carry on like this and Tarion is the only route. We have tried to work with the builder but a line in the sand needs to be drawn.

While your approach worked for you, it doesn't work for everyone and is builder specific and situation specific.

Last edited by London2Ottawa; 2014-04-04 at 10:45 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 2014-04-04, 11:45 AM
Regular User

End to end, it took me 3 years to get everything done (from PDI to the last few major issues). By the time trades are booked, seasonality conditions (the weather cooperating). Sometimes it's beyond the builder's control and they will throw the Tarion book at you for when seasonal items can and cannot be fixed (just one example). Or if you have a leak in your basement, the crack has to show evidense of moisture and you have to "prove" it to the Tarion inspector when they come. If you cannot "prove" the deficiency or if what you feel is a deficiency, Tarion has specifications on what is and is not acceptable to THEM, not you.

In the case of your missing doors for 5 months is definately inexcuseable - has the builder provided an explanation to you as to you this is the case or at least a response to your compaint?
Old 2014-04-04, 02:05 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellokittygirl View Post
Actually persistence (email, phone calls) is your only option (for me anyway) and it worked.

Once you filed conciliation (and paid the non refundable fee), did you "win"? If so what was the quality of workmanship for the fix in question? If I were a betting person it was probably sub-par.

What was the issue in which you had to engage Tarion?
When i filed for conciliation the fee was refundable, however i would have still filed even if it wasn't refundable. I had a number of issues that were only fixed after the builder received their tarion notice. my list was extensive, and i was satisfied with the quality of the work done after the notice of conciliation. the work that was done before conciliation was not all to my satisfaction. My builder also agreed to refund my grading deposit early in exchange for dropping the conciliation inspection appointment for the few items remaining the day before the inspection.

I understand your experience may be different, however not everyone's experience has been the same as yours. Allowing a tarion deadline to pass because you're trying to be nice to the builder is very poor advice.
Old 2014-04-04, 02:33 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakvillehomeowner View Post
When i filed for conciliation the fee was refundable, however i would have still filed even if it wasn't refundable. I had a number of issues that were only fixed after the builder received their tarion notice. my list was extensive, and i was satisfied with the quality of the work done after the notice of conciliation. the work that was done before conciliation was not all to my satisfaction. My builder also agreed to refund my grading deposit early in exchange for dropping the conciliation inspection appointment for the few items remaining the day before the inspection.

I understand your experience may be different, however not everyone's experience has been the same as yours. Allowing a tarion deadline to pass because you're trying to be nice to the builder is very poor advice.
You have totaly missed the point I was making - pick and choose your battles when engaging them. Your builder won't comply with everything whether you think you are entitled to the fix our not. But if you DO engage Tarion, don't expect the builder to come running to you the next time you need them.
Old 2014-04-07, 12:48 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellokittygirl View Post
But if you DO engage Tarion, don't expect the builder to come running to you the next time you need them.
You're missing the point - if you're having to assert your warranty protection because the builder has failed to adequately address your concerns, you probably don't have much to lose from pissing off someone who has failed you many times already. there's no picking and choosing battles - tarion is a LAST resort. i know canadians are supposed to be polite, but don't let your warranty expire because you want to be nice to the builder.