Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Peel Region > Brampton

Brampton For residents of and soon to be residents of Brampton. Mattamy, Paradise, Skyhomes, Cachet, Townwood, Remington, Royal Park, Northstar, Ashley Oaks, Regal Crest, Rosehaven, Royal Pine, Eden Oak, Medallion, Castlestone and more.

Old 2010-01-15, 12:12 AM
Regular User

Question Vinyl or aluminium siding in roofing

I am currently looking at new houses in brampton and a design in particular has caught my attention.
I like the detached house, but i guess because of the roof design it probably has vinyl sidings on sides of the house.
Its actually all brick construction till the roof/attic line on 2nd floor, but for roof close-out on sides they have used vinyl.

Questions are:
Is it ok to buy such a house? would it affect resale of the house? i guess the house is still considered all brick since vinyl is the part of roof attic, right?
Are there any options which i should ask to builder?

i think brick replacement for vinyl would not be possible and even if it is the builder will kill me with the extra cost.

I would sincerely appreciate your input as time is of essence.

Thanks,
Jackie
Old 2010-01-15, 09:11 AM
Regular User

If you're talking about the craftsman style, where various materials are used to make up the front of the home, I personally find it very attractive, regardless of the actual material used. I dont think you'll have any problem with resale.

Then again, I'm the sort of person that buys a house for my/my family's needs/tastes, with minimal caution of how it would appeal to future owners.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00564.JPG
Views:	94
Size:	74.5 KB
ID:	5454   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00406_(Large).JPG
Views:	110
Size:	127.1 KB
ID:	5455  

Old 2010-01-15, 09:35 AM
Regular User

Builders cut cost when they sell the house cheaper than other places. The same house, same builder you will find it 's more expensive in Vaughan than in Brampton; so, builders have to find a way to make more $$$. If you go Cambridge, every new house has a vinyl siding
Old 2010-01-15, 11:34 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fingers View Post
If you're talking about the craftsman style, where various materials are used to make up the front of the home, I personally find it very attractive, regardless of the actual material used. I dont think you'll have any problem with resale.

Then again, I'm the sort of person that buys a house for my/my family's needs/tastes, with minimal caution of how it would appeal to future owners.
Hi Fingers,

Front use of any material for design is acceptable and i do agree that its quite innovative, but here the case is that the roofing sides above the slab on second floor is all vinyl, kinda looks completely different.

Its 2860 sq. ft house, so quite long on the sides and that's why the material used on the sides to close the roofing stands out
Old 2010-01-15, 11:37 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by klieu View Post
Builders cut cost when they sell the house cheaper than other places. The same house, same builder you will find it 's more expensive in Vaughan than in Brampton; so, builders have to find a way to make more $$$. If you go Cambridge, every new house has a vinyl siding
Hi Klieu,
Yes its a cost saving measure by the builder, but are there any options to overcome this kind of siding?
What should be my change proposal to buider, if any?
Old 2010-01-15, 11:48 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie View Post
Hi Klieu,
Yes its a cost saving measure by the builder, but are there any options to overcome this kind of siding?
What should be my change proposal to buider, if any?
some builder has option for brick siding you can ask them, brick looks nicer and less heat because it 's R value higher than vinyl

Last edited by klieu; 2010-01-15 at 11:51 AM.
Old 2010-01-15, 03:24 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Hi Fingers,

Front use of any material for design is acceptable and i do agree that its quite innovative, but here the case is that the roofing sides above the slab on second floor is all vinyl, kinda looks completely different.

Its 2860 sq. ft house, so quite long on the sides and that's why the material used on the sides to close the roofing stands out
Jackie,

What do you mean the roofing sides? The gables? And which slab? Concrete? I find myself confused by the description. Do you have a photo?

Old 2010-01-16, 12:06 AM
Regular User

i do not have the photo, its in royalpinehomes.com. select current communities, castlemore crossing and in 40' lots there is " the silver maple" elev. A. The sides may not look prominent in the available photo, but i have a 11 x 17 blown up picture showing it in full.

Infact i just checked my emails and had a response from the selling agent, that its a change in design (the approved elevation outlook) and cannot be done. In case if i intend to change it, the approval process would not be cost effective. So in nutshell he says drop the idea.

I like the house, but the siding is kind of a blot on the moon. Am really confused...please help.

Last edited by jackie; 2010-01-16 at 01:10 AM.
Old 2010-01-16, 07:40 AM
Regular User

Quote:
i do not have the photo, its in royalpinehomes.com. select current communities, castlemore crossing and in 40' lots there is " the silver maple" elev. A. The sides may not look prominent in the available photo, but i have a 11 x 17 blown up picture showing it in full.

Infact i just checked my emails and had a response from the selling agent, that its a change in design (the approved elevation outlook) and cannot be done. In case if i intend to change it, the approval process would not be cost effective. So in nutshell he says drop the idea.

I like the house, but the siding is kind of a blot on the moon. Am really confused...please help.
Why don't you buy elevation B if that bothers you. I found B very nice.

I personally don't like the siding at all and would likely refrain to buy a house with it just because of my personal taste. That said, I do agree with Fingers that you should buy what YOU like and what suits your family and not concern yourself with resale because it's going to be YOUR house for a while and it should fit YOUR taste and budget. There's a buyer for every home. You shouldn't choose what you buy based on what a future buyer might like, that's insanity. People have different tastes and you'll never please everyone.
Old 2010-01-16, 08:29 AM
Regular User

Quote:

That little bit of siding by the gable? That doesn't bother me AT ALL. Look at homes in Ottawa, they're 75% siding. We never do brick all around like they do in GTA. I personally like it, it breaks it up from the monotony of red brick.

Think about it this way -- you can always either put brick there after closing, or change it to stucco. It really isnt a big deal. They will put a lintel to hold back the brick, and go all the way up to the roof line.

Lastly, this appears to be a 34' wide house placed on a 40' lot. How much of that siding will be even be visible???

Last edited by Fingers; 2010-01-16 at 08:31 AM.