Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > General > Home Owner Tips, Upgrades and Maintenance

Home Owner Tips, Upgrades and Maintenance General information on what to do with your new home. Garden, yard, driveway, basement finishing, and everything in between.

Old 2006-08-06, 09:49 AM
Regular User

Default Your plans for the basement?????

So what plans do people have for their basements? We had the 3 piece rough-in put in as an upgrade, so we plan to install a bathroom later, also there will be a snooker table there for me, and a movie theatre if we can get it in
Old 2006-08-06, 09:32 PM
Regular User

Eventually, we will probably do the same. My wife really wants a pool table, and I'd like to setup a nice home theatre. This is all at least 3-5 years down the line though.
Old 2006-08-07, 01:15 AM
Regular User

I plan to wait 1 or 2 years then start the basement. I've already researched the different options for an engineered subfloor and also the best methods for insulating the basement walls.
Old 2006-08-07, 07:19 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark & Lynda
I plan to wait 1 or 2 years then start the basement. I've already researched the different options for an engineered subfloor and also the best methods for insulating the basement walls.
Care to share that with the rest of us? :-)
Old 2006-08-08, 03:43 PM
Regular User

I plan on installing Delta-FL (http://www.deltams.com/bvf/ca-en/pro...L.php?navid=18) over top the slab then T&G plywood followed by some type of finished floor which we haven't decided on yet. You can also use a product called Dri-core (www.dricore.com) that home depot sells. I like Delta FL because I can lay my own plywood before the finished floor.

For the walls I plan to adhere Styrofoam SM panels to the concrete walls, (http://www.dow.com/styrofoam/na/res-...ement_wall.htm) followed by 2x4 frame, batt insulation then drywall. Notice how I didn't say vapor barrier. Ontario building code says you need a VB in the basement but the building code is basically applying above grade principles to below grade applications which it shouldn't. The theory behind no VB in the basement is basically that water vapors will move from areas of high pressure to areas of low pressure or areas of high temperature to areas of lower temperature. If water vapors from the ground enter the wall cavity and there is a vapor barrier then the vapor is trapped and has no place to escape resulting in mold growth. Eliminate the vapor barrier and the wall assembly can dry to the interior.

Here are some articles explaining this in more detail that I found educational:

http://www.eere.energy.gov/buildings...s/db/35017.pdf

http://www.buildingscience.com/resou...r_basement.pdf

Last edited by Mark & Lynda; 2006-08-08 at 11:05 PM.