Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Halton Region > Burlington

Burlington For residents of and soon to be residents of Burlington. Alton Village. Sundial, Fernbrook, Mattamy, Emery, Tribute, Valery, Legend Creek, Branthaven, Monarch, Thornwood

Old 2012-09-27, 05:59 PM
Regular User

Default Water shut off valve on Front lawn. - Question/Worry

So my builder or someone has cut my water shut off valve off for what I can only think was to extend it above grade of lawn as it was well below. That was two weeks ago, they covered it with a plastic bottle and left it.

I called to get fixed as there was a large hidden hole along with it and was a bit hard on the kids ankles.

I came home today and the hole was filled in but the pipe was not repaired and as such dirt is freely falling into the pipe.

My question is how concerned should I be and who's responsible? Builder/City etc.

thx.
Old 2012-09-27, 09:49 PM
Regular User

You should get that fixed before the winter otherwise water will get in and freeze up causing you further head ache.

When mine was buried by the landscapers, the city sent someone to unearth it and bring it above grade.
Moved In: April 10th 2010
Old 2012-09-27, 11:33 PM
Regular User

Look for a blue spray painted arrow (I forget if it is on the sidewalk or on the road). Ours has been exposed for two years.

We originally tied a yellow ribbon on it so none of the delivery trucks burst a tire running it over. When the grade was done last year there was a lovely blue painted 2 x 4 put in beside it. When I inquired about it in the spring I was told that it would be dealt with when the second driveway paving was done.

We also just got our notice that the driveway is going to get its second paving.
Old 2012-09-28, 07:54 AM
Regular User

Just got our second coat. Not sure if putting the second coat on 2months after the first coat is all that bright considering some of the caved in driveways i have seen around and the fact that there was no freeze/thaw. Be interesting to see what they all look like in the spring.

I am worried about the dirt and stuff getting into the open pipe and what potential impact that may have. As well as being slightly pissed off.
Old 2012-09-28, 12:41 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivaldi_2011 View Post
I am worried about the dirt and stuff getting into the open pipe and what potential impact that may have. As well as being slightly pissed off.
if dirt or rocks get into the open pipe, then the special wrench they use to shut off your water won't be able to reach the valve, and if there is an emergency and the water meter or the valve in your house fails, then you could be looking at a much larger flood until they dig down to the valve and close it.
Old 2012-09-28, 09:09 PM
Regular User

The dirt and rocks have already fallen into the pipe, this is what I was afraid of.

S*****l are idiots, it amazes me the incompetence. They literally just through dirt over the open pipe and patted the sod back down. The office will be getting an early visitor on Monday and one who will not be in a happy mood.