Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2015-07-20, 04:32 PM
Regular User

Default Direct Energy / EnerCare Hot Water Heater Rental

We got the new house in April 2010, and in Feb 2012, we had Direct Energy replacing the original condensing HWT with a PDV. We are now interested in taking advantage of Lowe's sale on the tankless hot water heater.

Because of all the craziness about TOS in 2012, my wife just called EnerCare to see what options we have. The agent EnerCare said that we can only buy it out (at $1,272+tax).

EnerCare's webpage is not clear whether we belong to the old terms or the new terms
https://www.enercare.ca/home/water-h...rms-conditions

I'm confused and a bit frustrated. In Feb 2012 when we asked for a HWT replacement they didn't mention about the new terms (indeed, the work order and receipt we got was still on the old terms). Is there anyway I can get out of this rental contract without buying out?

Last edited by littlestone; 2015-07-20 at 04:33 PM. Reason: typo
Old 2015-07-20, 08:28 PM
Regular User

The link shows the terms based on installation date.
Old 2015-07-20, 09:38 PM
Regular User

Yes, that seems to be their interpretation. I just didn't know whether replacing the tank implied a new contract.

If there is no alternative to get out without buyout, I guess I will suck it up and consider it a lesson learned.
Old 2015-07-21, 08:56 AM
Regular User

Or keep it - there isn't a lot of benefit to a tankless other than infinite how water if you need that.
Old 2015-07-21, 09:15 AM
Regular User

One thing I've found with Tankless - yes, they are infinite but they take longer to get to temperature.
Old 2015-07-21, 09:44 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwgreen View Post
One thing I've found with Tankless - yes, they are infinite but they take longer to get to temperature.
I didn't notice THAT much of a difference between our tankless and with a tank, to be honest. Maybe we were lucky, but it wasn't nearly as bad as expected.

Old 2015-07-21, 10:43 AM
Regular User

I noticed a different in our gas bill - not having to heat the tank several times a night, each week, month...it adds up
Old 2015-07-21, 03:42 PM
Regular User

What we have right now is a Power Direct Vent, and for simplicity I want to keep the combustion air completely isolated to the heater if we stop renting. So I thought the options we had were:
1. Buying out the tank ($1,272+tax)
2. Returning the tank (not possible now) and buying an identical PDV new from LOWES (about $1,200+tax, plus installation which should be a couple hundred dollars)
3. Returning the tank (not possible now) and going tankless (it was $1,300+tax, plus installation which involved extension of vent pipes and gas line by a couple feet so that's another $400~$500)

The efficiency gain isn't that important to me. There are only two people in the house. I was willing to pay a few hundred bucks to get some space back when we furnish the basement by going tankless. But that's irrelevant now.
Old 2015-07-21, 09:00 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by xdarrylx View Post
I noticed a different in our gas bill - not having to heat the tank several times a night, each week, month...it adds up
Agreed. I was more speaking to the delay in hot water arriving at the tap. It was no different than clearing the "block" of cold water that's sitting in the pipes with a tank.

Old 2015-07-21, 09:02 PM
Regular User

-when you got a tank exchange you assumed the latest TOS on date of installation.

I dont get why option 2 was an option? Why would u want out of one tank just to get the same one back. basically paying double. If its rent thats bugging you buy out the tank you have. 15 years is average life expectancy.

When u finish the basement you could relocate the PDV tank to a location you want . Even though the tankless is smaller it still requires 24" service clearance to its front. So really you are not saving that much room. Because its a PDV you can basically close it up into a small closet(review install manual for clearances but you should be 1" all around 6" to the relief and 24" service clearance via a door access.

In some cases the original gas line size is not big enough to feed a tankless. Something to check on. you current tank is probably 50,000BTU a tankless is 200,000BTU at full demand.