Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2018-09-15, 03:39 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah2012 View Post
Contrary to the tone of many pages in this thread, I really don't believe this is something to stress about too much. Change your mindset to thinking about the water heater as an additional cost, like an air conditioner, that you will need to pay for upon closing - we're all paying for it one way or another.

I would recommend checking out Enercare's site and see what water heater will most likely be going in your home. And see if you can get a copy of the buyout schedule for that unit. Call around and get a few quotes for that tank/tankless. If it's a good system that other HVAC suppliers would probably have recommended for you, then you now the info you need to negotiate with Enercare. So you can call them on Day 1, tell them the pricing you found, and give them the price you want.

I hate seeing people pay for things for 30 years so I would say that if you can swing the $3k or whatever, don't pay interest on that for three decades if you don't have to.

*Note: this whole conversation is irrelevant if Urbandale/Enercare have included an iron-clad addendum to your sales agreement....
I agree that this shouldn't be as stressful as some people are making it out to be. In both condos I owned I had a rented water tank. And now in my new home I plan to keep my rental agreement with enercare. There are some perks to renting such as repairs and warranty. But I simply factor this rental cost into my expenses the way I do with my utilities. I just don't see the big deal.
Old 2018-09-15, 03:42 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Orleans View Post
I guess it is pretty clear you don't get it.

"That said, Enercare continues to bully its customers preventing them from having a choice. It's all about choice."

The builder is the one who tells you that you must agree to renting or buying out Enercare's tank. If you don't agree then they won't sell you the home. Enercare doesn't have a clue who you are until well after the tank that the builder wanted installed in that home has been installed.

Who's the bully again??? Your anger is very much misplaced.
Well said. And also I don't really care about choice. All I care is that my water is heated. I don't care who heats it and under what pretenses. All of these companies are similar and I am no expert in tanks to be exploring my options with any sort of valid reasoning. I really don't see the big deal. Certainly not worth not buying a home just because of a hot water tank rental agreement, in my opinion

Last edited by reens09; 2018-09-15 at 03:45 PM.
Old 2018-09-15, 05:15 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by reens09 View Post
Well said. And also I don't really care about choice. All I care is that my water is heated. I don't care who heats it and under what pretenses. All of these companies are similar and I am no expert in tanks to be exploring my options with any sort of valid reasoning. I really don't see the big deal. Certainly not worth not buying a home just because of a hot water tank rental agreement, in my opinion
It isn't a big deal, because if you don't want to use a rental unit in your new build and are willing to put the work into finding a much cheaper solution in most scenario's you choose, you can. The business practice devised by builders and rental companies to get customers and raise profits isn't legal and you just have to be willing to stand up for your rights as a consumer to not get sucked into this BS if you don't want to.

The point I would like to make is, don't try to illegally force your wishes on someone and expect everyone to bend over and take it like a good Canadian.
Old 2018-09-18, 10:26 AM
Regular User

I agree, why can't the water heater be treated just like the furnace, why do the builders slap the buyer with the rental for water heater but furnace is always owned.
While looking for a new built we had asked the builders (builders that we could afford to buy from....) about this & were told that we had no choice on this & if we didn't want the particular type of hot water unit (tank or tank less) the builder puts in then we should look for some other builder. And this wasn't even touching on the rental or owned. And back at that time the market was slump, one could walk in to the sales center & have a whole list of lots to choose from so in this hot Ottawa market buyers can't really have much say...
Just my two cents
Old 2018-09-25, 08:46 AM
Regular User

There's also issue of Enbridge accepting the third party billing without a signed contract. They must (by law) allow participating companies to charge through their third party agreement BUT in that agreement it states the participating company must have a signed contract with the renter (which 9/10 they don't). The rental company is passing along your information without your consent. Enbridge only cares about this if you complain and they must remove the third party charges.

If you are more comfortable renting... then rent. I don't think anyone here will get in your way. The issue is that some people do not want to rent an appliance. It's like buying a car and being forced to pay for satellite radio... or being forced into paying monthly for your dealer recommended maintenance. Works for some, not all.
Old 2018-09-25, 09:00 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyJoeJoe View Post
There's also issue of Enbridge accepting the third party billing without a signed contract. They must (by law) allow participating companies to charge through their third party agreement BUT in that agreement it states the participating company must have a signed contract with the renter (which 9/10 they don't). The rental company is passing along your information without your consent. Enbridge only cares about this if you complain and they must remove the third party charges.

If you are more comfortable renting... then rent. I don't think anyone here will get in your way. The issue is that some people do not want to rent an appliance. It's like buying a car and being forced to pay for satellite radio... or being forced into paying monthly for your dealer recommended maintenance. Works for some, not all.

I agree.. to each their own! Although I liken this more to being forced to rent winter tires rather than buy them. A hot water tank is a necessity for a home, not a luxury.
Old 2018-09-25, 09:18 AM
Regular User

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by reens09 View Post
I agree.. to each their own! Although I liken this more to being forced to rent winter tires rather than buy them. A hot water tank is a necessity for a home, not a luxury.
Much better comparison
Old 2018-09-25, 10:07 AM
Regular User

My problem isn't with renting a tank as opposed to buying. Its with the fact that you buy a house, have no choice of which heater you want installed or by who... and you're told that you're locked in to that rental until Enercare decide that they no longer want to maintain it. Oh you can buy it out, for 3x what its sold for online - my bad.
Old 2018-09-25, 09:35 PM
Regular User

-you don't have a choice with many things in a new home. Windows,shingles,plumbing,ect ect. These are not custom homes. You are buying a home from a builder with some minor changes and request at your disposal.

-online tanks dont include permits, electrical installation,vent installation, gas installation or venting installation.. Just to try and keep things in to perspective.. just a little.

That said its a shame builders still dont give home buyers the option. They could easily just tack on 5000$ to the purchase price of the home and everyone would pay it.
Old 2018-09-25, 09:39 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKG26 View Post
-you don't have a choice with many things in a new home. Windows,shingles,plumbing,ect ect. These are not custom homes. You are buying a home from a builder with some minor changes and request at your disposal.

-online tanks dont include permits, electrical installation,vent installation, gas installation or venting installation.. Just to try and keep things in to perspective.. just a little.

That said its a shame builders still dont give home buyers the option. They could easily just tack on 5000$ to the purchase price of the home and everyone would pay it.
My builder has given the option, at $4500. We're considering it.