Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2020-07-04, 11:54 PM
Regular User

Default Supevising the construction site

I just read on another forum of people checking out the construction site of their lot to "supervise" the building process and report back to the builder if there any issues. I didn't know this was allowed? Has anyone actually done this and succeeded with their builder?
Old 2020-07-05, 08:03 AM
Regular User

I don't think this is allowed, primarily for liability reasons. What if you or somebody in your family got hurt while trespassing on construction sites?

Also I would question if we (the typical consumers) have any construction knowledge to *supervise* anything.

You are best to check with your builders to confirm but my guess is the answer is a firm No.
Old 2020-07-05, 10:02 AM
Administrator

Some reasons builders do not want you on site:

1) Liability... unless you have the proper PPE and training, and working under their umbrella, you can't be there.

2) You in most cases will not know what you are looking at. Throwing a million questions at your builders staff about how something is constructed is a distraction.

3) It's not your house until you close on it.

Many builders will schedule a pre-drywall inspection with the purchaser to make sure things are according to the drawings.
For Your Home - For Your Condo - For Your Office

http://www.phand.ca/
Old Yesterday, 08:01 PM
Regular User

Agree with the others, you can't really "supervise" the construction of your house. One exception though is if something is very obvious on the exterior.

For example, we drove by our house occasionally while it was being built and one time we noticed the outside elevation was not being done properly (a section was being done in vinyl siding but we had paid extra for the elevation with brick veneer). So we contacted the builder and they immediately fixed that.

Apart from that though, for interior issues you would need to wait till your framewalk/PDI to bring it up to your builder.