Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > York Region > Stouffville > Stouffville - Mattamy On Main and Wheler’S Mill

Stouffville - Mattamy On Main and Wheler’S Mill For residents and soon-to-be residents of Mattamys On Main and Wheler's Mill.

Old 2006-11-29, 12:03 AM
Regular User

Default Changing layout plans...

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone knew if it was possible to change layout plans before any design centre appointments? We bought our home this past April for a an October 2007 close. Initially, we had picked a 5 bedroom and 3 washroom option, now we would like to change that to a 4 bedroom and 3 washroom option, is this something Mattamy would do? Logically, I don't see why not as we haven't had any design centre meetings and we have no intention of changing our elevation, but I figure if you can make major changes such as increasing the height of the basement and adding kitchen organizers, that this should be something that Mattamy is capable of doing without too much trouble. Has anyone else requested a similar change?...Any thoughts on this would be appreciated...Hope everyone has a good night...Thanks

Mallicks
Wheler's Mill Phase III
Old 2006-11-29, 09:28 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mallicks
I was wondering if anyone knew if it was possible to change layout plans before any design centre appointments? We bought our home this past April for a an October 2007 close. Initially, we had picked a 5 bedroom and 3 washroom option, now we would like to change that to a 4 bedroom and 3 washroom option, is this something Mattamy would do? Logically, I don't see why not as we haven't had any design centre meetings and we have no intention of changing our elevation, but I figure if you can make major changes such as increasing the height of the basement and adding kitchen organizers, that this should be something that Mattamy is capable of doing without too much trouble. Has anyone else requested a similar change?...Any thoughts on this would be appreciated...Hope everyone has a good night...Thanks
Yes it is possible to make layout changes, to a point. If your talking about removing a wall between two rooms, it shouldn't be a problem, just as long as it isn't a load bearing wall. You should call Mattamy to check.
Most of the large builders are trying to get away from custom homes. ie: Mattamy and GGH.
Own a house near 10th & Hoover Park.

P.S. Username should be John
Old 2006-11-29, 10:16 PM
Regular User

I don't think that Mattamy will let you do what you are requesting unless it is part of a PPO (Pre-planned option) which frankly I am tired of hearing from our design consultant. When we bought our home we were given literature saying that mattamy wanted to listen to what there customers wanted and take into consideration what we wanted in a home but it doesn't feel like that. Yes, I guess in our agreement of purchase and sale it talked about pre-planned options but the sales ladies did not even know what they were for each house and when we asked questions they told us to just wait and ask at the design center. We hope in the end that we will be glad we chose mattamy but we have had some frustrations in not getting some small and what would seem simple requests refused because they are stream-lining.

Old 2006-11-29, 11:32 PM
Regular User

Best thing to do would be to call the sales office and ask Mattamy. If they're the wrong people at least they could tell you who to talk to.

If you want to change to a different floorplan that was on the plans at the sales centre for your model I can't see any reason why they wouldn't - unless you're downgrading, in which case I bet they would resist it!

If you want to do anything custom, forget about it - as people have mentioned, they won't do ANYTHING that is custom any more. For instance, we wanted two drywalled closets on our landing omitted - which would mean less work for the builders and less materials - but we got an absolute 'no'.

Old 2006-12-01, 07:32 AM
Regular User

That's nuts.

We have found Mattamy to be very accommodating. Even late in the game.

Our design consultant was very helpful and the builder team has been awesome, it seems like they bend over backwards to make you happy. Sometimes without you even asking for it.

I guess if we were to look at it from their point of view, if they are building so many houses and everyone is expecting them to be built quickly and everyone is expecting top quality and you have to keep your price reasonable, well…

You’d have to control cost somehow. In a neighbourhood of 300 houses say, can you imagine trying to make 300 houses with all these custom bits? You are likely to make a few mistakes and have to redo things. Which means more cost.

For me, from the builders I have met, I am reasonably convinced that they really love their job and they are excited about building you a great home as opposed to it all being some kind of act. Ha ha… At first I wasn’t sure.
Old 2006-12-01, 03:50 PM
Regular User

My father in law who was in construction explained it to me. Apparently, the problem is they price out the jobs and sign contracts already by this time and schedules are made for all the lets say 100-300 houses. Any variation from this schedule is devistating not only to that one trade but all the other trades down the line eg. The framing guys are now behind and that throws the electricians and plumbers out, then the tilers, drywallers and then the finishers. When you get into large volume homebuilding a few small variations can mushroom out and delay the entire site. And they dont want to delay your neighbours, because you changed your mind or forgot something.
Old 2006-12-01, 11:44 PM
Regular User

Question Who was your Mattamy Design Consultant?

Just curious, who was your design consultant?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdyruffboy
That's nuts.

We have found Mattamy to be very accommodating. Even late in the game.

Our design consultant was very helpful and the builder team has been awesome, it seems like they bend over backwards to make you happy. Sometimes without you even asking for it.

I guess if we were to look at it from their point of view, if they are building so many houses and everyone is expecting them to be built quickly and everyone is expecting top quality and you have to keep your price reasonable, well…

You’d have to control cost somehow. In a neighbourhood of 300 houses say, can you imagine trying to make 300 houses with all these custom bits? You are likely to make a few mistakes and have to redo things. Which means more cost.

For me, from the builders I have met, I am reasonably convinced that they really love their job and they are excited about building you a great home as opposed to it all being some kind of act. Ha ha… At first I wasn’t sure.
Old 2006-12-04, 11:26 AM
Regular User

Whoops, sorry, I missed this post.

Jing.

You have to squeeze the information out of them from time to time. They seem to be very not salesy and pushy.
Old 2006-12-12, 10:11 AM
Regular User

Yea, Mattamy seems to be really sticking to those pre-planned designed options. On the whole I have to say I like them. However, when we had our appointment I asked about taking one of the kitchen designs and instead of a built in oven make it a pantry, we were told that it can't be done. But our design consultant, recommended contacting Canac after the fact and having them put the pantry in for us, sort of a custom built hutch in the kitchen, so while she dashed my hopes with one hand she saved the day with the other.
Towngate Elevation C Lot#80
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
Old 2006-12-12, 01:35 PM
Regular User

Like punching you in the face then giving you a towel to wipe the blood?