Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2019-12-12, 09:52 AM
Regular User

Default Green Transformer Box

Drove by our construction site and saw we have the dreaded big green transformer box between our lawn and the neighbour's. (This is my first time buying a new build and with an occupancy date of October 2020, I believed the sales person when he said he didn't have information about their location, or the location of street lights, mailboxes, etc.)

Has anybody had any luck getting their builder to plant bushes around it? Get extra studio design credits? With all the restrictions on planting around a transformer, it's a major eyesore.
Old 2019-12-12, 11:05 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTownMotownHolidayInn View Post
Drove by our construction site and saw we have the dreaded big green transformer box between our lawn and the neighbour's. (This is my first time buying a new build and with an occupancy date of October 2020, I believed the sales person when he said he didn't have information about their location, or the location of street lights, mailboxes, etc.)

Has anybody had any luck getting their builder to plant bushes around it? Get extra studio design credits? With all the restrictions on planting around a transformer, it's a major eyesore.
We signed our lot without knowing anything about it too..We had to take a gamble BC it was one of the only lots available with no lot premium so we said &*@ it we will just sign to save the $10k. I guess it's common for builders not to know anything about the lots before they release now because it took four months for us to get any info from our builder about our lot. Honestly though your builder also didn't know about the lot and without knowing that information you've already agreed to sign. So I don't think you can bargain anything at this point
Old 2019-12-12, 12:22 PM
Regular User

There are requirements for how close you can plant something around it. Trees are a big no-no because of how much their roots spread, so they can't be close. Bushes are possible, but not right near them, and it won't hide them. In short, there is no way to have it hidden by bushes or trees.

They absolutely had the plans when you signed your agreement. They have to get that **** approved by the city at the planning phase, so they 100% had it. That's negotiating in bad faith. Ask for a design credit.
Old 2019-12-12, 12:46 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCC View Post
There are requirements for how close you can plant something around it. Trees are a big no-no because of how much their roots spread, so they can't be close. Bushes are possible, but not right near them, and it won't hide them. In short, there is no way to have it hidden by bushes or trees.

They absolutely had the plans when you signed your agreement. They have to get that **** approved by the city at the planning phase, so they 100% had it. That's negotiating in bad faith. Ask for a design credit.
Our builder and a lot of the builders I ask do not have any info about the lot during release.
Old 2019-12-12, 01:37 PM
Regular User

Minimum clearances around transformers (at least for Hydro Ottawa and Hydro One) are 1.5m(5') from the edge of the concrete pad, not the transformer itself. Whichever side has the access door requires 3m(10') of clerance, this is a safety requirement for the Hydro worker's hot sticks if they ever have to go into the transformer. Also, anything metal will have difference clearances and requirements.

As for the builders not knowing about the locations, I don't know what the requirement is to sell a lot but they must have something. Ask to see a CUP plan (Composite Utility Plan). I think the agreement I signed even had it that the builder is supposed to supply this to me... Anyway, the CUP plans will show the locations of all transformers, Bell/Rogers pedestals, streetlights, fire hydrants and mail boxes. The only caveat is that things may change during the construction for any number of reasons. Even having those drawings in hand won't guarantee anything.
Old 2019-12-12, 01:55 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinecube View Post
Minimum clearances around transformers (at least for Hydro Ottawa and Hydro One) are 1.5m(5') from the edge of the concrete pad, not the transformer itself. Whichever side has the access door requires 3m(10') of clerance, this is a safety requirement for the Hydro worker's hot sticks if they ever have to go into the transformer. Also, anything metal will have difference clearances and requirements.

As for the builders not knowing about the locations, I don't know what the requirement is to sell a lot but they must have something. Ask to see a CUP plan (Composite Utility Plan). I think the agreement I signed even had it that the builder is supposed to supply this to me... Anyway, the CUP plans will show the locations of all transformers, Bell/Rogers pedestals, streetlights, fire hydrants and mail boxes. The only caveat is that things may change during the construction for any number of reasons. Even having those drawings in hand won't guarantee anything.
There are also digging requirements, and other limitations. They can't place a tree within something like 3M of them, and that changes by tree type & how their roots settle, etc.

But yes - the CUP can't guarantee, but if they do change something, they have to notify you & you can probably get some kind of compensation for it, too.
Old 2019-12-13, 09:05 AM
Regular User

I'm not sure if people understand, but yes the builder probably has information in regards to where electrical boxes and sidewalks are, but in today's market, the sales representative is not going to wait for the VP of construction to email them back saying they have the survey's and diagrams for the customers to see.

We were lucky because we were the last street on our phase so when we walked into the sales centre, the sales agents already had sidewalks, street lights, transformer and network boxes on a community survey for us to review. We actually had the option to choose lots.

As for my friend who purchased on the first street of the new phase, they had nothing. They did not know where the sidewalk, light post, or electrical box would be. They also didn't have a choice. There were 5 lots available and they had a draw for those 5 lots so it was either accept the lot they had won, or wait again for the next set of lots to be released and go through another lottery draw. It's a cut throat market and that's mostly why people aren't asking for lot information prior to purchasing.
Old 2019-12-13, 02:00 PM
Regular User

They can have lot layouts approved with sidewalks but without green boxes. I was sent what Mattamy is planning to do near me, and there is nothing about electrical boxes in it. If they are selling based on that, they may not be getting the rest approved until later. There is also a mention of mailboxes but their location is not finalized either.
Old 2019-12-14, 08:54 AM
Regular User

This information is available - maybe the builder doesn't want to release it to its sales office, but it is available from the City. Just search the City's Development Applications Search tool and you will find all the information that you need about the development.
Old 2019-12-14, 11:51 AM
Regular User

lot of houses plant stuff around them, just know they will be cut if the have to open them up.