Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2019-05-09, 06:09 PM
Regular User

Default Eavesdrough on a townhouse

My neighbour and i chose different companies for eavestroughing. His was installed last week and mine this week.
He has sent me a message on social media asking me to have the company come back and move the pipe as it comes down on "his side".
I'm not sure what to do here. Any tips would be appreciated. ( added photo. mine is on the left)

Last edited by mama_bee; 2019-05-09 at 06:17 PM.
Old 2019-05-09, 06:18 PM
Regular User

https://photos.app.goo.gl/rQJLxhyfNGeU2gMh8
Old 2019-05-09, 06:45 PM
Regular User

You could ask the company to add an extension and a bend so that it empties on to your side. Otherwise go to Home Depot, Lowes, CT and buy a flexible extension.
Moved In: April 10th 2010
Old 2019-05-10, 07:41 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianT View Post
You could ask the company to add an extension and a bend so that it empties on to your side. Otherwise go to Home Depot, Lowes, CT and buy a flexible extension.

Oh good Idea. I think another question becomes : since it's not touching the ground, is it considered "on his property"? Its secured onto "my" property and points out over his I guess...
Old 2019-05-10, 07:56 AM
Regular User

That is a normal install on a town. Its as close to your foundation as it can go. Also there is not much roof surface being drained there. Water wont be a problem.

You will need the downspout shortened to accommodate final grade.

Can you post a pic of the garage side and entire front of the house? Wondering where the upper roof drains to.
Old 2019-05-10, 08:50 AM
Regular User

If it points out over his i'd just move it. That kind of thing would bother me. I can't see the photo you posted from this computer, but draining onto walkways or driveways is just bad design. When I see houses where that's the only option (even carry over drains don't work) I cringe. I have a town as well.
Old 2019-05-10, 09:33 AM
Regular User

The company could've add an elbow and twisted the drain towards your lawn. Now as suggested Home Depot has a downspout extension for $10 which will match your color, I got mine yesterday.
https://www.homedepot.ca/product/eur...one/1000679002
Old 2019-05-10, 01:53 PM
Regular User

I don't think the neighbour is contesting just where it drains but that the downspout is on his side of the property line. From his point of view, I can understand it. If he says nothing, he's responsible for maintaining etc. If that's the case, the only option I see is for the downspout to come down in front of your pillar and not of the side, which is his property, I'm assuming?
Old 2019-05-10, 02:12 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama_bee View Post
Oh good Idea. I think another question becomes : since it's not touching the ground, is it considered "on his property"? Its secured onto "my" property and points out over his I guess...

My rear neighbours have trees and bushes along our rear fence. The branches often grow over to my side of the fence and through the chain link fence. Technically the branches aren't touching the ground on my side but I chop them off anyways since they are encroaching on my side.
Moved In: April 10th 2010
Old 2019-05-10, 08:19 PM
Regular User

I am just curious about it. Any one noticed the roof above the pipe? It goes over the neighbor's property line even more than the pipe. Based on the logic of the neighbor, does that part of roof even belong to OP or not?

Last edited by shimh; 2019-05-10 at 08:22 PM.