Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > York Region > Markham / Thornhill / Vaughan

Markham / Thornhill / Vaughan Arista, Aspen Ridge, Avant, Ballantry, BurOak, Sierra Homes, CastleSquare, H&R, Lakeview, Cathedraltown, Mattamy, Country Wide, Starlane, Esquire Homes, Fieldgate, Forest Hill, Royal Park Homes, Great West, Greenpark, Kylemore, Remington Homes, Silver Valley, Laurier, Madison, Monarch, Liberty, Rosehaven, Sky Homes, Touchstone, Kylemore

Old 2008-11-14, 02:48 PM
Regular User

Default Rental water heater

Hi there

We are thinking of not going to rent water heater in our new home for a few reasons - noise and value. if I remember correctly (and I looked over my contract and couldn't find any), there is clause in the sales agreement that specifically states water heater to be rented. From the previous experience, it's possible to
1. pay monthly rent and enjoy warranty;
2. pay off the heater for some crazy amount of money;
3. call the company and ask them to remove water heater.

I've looked at couple of stores and it makes sense financially to buy brand new water heater - with installation, total cost is roughly 650. This should pay off in less than 3 years, right?

Question: has anybody done this successfully?

Thank you!
Old 2008-11-15, 11:35 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlhunter View Post
Hi there

We are thinking of not going to rent water heater in our new home for a few reasons - noise and value. if I remember correctly (and I looked over my contract and couldn't find any), there is clause in the sales agreement that specifically states water heater to be rented. From the previous experience, it's possible to

I've looked at couple of stores and it makes sense financially to buy brand new water heater - with installation, total cost is roughly 650. This should pay off in less than 3 years, right?

Thank you!
Not sure about yours but our "mandatory" rental is a more energy efficient direct vent model - more expensive to buy and also more expensive to repair.

Is yours actually noisey?

Old 2008-11-16, 08:37 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlhunter View Post
Hi there

Thank you!
I did not know that owned tanks where quieter then rental tanks???? Must be something i missed in my 16years in the trade! LOL

Your roughly 650 price is way off. New homes do not have a B-vent chimney. 99.9% of homes do not use any chimney vents. So your looking at powervented tanks. Installed for around 1400-1800$ depending on make and model.

Once you own your tank, a typical service call will be:
99$ diagnosic
Parts
Labour

Calling mom and pop heating and cooling would also mean they likely dont have the parts since 95% or more of the tanks in ontario are rentals... Meaning why stock parts for appliances they will rarely service.

I admit as a service tech is a gamble. If you can get a solid 7-8years of problem free operation your ahead of the game.... but if you throw in a service call (300-700$ range) your then set back a few years paying off that in equivilent rental rates..

Unless you get a 10 year parts and labour warranty on your tanks and a company that will honor that warranty i would stick with rental...

The new generation of powervented tanks are a bit of a pain. Extra safeties put in the last few years have brought up some growing pains....
Old 2008-11-16, 04:27 PM
Regular User

The model we'll have is PVR50 made by Rheem. My parents have exactly same unit and it's very noisy. I am obviously not an expert, but I'll research the alternatives and report back.

Regarding price - your estimate might be right. The above model is $900 USD and installation from 2 sources ranges from 200 to 250 per unit. The problem I have is the noise coming from the fan, so this particular model, even if it's free, isn't going to make it in my house.

Anyway, thank you.

Last edited by dlhunter; 2008-11-16 at 04:32 PM.
Old 2008-11-16, 07:44 PM
Regular User

I would see if they can install a GSW or Giant then rental companies deal with multiple brands......

What you can find on google for pricing is not 100% reflective of what your local HVAC dealers will be installing for... But regardless your found a price in the 1300$+ range assuming electrical outlet is accecible and venting is straight forward.

The PV50 is loud i agree, but the are all fairly noisy. But both GSW and RHEEM offer a silencer kit for there PV tanks. Worth looking into....

The best tank i had ever seen was a very small run of a PV50 tank with a very quite ventor motor, not sure why the changed them but the motor they had on them was extremly quite.....

We be crapping on the manufactures for years everytime we meet with them in training sessions to get some motors that are less noisy... But it never happens.
Old 2008-11-17, 01:14 PM
Regular User

Thanks for your input. My folks have bungalow and HWT is located below bedrooms, so when it runs and is about to finish, fan makes jet-like take-off sound for about 30 sec. It's fine during the day, but if you take a shower late at night, nobody can sleep

As a side note: don't remember the model, but it was through DE and I could rarely hear HWT run in my previous home.