Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2018-05-25, 03:46 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fgc View Post
Thats good news, what colour?
A mix of shale and champlain grey.
Old 2018-05-29, 11:21 PM
Regular User

Thanks for the information everyone.

Seems like I'm having issues as well with finding a contractor. Either no responses or follow-ups, or prices are sky high.
Old 2018-05-30, 07:01 PM
Regular User

I'm looking at doing interlock also. What's the average price per square ft are you guys being quoted?
Old 2018-05-31, 09:03 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradford View Post
I'm looking at doing interlock also. What's the average price per square ft are you guys being quoted?
I'm finally getting bites from contractors. ~$15 sq/ft all the way to $25 sq/ft.
Old 2018-06-01, 12:10 AM
Regular User

Quote:
I'm finally getting bites from contractors. ~$15 sq/ft all the way to $25 sq/ft.
I've been having problems getting a hold of companies also. Just wondering which place gave you the lowest?
Old 2018-06-01, 11:04 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Is College Interlock still in the running? You mentioned them earlier, but recently mentioned you were having a hard time getting replies.

Unfortunately, I'm in the same boat. Making small progress with contractors, but a lot of the follow-ups have been initiated by me.
Old 2018-06-05, 06:25 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yodums View Post
Is College Interlock still in the running? You mentioned them earlier, but recently mentioned you were having a hard time getting replies.

Unfortunately, I'm in the same boat. Making small progress with contractors, but a lot of the follow-ups have been initiated by me.
Well they are still in the running until I decide who to choose! Still waiting.

I got a few quotes since, but they are sky high. Also most seem to only want to dig 8-9 inches which I don't think is enough.

What companies have you contacted?
Old 2018-06-06, 09:02 AM
Regular User

Quote:
I got a few quotes since, but they are sky high. Also most seem to only want to dig 8-9 inches which I don't think is enough.

What companies have you contacted?
Simply curious but why would you question a professional who suggested 8-9" deep? If a dentist said you needed your wisdom teeth removed, you wouldn't question them would you?
Old 2018-06-06, 03:01 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by xdarrylx View Post
Simply curious but why would you question a professional who suggested 8-9" deep? If a dentist said you needed your wisdom teeth removed, you wouldn't question them would you?
When you say 8-9" deep do you mean the foundation will be 8-9" deep? Or that you will excavate 8-9" deep? With all the clay we have in Barrhaven you should be looking at excavating at least between 12-14" which would give you a foundation of 8-10" (and then another 4" for the pavers and sand bed). Even a couple more inches would be better giving you a foundation of 12".

If you happen to have very sandy soil (which isn't the case most places in Barrhaven), then target a foundation that is at least 6" deep.
Old 2018-06-06, 03:34 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by xdarrylx View Post
Because Darryl as you and I both know from our previous interlock job, some contractors will cut corners and this is the most labour intensive part of the job that just so happens to be a bit of a "grey area", which makes it a prime candidate for cost cutting.

And I have to say, have you been to a dentist in downtown Ottawa recently? You ABSOLUTELY should question many of their upsell efforts, and watch for "liberal rounding" on the bill when it comes to "units" which is their way of measuring time-in-chair in 15 minute increments. Dentists are the new mechanics. OK this is a bit tongue and cheek - but it really is an issue especially when 90% of their clients are fully insured so don't have any incentive to question the billing practices....

Back on topic - did you ever reach out to Hard Rock Interlock for warranty work? I think he is out of business by now, all I can find online is a few poor reviews/warnings from a few years ago.

Cheers