Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Halton Region > Oakville

Old 2008-01-28, 12:27 PM

Cool Any Century Grove Homes members? (Upper Glen Abbey Estates Oakville)

Hi

Is there anyone on this forum that has bought from Century Grove Homes in Oakville? (upper glen abbey estates)

I would like to get some feedback on anyone's experience with the builder in terms of:

* finishing on time - our closing is end of August 2008, but I'm worried about delays
* quality workmanship
* helpfulness of decor staff and quality choices available
* upgrade costs
* post-sales service

I'd love to hear any positive or negative comments.

Thanks
Old 2008-01-29, 02:01 PM

Hi there,

We bought in Upper Glen Abbey and we're supposed to close at the end of March. They just started framing last week but we haven't received a letter of delay yet. I'm not sure they can finish in two months but who knows? I'm not having much luck contacting anyone at the moment. I call the head office and they give me the number of the sales office, which I call and no one answers.

Anthony at the decor centre was good. They try to book you for three hours but we ended up staying the entire day since he had a cancellation.
Prices were high, as always with a builder. Anything particular you're looking for in terms of upgrades?

Some examples:

2nd upgrade kitchen cabinets $1500
1st upgrade backsplash $1250
Stained stairs - $1800 per floor (so to do the stairs to the basement it's double)
Pickets - from $1600 to over $3000 (again, double to do the basement)
Small medallion - $250
Large medallion - $325
Structural Changes $500
Remove wall - $100
Add light in shower $300
Fridge enclosure $600
Pots and pans drawer $750
Kitchen crown molding $1600
Kitchen valence lighting $1800
Top Drawers $200 each
Revise Kitchen Layout $500
Water supply to fridge $250
Coffered ceilings $3600 each (and that's just for a very basic square grid pattern - it's NOT like the ceiling they have at the decor centre)

Last edited by Oakville Buyer; 2008-01-29 at 04:37 PM.
Old 2008-01-29, 02:34 PM

Default Thank you

Thanks so much for your response. I think they would have sent you a letter by now if they were going to delay - you're only two months out so that's great. We still have to put up our current home for sale so I wanted to time things right.

I was particularly interested in kitchen upgrades: our plan (redtail 2) does not look like it has a pantry so I definitely wanted to add one. I was also interested in asking about a built-in oven, glass fronted doors and the vent above the stove being covered in the cabinet material (just like in the model). The second upgrade price for the kitchen is not bad. How were the standard granite choices? Were the choices in general in the decor centre good? Has your experience so far been good with century grove? I don't seem to hear too much about this builder.

I think we'll plan on stopping in to the sales centre soon to ask about any potential delays. By the way, if you want to reach anyone at the sales centre - try calling after 1p.m.; i think they go in late and they are closed Fridays.

Thanks again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakville Buyer View Post
Hi there,

We bought in Upper Glen Abbey and we're suppossed to close at the end of March. They just started framing last week but we haven't receieved a letter of delay yet. I'm not sure they can finish in two months but who knows? I'm not having much luck contacting anyone at the moment. I call the head office and they give me the number of the sales office, which I call and no one answers.

Anthony at the decor centre was good. They try to book you for three hours but we ended up staying the entire day since he had a cancellation.
Prices were high, as always with a builder. Anything particular you're looking for in terms of upgrades?

Some examples:

2nd upgrade kitchen cabinets $1500
Stained stairs - $1800 per floor (so to do the stairs to the basement it's double)
Pickets - from $1600 to over $3000 (again, double to do the basement)
Small medallion - $250
Large medallion - $325
Structural Changes $500
Remove wall - $100
Add light in shower $300
Fridge enclosure $600
Pots and pans drawer $750
Kitchen crown molding $1600
Top Drawers $200 each
Revise Kitchen Layout $500
Water supply to fridge $250
Coffered ceilings $3600 each (and that's just for a very basic square grid pattern - it's NOT like the ceiling they have at the decor centre)
Old 2008-01-29, 02:52 PM

There were only a few granite selections if I remember correctly. We did upgrade one level - that cost $1040.

Built-in oven - $1800
Wiring for built-in oven $250
Decor canopy hood - $1800

I'm not sure about the pantry, to add one probably wouldn't be too much. And I can't remember what glass doors were.

I think choices in general were pretty good. They had quite a wide variety and we were able to upgrade a lot of things without going past their "upgrade 1 and 2" level. They go up to upgrade 5 I think.

Last edited by Oakville Buyer; 2008-01-29 at 03:52 PM.
Old 2008-01-30, 01:00 PM

Default thanks again

Thanks once again; I will write again if I find out anything about delays this weekend.
Good luck with your move.

Quote:
There were only a few granite selections if I remember correctly. We did upgrade one level - that cost $1040.

Built-in oven - $1800

I'm not sure about the pantry, to add one probably wouldn't be too much. And I can't remember what glass doors were.

I think choices in general were pretty good. They had quite a wide variety and we were able to upgrade a lot of things without going past their "upgrade 1 and 2" level. They go up to upgrade 5 I think.
Old 2008-01-30, 02:04 PM
Regular User

Quote:

Built-in oven - $1800

that's a good price for the decor canopy hood - fernbrook wanted $4500. don't forget to add about $1000 for the fan/blower insert for the decor canopy hood, and make sure you tell your builder if you need more than a 6" duct.
Old 2008-02-14, 01:04 AM
Regular User

Thumbs up

Quote:
Some examples:

Maybe just a suggestion. The price they are charging you for the backsplash & kitchen valance lighting (I assume it's under cabinet lighting, unless I am wrong?) is quite a lot & totally doable after closing with better quality materials IMO (like limestone or marble mosaics for your backsplash).

We just did our under cabinet lights recently & not that hard to do especially if you don't have a backsplash, you can easily just cut into the drywall & run your wires. You can get the fancy xenon halogen lights for less than $300 or even less if they go on sale like I got them

Also the stain price for the stairs is also high, nothing new. I assume the hardwood is standard & they need to varnish them anyways, why they would charge so much for the stain... If you want to save that money, why not ask the builder to leave the stairs unfinished & do it yourself after closing? I know it's a bit messy but you do save quite a bit.

Sorry if not my territory but I just couldn't help it. I guess I am trying to save you some money or at least put that money into some other upgrades like your new kitchen cabinets

Last edited by patrob; 2008-02-14 at 01:06 AM.
Old 2008-03-27, 03:11 PM

Default Upper Glen Abbey (Harmony)

Is there anyone who has purchased in Phase II? We are scheduled to close in October & are wondering about potential delays. It seems that most of Phase I is/has been delayed.
Old 2008-04-17, 03:31 PM

Default delays...

Sorry haven't heard anything about Phase II - our closing is Phase I at the end of August and we haven't received any letter yet notifying us about delays. I will probably try and track down Bernie the site supervisor soon as they have not dug our foundation yet.
Good luck.
Old 2008-04-17, 03:36 PM

Thanks for your input. We ended up not getting the valance lighting or the backsplash - we figured we could do it ourselves as well with better materials like marble. When we bought the house we negotiated the same stain on the staircase as in the other rooms into the overall price - I'm glad they threw it in as I would not want to do that messy job.

Other than that we made a ton of changes in our kitchen and the prices were not bad and they accommodated all our changes; their flexibility on the changes has been better than some other builders I've heard about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrob View Post
Maybe just a suggestion. The price they are charging you for the backsplash & kitchen valance lighting (I assume it's under cabinet lighting, unless I am wrong?) is quite a lot & totally doable after closing with better quality materials IMO (like limestone or marble mosaics for your backsplash).

We just did our under cabinet lights recently & not that hard to do especially if you don't have a backsplash, you can easily just cut into the drywall & run your wires. You can get the fancy xenon halogen lights for less than $300 or even less if they go on sale like I got them

Also the stain price for the stairs is also high, nothing new. I assume the hardwood is standard & they need to varnish them anyways, why they would charge so much for the stain... If you want to save that money, why not ask the builder to leave the stairs unfinished & do it yourself after closing? I know it's a bit messy but you do save quite a bit.

Sorry if not my territory but I just couldn't help it. I guess I am trying to save you some money or at least put that money into some other upgrades like your new kitchen cabinets