Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2019-04-29, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCC View Post
If you bought around the time of the Tornado last year, it's definitely a permit thing - because the City wasn't allowing new permits until all rebuild homes had theirs - it was like a 3-6 month window, if I'm remembering right.

That said, we certainly had a harsh winter with lots of snow, which delays any home that doesn't have its roof on.

The thing they are not advertising is that they are REALLY having supplier and labour issues - they're getting the rug pulled out from under them on costs of labour by other developers, and they are having mega supplier issues, mostly with Windows, as there's a massive issue with Mason windows.

This issue has been around for years, and they're only getting around to fixing old windows now. The trouble is that they continue to enter into purchase agreements with the idea that they'll close in 6-12 months, and they just delay everyone, knowing full well the home won't be built in 6-12 months because of labour/supplier issues, and weather.
Interesting. My Richcraft townhome in Bradley Commons is supposed to be ready end of October but they just poured the foundation last week...I wonder if I'll be delayed.
Old 2019-04-29, 10:31 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by heather86 View Post
Interesting. My Richcraft townhome in Bradley Commons is supposed to be ready end of October but they just poured the foundation last week...I wonder if I'll be delayed.
That timing seems about right... it could be ready in October. SUmmer is a lot easier to do construction
Old 2019-05-01, 12:48 PM
Regular User

We bought with Cardel in Blackstone. Our closing date was set for mid July and has been pushed to mid August. Some other friends of mine who bought on the same street have been pushed 2 weeks, and another didn't get delayed at all.
Old 2019-06-04, 05:25 PM
Regular User

Just a heads up, I got a second delay notice from Urbandale. Instead of beginning of September, I am looking at end of October.
Old 2019-06-04, 05:30 PM
Regular User

Oh wow.. how are we supposed to know when we can sell our existing home with this kind of unpredictability? They better build it VERY well then
Old 2019-06-04, 06:52 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athome2019 View Post
Oh wow.. how are we supposed to know when we can sell our existing home with this kind of unpredictability? They better build it VERY well then
We can only hope. The lady said they sold more houses than the trades people can keep up...fingers crossed.
Old 2019-06-04, 07:18 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mondler View Post
We can only hope. The lady said they sold more houses than the trades people can keep up...fingers crossed.
The good thing is that this is the last time they can delay you. If they delay again they owe you $150 a day.
Old 2019-06-05, 11:37 AM
Regular User

When to sell is a tough one these days.

One good option is to wait until the 90 day notice period and put it on the market then.

Planning up front to move twice eliminates a lot of stress and scheduling concern though.