Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2019-05-08, 02:09 PM
Regular User

Default lot choice in Arcadia New Release

Minto is releasing on Saturday and there is a long lineup already! Crazy...Is the market that hot? We are thinking of purchasing there and are deciding on the lot. Curious to know what people think important when choosing a lot - house direction, end unit vs. interior, property size, etc.

My current home's backyard is almost west facing, while I get a lot of sun it's too much in summer. Very hot in the afternoon and into the night because the house absorbs the heat. Grill under the sun...I would avoid a direct west facing lot.

I have a pie shaped lot, with front much larger and back slightly smaller. I like the fact that my house is far away from my neighbour, however it is a lot of yard work! And we don't use the front yard that much. Worse is the grass died on the whole street last summer, now we are looking at a large bill to landscape or replace the whole yard.

See the sitemap of Arcadia next release. Which lots would you choose and why?

https://www.minto.com/doc/ppages/38/...n_high-res.pdf

Last edited by biscoln; 2019-05-08 at 02:12 PM.
Old 2019-05-09, 12:51 PM

If you are thinking of buying in Arcadia, I hope you are aware of the long standing issue with the Campeau Dr extension to the Kanata Centrum. It's been several years since the initial release of Arcadia, and the Campeau extension has been postponed again and again. Sometimes I go from Kanata North to Tanger and the traffic on Richardson Side is backed up all the way from Huntmar to Terry Fox, due to the excess of cars on a 4-way stop intersection. Personally, I consider it ridiculous that Minto is even allowed to release any new phases in Arcadia before the Campeau extension issue is fixed.

As for the lots, my personal choice is for the least amount of neighbors around, even if it means a corner lot.
Old 2019-05-09, 05:41 PM
Regular User

Kain has some good points there which I was going to suggest you consider. I think the only reason to by in that particular development is if you need to be in that location for a good reason.
Old 2019-05-12, 04:36 PM
Regular User

I happened to be driving by Arcadia Saturday and couldn't believe people were camped out. I laughed out loud and thought the Minto Sales people were going to be laughing all the way to the bank. Unreal!
Old 2019-05-13, 07:21 AM
Regular User

The line started on Wednesday morning...more than 70 people camped out for 3 days, 3 nights for 50 something lots. I've never seen anything like this. Next release has 13 detached lots and people are talking about lining up for 5 days. Insane.
Old 2019-05-13, 07:24 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by KainCanada View Post
If you are thinking of buying in Arcadia, I hope you are aware of the long standing issue with the Campeau Dr extension to the Kanata Centrum. It's been several years since the initial release of Arcadia, and the Campeau extension has been postponed again and again. Sometimes I go from Kanata North to Tanger and the traffic on Richardson Side is backed up all the way from Huntmar to Terry Fox, due to the excess of cars on a 4-way stop intersection. Personally, I consider it ridiculous that Minto is even allowed to release any new phases in Arcadia before the Campeau extension issue is fixed.

As for the lots, my personal choice is for the least amount of neighbors around, even if it means a corner lot.
I heard that the extension was not completed because Minto wants to finish construction first, to avoid traffic during construction of the houses.
Old 2019-05-13, 09:18 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscoln View Post
The line started on Wednesday morning...more than 70 people camped out for 3 days, 3 nights for 50 something lots. I've never seen anything like this. Next release has 13 detached lots and people are talking about lining up for 5 days. Insane.
Yeah it was crazy... but it didn't impress one of the saleswoman working at the Arcadia office because she said people lined up two weeks in advance during the launch of Chapman Mills.

I feel like Minto could've raised their prices by 10k each on every executive town model and still sell out.

Their urban town (3 story) starting at 390k is terrible value though (all backing onto busy road too).
Old 2019-05-13, 07:21 PM
Regular User

I can see how the sales people would want to make you think this is 'normal'. I am quite sure they hiked the prices lots while looking at the long line, lol.

How can Arcadia even be desirable, it's very close to everything but I can't see how you could even walk anywhere to or from that area.

Side note: Phoenix has a funny sign outside Blackstone that says 'Towns from the $400's'.

I feel sorry for young and first time buyers paying these exorbitant prices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by electricsky View Post
Yeah it was crazy... but it didn't impress one of the saleswoman working at the Arcadia office because she said people lined up two weeks in advance during the launch of Chapman Mills.

I feel like Minto could've raised their prices by 10k each on every executive town model and still sell out.

Their urban town (3 story) starting at 390k is terrible value though (all backing onto busy road too).
Old 2019-05-14, 08:53 AM
Regular User

They didn't hike the prices high enough as people in line were already set on buying (FOMO at its finest). In the end demand greatly exceeded supply. Missed opportunity by Minto and I would've loved to see prices 10-20k higher.

Last edited by electricsky; 2019-05-14 at 09:04 AM.
Old 2019-05-15, 12:09 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by electricsky View Post
They didn't hike the prices high enough as people in line were already set on buying (FOMO at its finest). In the end demand greatly exceeded supply. Missed opportunity by Minto and I would've loved to see prices 10-20k higher.
They have competition, and they also have to think about long term - there are more phases to be released. Minto increased their Urban Townhome by $30,000 and it was not sold out on Saturday, even though the new urban towns have double car garage and more square footage. Many people who planned to buy urban opted to buy executive towns. Steady smaller increases keep people's enthusiasm and I think Minto's strategy is working. People signed up for next release already. I just wonder how long this frenzy is going to continue.