Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2019-05-11, 04:43 PM
Regular User

Default Townhomes backyard access and noise

I used to own a freehold townhouse where I can get to the backyard from the garage in order to use my lawnmower. Nowadays, the newer townhouses don't have that. Unless you have shed in the backyard, or own a lightweight manual mower, you need to go thru the nearest end unit to mow your lawn. I wondering how you are managing without access thru the garage. Another thing about townhomes is the common walls between units. Do you have any problem with noise, such as hearing conversations and hearing the vibrations of kids running up and down the stairs?
Old 2019-05-12, 06:48 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by emma008 View Post
I used to own a freehold townhouse where I can get to the backyard from the garage in order to use my lawnmower. Nowadays, the newer townhouses don't have that. Unless you have shed in the backyard, or own a lightweight manual mower, you need to go thru the nearest end unit to mow your lawn. I wondering how you are managing without access thru the garage. Another thing about townhomes is the common walls between units. Do you have any problem with noise, such as hearing conversations and hearing the vibrations of kids running up and down the stairs?
Sounds like you answered your own question. To get the lawnmower to your back yard you need to pass through the rear of other lawns. The fences between lawns will either have a gate or just have an opening.

Just so you know - "Nowadays" there are still lots of towns being built with rear garage doors to the rear lawns.
Old 2019-05-14, 07:04 AM
Regular User

I had a friend who lived in a interior unit and old not access her back yard as a neighbour had fully fenced it. When she contacted the city to complain, was told it was a civil matter and to pursue legal action to enforce. So, just know that should rear yard access become a problem, it will be difficult to resolve.

Some have taken to bringing their fences inward and creating a system of paths or lanes behind the property. Problem with this is no one looks after the lanes and it can be an area visited by children and teens up to who knows what.

As for noise, I wold suggest at a minimum you visit models and have friends go next door and make some noise. This may help you see what noise transference is like, just be aware though that the builders may have beefed up the sound deadening measures between the homes in the model homes. Pay very close attention to the upgrade sheets that are provided and ask them if the upgrades have been done. Model homes can often have larger windows, extra windows and modified interiors.
Old 2019-05-14, 09:26 AM
Regular User

I'm in an end unit townhome. I almost never hear anything from our neighbours. I heard some noise when they had their floors replaced but that was it.

As for access, my yard is fenced and has two gates. There is an easement registered on my property. Access is not necessarily from the nearest end. The survey will show where the easement and access is from.
Old 2019-05-14, 03:50 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by suezuki650 View Post
I'm in an end unit townhome. I almost never hear anything from our neighbours. I heard some noise when they had their floors replaced but that was it.

As for access, my yard is fenced and has two gates. There is an easement registered on my property. Access is not necessarily from the nearest end. The survey will show where the easement and access is from.
You're saying that if block of 4 townhouses it doesn't mean each middle unit use the nearest End-Unit to gain access?
How do you even read the Survey, it looks like a bunch of numbers and symbols to me
Old 2019-05-15, 08:49 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by alsh View Post
You're saying that if block of 4 townhouses it doesn't mean each middle unit use the nearest End-Unit to gain access?
How do you even read the Survey, it looks like a bunch of numbers and symbols to me
Often it is even but not always. When looking at the survey, you'll notice a strip along the sides of the end units and a strip along the back. That is the easement. If you look carefully along the strip in the back you should be able to see where the right of way is and where it stops.

When you are purchasing the property, you can also ask where you get access from.
Old 2019-05-15, 10:23 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by suezuki650 View Post
Often it is even but not always. When looking at the survey, you'll notice a strip along the sides of the end units and a strip along the back. That is the easement. If you look carefully along the strip in the back you should be able to see where the right of way is and where it stops.

When you are purchasing the property, you can also ask where you get access from.
So here is my survey (Part 2 highlighted) in block of 4 townhouses. The strip is along the other end unit, does this mean I don't have easement?

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	easement.JPG
Views:	94
Size:	106.1 KB
ID:	14676  
Old 2019-05-15, 10:52 AM
Regular User

It means you have a 1.2 meter easement on the side and at the back. I highlighted it in blue.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	easement.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	110.2 KB
ID:	14677  
Old 2019-05-15, 10:59 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by electricsky View Post
It means you have a 1.2 meter easement on the side and at the back. I highlighted it in blue.
Thanks!

Even thought the survey didn't mention easement on my part like it did on the other end unit!
Old 2019-05-16, 10:03 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by alsh View Post

Even thought the survey didn't mention easement on my part like it did on the other end unit!
Although in what you've shown us the words don't appear, the lines make it obvious that your neighbour will access their backyard along that blue path. You can fence on the inside of that and lose some backyard, or fence to the outside line, but provide two gates, one to get into your back yard from the side yard and one to get from the backyard to the other backyard.

My neighbours went through my backyard a fair bit when I first moved in (building decks, fences, that sort of thing). Now that I've been there a few years I barely notice and they are respectful. Living in a townhouse it's important to have good relations with your neighbours.