Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > General > Appliances and Furniture

Appliances and Furniture What fits? Where to get it? How will it look?

Old 2014-11-24, 09:26 AM
Regular User

Default Blue Star or Wolfe Gas Range?

Looking to see if anyone can help us decide on what Gas range to go with.

We are looking at between the Blue star 36" gas range with a indoor grill (charbroiler) or the 36" Wolf gas range with the indoor grill. Wanted to know if anyone has any experience with these units and what they would recommend.

Also the sales person advised that for the indoor grill its advisable to have a 42" hood fan with at least 900 cfm. Does anyone have any thoughts on that and if it will capture more than having a 36" hood range fan?

All opinions good and bad about each will be very appreciated.
Old 2014-11-24, 10:34 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitutd View Post
Looking to see if anyone can help us decide on what Gas range to go with.

We are looking at between the Blue star 36" gas range with a indoor grill (charbroiler) or the 36" Wolf gas range with the indoor grill. Wanted to know if anyone has any experience with these units and what they would recommend.

Also the sales person advised that for the indoor grill its advisable to have a 42" hood fan with at least 900 cfm. Does anyone have any thoughts on that and if it will capture more than having a 36" hood range fan?

All opinions good and bad about each will be very appreciated.
Right off the bat i should say that i may be a bit biased because i own a 36" Bluestar. however, I think you'll get much more value out of a Bluestar. Based on what i've seen from customer reviews Bluestars are pretty reliable whereas I've seen a lot of complaints about Wolf....mind you, Bluestar has its share of complaints as well, just not as much it seems.

On the performance side, you'll be getting some powerful burners on the bluestar, plus the open burner design...which i might add is a breeze to clean, contrary to popular belief (sealed burners are actually more painful to clean IMO). additionally the burner pattern on a Bluestar with the addition of an open burner design will give you more even heat distribution on the surface area of your cookware.

Other pluses for the bluestar is the size of the oven, simplicity in design (lack of electronics) and of course price.

I've been cooking on my bluestar for about a year and a half now and every time I look at it, i can't help but think about how good of a purchase it was....No regrets at all.

As for your other question in regards to range hood. When you start using professional style ranges, it is highly recommended that you get a range hood to match. the heat that these things give off is insane and for that you want proper ventilation. I would also recommend going with a wider range hood if your kitchen design allows it....so if you have a 36" range, a 42-48"
range hood would be ideal. from my own experience, i have a range hood with 1000 CFM at 36" to match my 36" bluestar, ang honestly i wish that i was able to get both a wider and more powerful range hood. Sometimes I cook up a storm and my range hood works great, but when i start using 3+ burners at the same time or when a lot of smoke is involved, it seems to get over powered and I end up opening the windows.
Old 2014-11-24, 12:51 PM
Regular User

Thanks Forum Ghost,

That was helpful, I am leaning towards the bluestar for some of the items you mentioned as well as the fact I really like the ease of cleaning and drip tray underneath. However, I also like Wolf and it seems to be more common to hear or read about a wolf range than bluestar.

In regards to the hood range, would you recommend over 1000 cfm?

Did you customize your bluestar (ie, colour, knobs, range pattern)?
Old 2014-11-24, 02:50 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Thanks Forum Ghost,

That was helpful, I am leaning towards the bluestar for some of the items you mentioned as well as the fact I really like the ease of cleaning and drip tray underneath. However, I also like Wolf and it seems to be more common to hear or read about a wolf range than bluestar.

In regards to the hood range, would you recommend over 1000 cfm?

Did you customize your bluestar (ie, colour, knobs, range pattern)?
I would recommend around 1000 cfm or higher if possible, but do your research first a there may be other steps you'll need to take if you go higher than 1000....or so i've heard

My bluestar is just the basic configuration with 6 burners. I wanted a grill in the center but i decided against it due to cost and I just bought a cast iron grill plate which i use when i need it. so far it's worked out great, plus when i need it, I still have 6 burners.

as for the Wolf vs bluestar thing. You hear about Wolf more because it's a highly regarded brand which has been around for a while. they are both what i'd call boutique brands, however i think Bluestar is more so. most people haven't even heard of Bluestar, because i don't think they've had the same kind of exposure and marketing push that Wolf has had.

to me it's like this. you're an average consumer with money to burn on a car. If i say to you, you have two choices, Ferrari, or Koenigsegg.....most people would go with the ferrari even after you explain what the Koenigsegg is and how it may be better than the Ferrari. It's all perception based on what they've heard or seen in their experience. to me it's more important to make an educated decision based on the facts and what might actually be right for you and your situation. if the answer in that regard is still ferrari, then that's the car you should buy
Old 2014-11-25, 12:36 PM
Regular User

Thanks Ghost_Forum,

I have researched a bit about Hood fans, but will definitely need to do some more.

I totally get what your saying with car anology, I guess I was looking at it from a wolf is a bit more known so servicing would be easier, plus I think they have a standard two year warranty. I am leaning towards bluestar so if I just need to find a retailer that will see it for the right price
Old 2014-11-25, 03:26 PM
Regular User

Costco has them at a decent price... and delivery is included They have an excellent return policy, you just have to find a way to get the 500lb beast to the store LOL
Old 2014-11-25, 03:48 PM
Regular User

Thanks, I do want to check out costco, I am just hoping they have an indoor grill model or could possibly order them for me. From what I have read so far the blue star costco cell are a speciality line for them, BTU's are lower and possibly a few other things but if it has the grill the BTU's I can live with. I am not a professional cook that can tell the difference lol
Old 2014-11-25, 09:09 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Thanks, I do want to check out costco, I am just hoping they have an indoor grill model or could possibly order them for me. From what I have read so far the blue star costco cell are a speciality line for them, BTU's are lower and possibly a few other things but if it has the grill the BTU's I can live with. I am not a professional cook that can tell the difference lol
I don't know where you're located but I got mine from Billa Appliances. the price i got was cheaper than Costco and they will order what you want, colour and all.
Old 2014-11-25, 09:37 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forum_ghost View Post
I don't know where you're located but I got mine from Billa Appliances. the price i got was cheaper than Costco and they will order what you want, colour and all.
Lol, I am living in scarborough until my house is built in brampton. Funny enough I have been there and my inlaws have purchased there appliances from them and so far they have had the best price but the sales guy didnt really know too much about the bluestar range. I have until next year at this time to purchase so I have been researching and comparing with different retailers. Thanks Forum_Ghost
Old 2014-11-26, 09:50 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Lol, I am living in scarborough until my house is built in brampton. Funny enough I have been there and my inlaws have purchased there appliances from them and so far they have had the best price but the sales guy didnt really know too much about the bluestar range. I have until next year at this time to purchase so I have been researching and comparing with different retailers. Thanks Forum_Ghost
Speak to Nindi only when you go to Billa. And tell him that Kerry "the Bluestar guy" sent you. lol it's kinda funny but i was the first person to request a Bluestar from them adn after i bought they started offering them.